Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Urian »

It will mean easy brown coloured wool for those who haven't realized you can smear the wool with something else as well.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:It will mean easy brown coloured wool for those who haven't realized you can smear the wool with something else as well.
And another food-source in a game over-saturated with them.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: And another food-source in a game over-saturated with them.
Unless they make it so that Steve can only eat them when NOT hungry and slow down his movements when eaten.
Yeah, this is crap.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:It will mean easy brown coloured wool for those who haven't realized you can smear the wool with something else as well.
And another food-source in a game over-saturated with them.

While still not fixing cake to be actually useful.

Back in the old food mechanics days, I had cakes strategically placed over my entire base, so I wouldn't need to have food in my inv unless I was venturing far outside. I was kinda hoping to do the same with hunger later on, using block dispensers to compensate for the increased demand, but 1 food bar per "slice".. just not worth it at all.

As for cocoa beans, well we knew they were coming, jeb has stated quite a long time ago that he will make them farmable. Eh, I'm not gonna fuss over this, it is small and minecrafty.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:As for cocoa beans, well we knew they were coming, jeb has stated quite a long time ago that he will make them farmable. Eh, I'm not gonna fuss over this, it is small and minecrafty.
Yeah, I agree with you there. It doesn't bug me, and I'm certainly a fan of doing small relatively useless features when the mood strikes me or I need a break from more serious work, it just doesn't excite me as a feature.

As Urian pointed out though, it does make sense in vanilla more from the dye standpoint, as there was no reasonable way to get brown dye (which is why I made dung useable as a dye to begin with).

I guess it did make sheep-farms valuable since the breeding mechanics were introduced though.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Besides its not a useless addition, its tieing up loose ends from the days of the legendary dungeon coco, that made little sense. I've wanted this for a long time myself.
You're stretching Panda :)
Stretching like a kitty cat!
Never say no to Panda.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

The food system has really been kind of irrelevant since the introduction of watermelons, which I believe was more or less at the same time :)

Thankfully, BTW allows us to convert much of the extra food into tallow, and thus dynamite :D Gotta love standing on a dirt tower during the night, flinging dynamite at creepers...
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

New snapshot 12W19A http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/495- ... r-testing/
  • Added cocoa plants to jungles
    Added a “large biomes” world type
    Added specific names for the different sandstone and smooth stone blocks
A large Biome option sounds nice, at least I hope it is lol :P I am curious just how large they actually are.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Hmmmm... Large biomes sounds intriguing. I'll have to check this out.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I spent a good half-hour flying just under cloud level to try to trace the outlines of a taiga biome in one of the "lage biomes" worlds before I gave up, and I had to be 2k blocks away from the starting point. So, very.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

That's, frankly, awesome. I'm going to have to figure out how to convert my existing world into one of those. Heck, I'll just start a new world and MCedit my island into the middle of an ocean if I have to. Holy Hell, reasons to sail places.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

large biomes sound fun (yay for almost-flat deserts) for when you want a more organic base, and want to keep a specific biome colour around. I wonder if it affects rivers at all?

Cocoa beans will be a nice automation to make though. Sounds like netherwart, but on the side of a tree and far less useful :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Lol, I just saw this on Reddit:
Fixed redstone updates not propagating through unloaded chunks
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Lol, I just saw this on Reddit:
Fixed redstone updates not propagating through unloaded chunks
Hehehe...like I said, I knew this was likely to be fixed in a future update.

Mojang was obviously interested in fixing this kind of thing when they made updates save on chunk unload. What I did wouldn't have been feasible otherwise.

I viewed what I did as just correcting a temporary oversight on their part.

Anyways, BTW users got it a month earlier than otherwise ;)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

IMO, large biomes will just make spawners above oceans even easier than before...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't understand how having large biomes changes anything in that regard...
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Sarudak wrote:I don't understand how having large biomes changes anything in that regard...
Well I don't know about everybody else, but I found it hard to find an ocean the was 144 blocks in all directions from land.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

The FlowerChild seed still produces a survival island like spawn, it's more then 144 blocks of water in all directions :) I wonder what larger biomes would do to that, anyone wanna test it out?
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:The FlowerChild seed still produces a survival island like spawn, it's more then 144 blocks of water in all directions :) I wonder what larger biomes would do to that, anyone wanna test it out?

I expect regular seeds will produce entirely different results with large biomes. The way biome generation works is *extremely* fragile when it comes to small changes in the variables that determine what's in the world.

It basically works like the butterfly effect. Subtle changes in the initial state are hugely magnified in the end result.
Crismon

Post by Crismon »

I love the new map type...

The seed used is FlowerChild. On defalut and Large Biomes the starting island is exactly the same. Everything is the same...
So I got a map. I've gone to x 0 and went to z+ until I would hit another biome.

Default:
Spoiler
Show
And... Large Biomes:
Spoiler
Show
Still nothing. That is how biomes should have been... Well, at least we can call this a Real Ocean now.
Learned english on videogames...
That's why I sound weird.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I'm very particular about my base positioning. Even moreso since HCB. What usually happens, though, is I find a nice snowy biome with an elevated, covered lake, and the only reasonable location for my base has a wonderful view.... of a sandy desert. :p

This new biome configuration is going to be really nice since I'll be starting a new world soon.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Crismon wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Still nothing. That is how biomes should have been... Well, at least we can call this a Real Ocean now.
Damn that's a lot of water, I love it! So FlowerChild is even more of a survival island with the new large biome option :) I feel there is some hidden meaning in relationship to the names? perhaps it is reflective of just how much FC loves to troll us :P
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Hmmm... Maybe I'll drop castaway into that seed, then.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hmm I dunno.. Larger biomes is a mixed bag. Personally I think it makes for a boring view.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

You could argue that it gives an experience similar to BOD, where there is an need to set up various checkpoints across your world. For example, if you set up your home in a desert, you need to travel long distances to get wolves, cats, snow golems, etc.