What other mods do you use?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
mazer246

What other mods do you use?

Post by mazer246 »

I have been playing BTW ever since it first came out. But I have never kept a world for long due to the fact that I kept adding and removing various mods into my jar and then deleting the world because things got too messed up. Now I just want to start a new world and not change anything around but before I do that I want to get a nice combo of mods together. That is why I am wondering what mods you guys use. My last set up had: BTW, SmartMoving, Mo' Creatures, Zepplins, and BattleGear. I plan on removing the last 3 but feel like my world would feel kinda bare... So any suggestions?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
walker_boh_65

Re: What other mods do you use?

Post by walker_boh_65 »

mazer246 wrote:I have been playing BTW ever since it first came out. But I have never kept a world for long due to the fact that I kept adding and removing various mods into my jar and then deleting the world because things got too messed up. Now I just want to start a new world and not change anything around but before I do that I want to get a nice combo of mods together. That is why I am wondering what mods you guys use. My last set up had: BTW, SmartMoving, Mo' Creatures, Zepplins, and BattleGear. I plan on removing the last 3 but feel like my world would feel kinda bare... So any suggestions?
That's simple. Better then Buildcraft.
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Yea, I used to have that but it got removed after it fell behind in updates. As a general rule for me, BTW takes priority over any other mod.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

It should be coming out within the next few days. I use timber as cutting trees gets VERY annoying.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Aside from the obvious, I use SimplyHorses and Better Dungeons. I like to add mods like that to keep the technical/adventure ratio of the good ol' days. BTW, as amazing as it is, still shifts the balance quite a bit to the technical side, so I like to keep it even.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Timber (cuttimg down trees is boring and the physics make no sense)
Somnia (again, vMC behaviour while sleeping doesn't make much sense)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Going to move this to off-topic as it's not really BTW related.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

In my first world I tried basically every mod that was compatible with BTW at some point. Then I went through update hell from 1.1 to 1.2, and decided that my new world was going to use as few mods as possible, to minimize waiting for updates.

My must haves are BTW, Smartmove, Somnia, and Zeppelin. These four give me the minecraft experience I want. BTW for obvious reasons. Smartmove because in real life I'm a traceur, and I can't stand videogames where my avatar is less mobile than I am IRL. Somnia because I want to be able to sleep through my production runs instead of going AFK. And Zeppelin because no matter how buggy it is it's the only real choice for making sailing boats and airships.

I also have a few optional installs. I've got a few of Risugami's little ones: shelves, armor stands, and more stackables. They're pretty safe, i figure, because almost all mods have to wait for modloader anyway. I use Raust's tools with the BTW add-on, because they are awesomely useful. Especially the kukri. I also use the BTW Deco add-on (or Better homes and Gardens, as I refer to it.) It's still in the testing phase, waiting for the extended block ID before finalization, but it's a nice addition of little hobbies and crafts that use the BTW crafting tools to achieve more interesting recipes than a bunch of crafting grid stuff. I could lose any of these if I had to, but I'd rather not.

I will not use any mod that effects world-gen. Because it would mess up my map eventually.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I'm a bit of a purist. I only use BtW, and for utility mods I use more stackables, because FUCK YOU SIGNS!, and sign tags, which I don't actually use any more since you can check light levels with f3 now. I also use craft guide, but that is almost useless with btw since naturally it does not include anvil, crucible, cauldron and kiln recipes.

I used to use enderman not picking up blocks mod, because of my ocd, but I'm actually trying to get over that ocd so I don't use that any more.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

I pretty much keep my mod installs spartan to the mod I'm playing. At the moment I have 2 mod profiles setup in MCPatcher. One for BTW and one for Forge. Likewise, I have 2 worlds. One for BTW and one for Thaumcraft (only reason I have forge actually). I find stacking complex mods on top of each other leaves you with a mess gameplay wise and world wise.

I do install somnia on my BTW install (again, through MCPatcher), but nothing else.

Really, if you're trying to keep a world around, you just need to pick the set of mods you're going to use on that world and don't change that set unless they're utility mods like somnia or timber which don't add items, blocks, or futz with world gen in any way.

Also, investigate the mod install option of MCPatcher. VERY handy. Saved me a lot of work updating to each version of BTW and spotting potential conflicts with other mods. It also makes rollbacks and other mod installs alot easier.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah. I suppose it's funny that my "minimal mods" policy still has me using, like, 8 mods. Curse you, Kaos and Raust, for making such great little additions!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

On my BTW profile, I only use BTW and the HD patcher so I can use a 32x pack. However, on my multiplayer profile, I use the multithreaded version of Optifine and a minimap.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Roablin

Post by Roablin »

I have always used tons of mods, but BTW always takes its rightful place as the only tech mod. I like to have Battle Towers, a bunch of Kodiachi's mob mods, Optifine, FMDebug mod, clay soldiers, MAtmos, Single Player Commands, Mine Little Pony, and the portal gun od.

Many of these cycle around, there are few content adding ones besides BTW. I learned my lesson when the Scaffolding guy never updated, and one third of my world disappeared. A bunch of these are doomed to incompatibility soon until the mod api comes out, such as Battle Towers and the portal gun mod.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

On my current BTW world, I am using BTW ofc, along with Better Ore Distribution and Rei's Minimap - These last two kinda go together in my book, as getting lost and forgetting where your mines are does nothing but make me more frustrated. Kinda disappointed with BOD though...

I generally prefer Optifine over MCPatcher, not sure why really.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

BTW, Optifine, And (When it's updated) Vanilla. Usually only the first two though.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

Yeh, I think my final setup is gonna be something like this.

First of all, I like using MagicLauncher to install my mods, it's nice and simple.

Optifine
BTW
Simply Horses
SmartMoving
Zombie Dismemberment (Check this out, pretty sick)

Anyways thanks for sharing!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I just use Timber because floating trees bug the crap out of me. Sometimes I'll swap to a jar that has TMI installed so I can switch on creative mode to erase floating jags of mountain for a similar reason. Otherwise I'd spend a third of my minecraft time climbing up there and removing them all by hand.

I do plan on using Kaos' addon once the block id expansion takes place.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I used to use timber or treecapitator all the time... But now with jungle trees it feels kinda op and I haven't used it for my last couple games.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

MCPatcher or Optifine for HD
BTW - Duh
kaos78414 Art Deco mod - Because its cool
Somnia - Because the world does not wait for me to wake up
Rei's Minimap - I love having a minimap of my surroundings and using waypoints, because I forget where I put things.
Better ore distrubution - I like how hard it is to find the needed ores and the payoff for succesfully 'prospecting' out a vein. Also creating a minecart network in between my base and my mining site is cool. However it does have its drawbacks. Current world I have found 2 veins of iron, 1 of gold, 1 of diamond. Nothing else. Coal is made from my (diminishing) jungle. Redstone is synthesised with BTW.

I would use one of the tree chopping mods however I find it to be too unbalanced. If there was a mod that has an extreme cost to create the instrument that can cut down a jungle (enchant? expencive crafting?) then please let me know.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I actually don't chop down the big jungle trees with Timber because then I have to go up and clear the canopy manually anyway, defeating the purpose.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Aside from the obvious, I use SimplyHorses and Better Dungeons. I like to add mods like that to keep the technical/adventure ratio of the good ol' days. BTW, as amazing as it is, still shifts the balance quite a bit to the technical side, so I like to keep it even.
I think I want to add some more adventure to mt world. How do you find better dungeons? Anyone know anything else that will automatically generate more adventury things in the world?
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

DaveYanakov wrote:I actually don't chop down the big jungle trees with Timber because then I have to go up and clear the canopy manually anyway, defeating the purpose.
Why? Don't the leaves just decay? You could also just turn on the config option that destroys leaves along with the logs.
About my mods, I use Timber, Doggy Talents, ExtraBiomesXL, Inventory Tweaks and NEI (for recipes).
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Other than BTW, I use somnia and inventory tweaks.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
DumbassTurtle

Post by DumbassTurtle »

Mostly I am rather anti-mod, or at least very minimalistic in what I find to be worthy of install.

But some mods I can't live without.

SSP/SMP:
modloader - obviously.
zombe - always in my jars because I can't live without the 'safe' part of the mod (torch OCD /twitch/).
tmi - for my test worlds as creative sucks.
rei's minimap - because I have no sense of direction in game what-so-ever.

SSP only:
BTW - <3 (it's so wonderful to have unconditional acceptance and encouragement of my evilness)
kaos's Deco Add-on - Of course it has hawt sexy stuffs!

Some others that I am currently using or trying out:
Better Enchanting - overwrites BTW enchanting changes (gm.class)
Higher Enchanting - gets really expensive quickly!

I've just started using DoggyTalents and MagicCats recently and so far I've got some slave... I mean helpful fisher dogs.
I have crackedEgg's Parachute mod installed I just have not gotten around to trying it out, looks like fun though.

Also after reading this thread I am also going to try out Somnia and Timber. \o/
Eh something, something...
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Modloader
Better Than Wolves
Kaos Deco Add-on
Optifine

I used to also use Mo' Creatures, the Birds Mod, Battlegear, and Smart Moving, but then Mo' Creatures went forge, I got rid of Smart Moving and Battlegear because I wanted the composite bow charging animation, (:P), and as for the Birds Mod, I just wanted to have one less mod to deal with.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln