BTW Deco Add-on (pre-release v0.4.5 - updated 6/11)

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
kaos78414

Re: Working on a BTW addon(Prerelease out! Backup worlds fir

Post by kaos78414 »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Oh My God. This addon is AWESOME.

The fireflies are just so simple and yet so entertaining. I love how you can catch them and make japanese lamps, that's so much fun. What I also love doing is getting my dogs to chase after them, it's hilarious and adorable. I'm impressed after literally making TWO recipes. You should feel proud of yourself, this is an epic add-on :)
Haha wow. Thanks Raust, it's great hearing that from another modder :)

News-related: There'll be some changes incoming for the next release, and a lot of bug fixes. No new content though, I'm trying to make sure its as balanced and bug-free as possible before the extended block ID's.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

But Bugs are people's favorite part of the mod!
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:What I also love doing is getting my dogs to chase after them, it's hilarious and adorable.
Please, you gotta post a video of that....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

jorgebonafe wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:What I also love doing is getting my dogs to chase after them, it's hilarious and adorable.
YES YES YES

I must see this. Not because I have had alcohol but because it is awesome.

[[Please don't edit this Battosay! <3]]
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Under what conditions do bees make hives again? I as because I'm working on an auto-honey collector, and I can't seem to get the bees to use the darn things
Here's the setup:
Spoiler
Show
The theory is that the hive would spawn under the leaf block, which would interrupt the lens light, turning off the BD and sucking in the hive. This uninterrupts the light, which spits out the honeycomb item into the hoppers below. But so far no hives have formed. This is all underground with no nearby caverns.

Perhaps the bees won't make hives because the len's ghost blocks make them think the square is full?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Under what conditions do bees make hives again? I as because I'm working on an auto-honey collector, and I can't seem to get the bees to use the darn things
Here's the setup:
Spoiler
Show
The theory is that the hive would spawn under the leaf block, which would interrupt the lens light, turning off the BD and sucking in the hive. This uninterrupts the light, which spits out the honeycomb item into the hoppers below. But so far no hives have formed. This is all underground with no nearby caverns.

Perhaps the bees won't make hives because the len's ghost blocks make them think the square is full?
Yeah that is a problem. I tried to build a similar setup, but the lens is causing them not to spawn. The conditions are a leaf block on top, an empty block below the target block, and no blocks on each of the 4 sides. Will be fixed by next release - I'm just going to create exceptions to the rule: block dispensers, lens light blocks, and pistons will be ignored.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

kaos78414 wrote:
Yeah that is a problem. I tried to build a similar setup, but the lens is causing them not to spawn. The conditions are a leaf block on top, an empty block below the target block, and no blocks on each of the 4 sides. Will be fixed by next release - I'm just going to create exceptions to the rule: block dispensers, lens light blocks, and pistons will be ignored.
I'm not sure, but if the detector block logic isn't the same as the lens one you also have to create an exception for that I suppose.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

jorgebonafe wrote:

I'm hoping my computer can still do video effectively. But the annoying thing is that the dogs kill the fireflies when they catch them, and it makes the bone-crunching sound when that happens, which makes the whole thing decidedly less cute :(
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
National Zombie

Post by National Zombie »

This is not really a bug! but more of an inconvenience,..

Is there anyway to make beehives well get destroyed if you cut down a tree... the same way that leaves disapear when there are no logs...

i have a honeysuckle "tree" cause i like the bees flying around... but apparently it was too close to my Tree Farm... and after cutting down my 20 trees and planting new ones,. i went to sleep, brush ma teeth, sat in the cauldren ye know what steve does in the morning... and noticed about 15 or so floating beehives i was like wait what! make me chuckle ... untill i had to clean them up XD

Many thanks!!

BTW!! i am loving this add on more than any other mod i have installed!! (in the process of building steve a Japanesse style town)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kaos78414 wrote:Yeah that is a problem. I tried to build a similar setup, but the lens is causing them not to spawn. The conditions are a leaf block on top, an empty block below the target block, and no blocks on each of the 4 sides. Will be fixed by next release - I'm just going to create exceptions to the rule: block dispensers, lens light blocks, and pistons will be ignored.
During my periodic stops here, I think I just noticed something else I can help you with here :)

The trick with these blocks, is not to test for a blockID of zero as being a valid block to place another one in. The trick is to use IsAirBlock() in world.java to test for that instead.

That's actually a vanilla function that I've modified so that much of the vanilla code treats those kinds of blocks as air. Unfortunately, its usage is not consistent throughout the vanilla code (there's still a lot of places that are hardcoded to test for zero), which is also why I have to do a number of base-class changes I might not have to otherwise.

So yeah, if you replace any tests you are making vs a blockID of zero with that call, you should be golden without having to worry about the individual blockIDs involved.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

As long as you are here, do you have any advice on building tech trees and how features interact with each other to create a whole? It's part of what sets BTW apart from other mods, and so I think any BTW add-on would benefit from some advice from the master in that regard.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:As long as you are here, do you have any advice on building tech trees and how features interact with each other to create a whole? It's part of what sets BTW apart from other mods, and so I think any BTW add-on would benefit from some advice from the master in that regard.
Erm, not really man. Given the volume of traffic in this thread I just pop by periodically to check if everything is in order and how things are moving along. Such advice would require me to read through the entire thread and spend a fair amount of time play-testing and taking notes on the mod.

Specific questions I can answer. Something that broad would require a significant time investment and ultimately just boils down to experience. Also, this is kaos's mod, so even if it is an add-on, I think it should ultimately be a reflection of him, and what he wants in his game, not me. It will ultimately turn out best if he feels comfortable expressing himself creatively, and I don't think having another modder looking over his shoulder and critiquing his work is necessarily the best way to achieve that.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

National Zombie wrote:Is there anyway to make beehives well get destroyed if you cut down a tree... the same way that leaves disapear when there are no logs...
Noted, should be fixed by next release.
FlowerChild wrote:-IsAirBlock-
Thanks! That certainly makes things easy on me. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kaos78414 wrote:Thanks! That certainly makes things easy on me. :D
Np :)
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Any ideas for a name for this add-on yet, Kaos?

After 5 minutes about 20 seconds of brainstorming, I thought of "naturecraft", but that's pretty really bad and I'm sure that you could come up with a better one. :)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Any ideas for a name for this add-on yet, Kaos?

After 5 minutes about 20 seconds of brainstorming, I thought of "naturecraft", but that's pretty really bad and I'm sure that you could come up with a better one. :)
Inspired by you, Yamboyz1, I thought about it for a few seconds ... Seeing as it's about hobbies, how about "HobbyCraft"?
Here in the UK that's actually a massive nationwide craft superstore, so I ended up laughing once I had thought of it ...
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Eriottosan wrote:how about "HobbyCraft"?
That's actually better than what I've thought of so far. Hmmm.. I'm still thinking about it, though.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Kaos' BTW addon? ;)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'm still pushing for "Better Homes and Gardens"
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

kaos78414 wrote:
Eriottosan wrote:how about "HobbyCraft"?
That's actually better than what I've thought of so far. Hmmm.. I'm still thinking about it, though.
HobbyCraft isn't actually terrible, but I only suggested it because it made me laugh (I'm assuming HobbyCraft doesn't exist in the USA ...). Name it whatever you like. The main thing I care about is ...

I GET TO DOWNLOAD IT TOMORROW :D.
TheAnarchitect wrote:I'm still pushing for "Better Homes and Gardens"
Now that is nice!
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

hahaha! As hilarious as that name is, I don't think I can get over that its also the magazine. But the name really doesn't matter to me, maybe I'll put up a poll and let you guys decide. I'll just concentrate on coding :D

I should have a release with quite a few bug fixes and changes coming sometime this week - I think the add-on is starting to come together.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

kaos78414 wrote:
hahaha! As hilarious as that name is, I don't think I can get over that its also the magazine. But the name really doesn't matter to me, maybe I'll put up a poll and let you guys decide. I'll just concentrate on coding :D

I should have a release with quite a few bug fixes and changes coming sometime this week - I think the add-on is starting to come together.

Better Then Gardens and Homes

edit: or is it Than?
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The fact that it's also the magazine is what makes it hilarious. Otherwise it would just be a straitforward description of the mod.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Anarchitect, between us we have managed to suggest two names that exist in the real world ... I'm not sure whether that's great minds thinking alike, or the minds of fools barely differing with a lack of creativity ...
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Yeah, one of the things I learned in my research on starting businesses is that practically every name you can think of has been used and trademarked at some point. Throw out a random string of words and chances are it's trademarked somewhere. Finding out who owns the rights to what you want to call your business, and locking down your own right to use it legally, is a task every entrepeneur has to face.