Massive yog-related face-palm

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Graphite

Re: Massive yog-related face-palm

Post by Graphite »

The "specs" do have a bit of an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink feel to them, but I guess only time will tell how it ends up. I do get the feeling that their closed beta at the end of the year remark might be a bit premature (unless they're going for the perpetually beta approach minecraft followed/follows).

What surprises me is that people actually gave money after that particular video. I never would've thought a "we squandered the money, so please give us some more" sales-pitch would actually be an effective way to raise capital... you know, I am almost broke at the moment...

Anyhow, one thing's for certain, though: if those two are voice-acting anything in that game (which I suspect they will), I'll be steering well clear of it.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Somehow this makes me thinks of Justin Bieber perfume...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

In your face, Notch... In your face...
>_>

I guess they hold a grudge....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Now, I wonder how they got four 5k donations and five 10k donations... What sane person would do that?!
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Spoiler
Show
Seriously, is there hope for humankind? Maybe the mayans were right after all.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I'm with the Anarchitect on this one.

Why give a fuck?

It just goes to prove that we "care" although we usually try to pretend we don't.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I'm a programmer But i don't know anything about Java. From what I understand Java is heavy and bloated is it not? Though Minecraft could never be replaced, and I wouldn't play anything Else, but in theory wouldn't it be a good idea to start in a more efficient language? Maybe that's one good thing they have going for them?
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

In the past Java used to have a bad rep as far as performance went. This could mostly be blamed by the time it took the the JVM to "boot up" before it actually even started running the code. Theoretically it even has the potential to be faster than native code, because the just-in-time-compiler can optimize its generated code based to the exact capabilities of your computer. Practically though, I highly doubt it does this :P

As with all programming-languages and environments, it's all about knowing what you should and shouldn't do and knowing the tools you have at your disposal. I think the bloated part is mostly in the various libraries you can use, but those can be avoided entirely if you're so inclined. And considering most 3d engines have some native code dlls (or whatever else is suited on other platforms), I'd expect that the graphics-performance would be up to the challenge.

Mind you, it's been ages since I've done anything in Java, so my knowledge about its current state might not be the best.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

We knew that a kickstarter funded game was going to do a spectacular crash and burn sooner rather than later. The only thing that surprises me here is that Yogscast is making a game at all.
Better is the enemy of Good
Nazara

Post by Nazara »

Poppycocks wrote:I'm with the Anarchitect on this one.

Why give a fuck?

It just goes to prove that we "care" although we usually try to pretend we don't.

Thirding this sentiment here.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

no words can describe the facepalms of any who have seen that.

so, when's the apocalypse?
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

There's a giant pedestal, with the greatest, most extravagant decorations. And on that pedestal, everyone, is where I would put a fuck... if I gave one.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Horizon wrote:There's a giant pedestal, with the greatest, most extravagant decorations. And on that pedestal, everyone, is where I would put a fuck... if I gave one.
Yeah...that's great guys. If you don't give a fuck, there are plenty of other threads to post to. Multiple people saying so in each individual thread would quickly get extremely tiresome...and that's exactly what's happening here.

Will note which of you have chimed in on this though, so I can respond in kind to your next suggestion thread or bug report.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah...that's great guys. If you don't give a fuck, there are plenty of other threads to post to. Multiple people saying so in each individual thread would quickly get extremely tiresome...and that's exactly what's happening here.

Will note which of you have chimed in on this though, so I can respond in kind to your next suggestion thread or bug report.
Sorry bro, but I'm with the "I don't give a fuck" as well.
As Storm said, the only thing I thought was :
Stormweaver wrote:Now all the yognaughts can fuck off to their own game.
so ... moving on :)
Better things to think about.
Like that lil' scratch near my ass. It itches.
I should consult.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Like that lil' scratch near my ass. It itches.
I should consult.
Must be herpes.

If you scratch it enough, does it bleed?
Horizon

Re: Massive PHALLUS yog-related face-palm

Post by Horizon »

...shutting up now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I massively facepalmed when I first saw this project on kickstarter. This is what I think the Yogcast was thinking "Let's make a game we could care less about and use kickstarter to take our fans money to do it!"

putting a bet down that the game will turn out to be nothing like what they're planning.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Took a bit of searching to find it again, but when i first saw that the yogs people were putting out thier own game i thought that it looked verrrrry similar to this guy:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/901 ... building-g

No rage, only curiosity as to where it will go! ^_^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Worst name ever, but that tech-demo looks quite impressive. Looks like it might be tricky to build a nice house with that engine though, but I'm sure he'll figure something out for that as well
clonew09

Post by clonew09 »

Lewis and Simon can barely manage a simple jumping puzzle - so the Yogscast aren’t going to be doing any actual coding!
What does this say about Yogcast?
I am more humble than you.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OK, I looked at the tech demo videos from both projects, and I have only come away with this:

Paintbrushes? Really?

So, you're going to go with the object editing tool with the least precision and the least immersion? That seems like a good choice?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

Am I the only one looking forward to their legion of fans asking "WHY NO GAME YET?!?!?!?!!!!" a week after the money goes through?
Ah, I can taste the trapped, tormented cries of the ignorant already. Tastes like... wolfchop.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

fearofshorts wrote:Am I the only one looking forward to their legion of fans asking "WHY NO GAME YET?!?!?!?!!!!" a week after the money goes through?
Ah, I can taste the trapped, tormented cries of the ignorant already. Tastes like... wolfchop.
Of course, how are they going to explain to their parents how they stole their credit card for a game that isn't even out a week after it was announced?
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

TheAnarchitect wrote:OK, I looked at the tech demo videos from both projects, and I have only come away with this:

Paintbrushes? Really?

So, you're going to go with the object editing tool with the least precision and the least immersion? That seems like a good choice?
Hey, at least the pickaxe in your hand moves while you use the paintbrush on a wall 200 feet away. That counts for something, right? Guys? Right?

(lol)
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said