Lens question

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

Lens question

Post by DaveYanakov »

Will the lens as planned illuminate the first solid block in the path at a light level 14-15, similar to if a torch had been placed on it or will it simply transmit a signal to another lens? If it's the former it would finally mean an end to having to clutter floors with dozens of torches and would be beautiful but I can understand if it would be beyond the engines capability.
Better is the enemy of Good
magikeh

Re: Lens question

Post by magikeh »

... sounds cool but if i can remember correctly the lens is/was made to amplify the redstone torches distance (with a detector block on the other end(to recieve the signal))

but i think that a glass floor with lens pointed upwards into the celing would be a pretty cool effect!

EDIT: is this more of a suggestion? god, i gotta stop over thinking things!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I remember a post made that said they'd be able to be used to light up a screen from a distance, so I doubt they'd have a lamp-like effect. More like a spotlight or something.

I'm more looking forward to the optimised circuitry tbh...crazy things will be made.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Stormweaver wrote: I'm more looking forward to the optimised circuitry tbh...crazy things will be made.
Not really, redstone power can already be transmitted up in a 1x1 space, and down in a 1x2 space. But it will definitely help with reducing transmission time and materials used, plus look much nicer :>
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

grimper12341 wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: I'm more looking forward to the optimised circuitry tbh...crazy things will be made.
Not really, redstone power can already be transmitted up in a 1x1 space, and down in a 1x2 space. But it will definitely help with reducing transmission time and materials used, plus look much nicer :>
Yes, crazy things will be made. A lot of stuff is limited by vertical timing issues. Also, do you really want a tower of redstone torches transmitting signals from the ground to your airship?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fracture wrote:
grimper12341 wrote:
Yes, crazy things will be made. A lot of stuff is limited by vertical timing issues. Also, do you really want a tower of redstone torches transmitting signals from the ground to your airship?
this. also if the beam is blocked by hemp/reeds, automated farms won't need an arbitrary clock anymore which should improve efficiency a little.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Hemp Farming ...

Have the beem Passing Over all the Hemp. when one of the plants grows it fires The pisions . This will revolutionise farming. And i think this was designed to be used with light blocks . ( please done Quote me on that)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

BigShinyToys wrote:Hemp Farming ...

Have the beem Passing Over all the Hemp. when one of the plants grows it fires The pisions . This will revolutionise farming. And i think this was designed to be used with light blocks . ( please done Quote me on that)
he he, you got ninjad!! And i have a clock that is viewed thru a glass screen (so you cant mess it up) altho i do think this is a valid point, in making the lens a verrry useful device!!
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

The lens needs to be pretty expensive, otherwise it's just a hugely overpowered detector block. I'd say the mirror needs to be made from like 6 diamonds or so to make it fair.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:The lens needs to be pretty expensive, otherwise it's just a hugely overpowered detector block. I'd say the mirror needs to be made from like 6 diamonds or so to make it fair.
Umm, from what's been told about it, it *requires* a detector block to work. Otherwise you have a pretty but otherwise almost pointless light beam.

Mirror? While it's more likely going to be coded so that the lens redirects light beams, the 'expense' is likely going to be in the form of BTW items. But yeah, it will need to be a bit expensive.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:The lens needs to be pretty expensive, otherwise it's just a hugely overpowered detector block. I'd say the mirror needs to be made from like 6 diamonds or so to make it fair.
2 things:

1) Recipies are useless here, flower likes to make them up himself (as so he feels fit)

2) The lens requires a detector block if one wants to make a 'trip wire' of some sort, (so at this point it is more of a HUGE extension of the detector block) also, as posted above, it can be used to transmit a light source a far distance! (or at least we hope so!

PS: i do remember what the lens looked like before flower removed it from the mod (it was just a block back then) but i can tell you that the 4 sides were gold and the top and bottom were diamond (lest the block texture not the item) and so on this note, we need not worry that the lens will be one hell of a block to craft!!

EDIT: Ninja'd ^^
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I stand by my point. If a lens is cheap, you can replace a setup of 8 DBs by one lens and one DB and get the same out of it. The lens looks like it's pretty powerful, as it can act as a detector for a whole row of blocks.

Balance needs to be considered here, diamonds as prisms makes sense. I didn't suggest a recipe, just an order of expense that I think would make sense.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

jamestully22 wrote:EDIT: Ninja'd ^^
I do that a lot ^.^

For me personally, I think one of the main benefits the lens'll have is not so much being able to send current up, but instead down. Trying to send a current down for any given distance takes up a fair bit of space, which can be painful in compact circuitry. That and I've released my new counting circuits can become a whole lot more compact now I've realised how easy to set up lens as the output will be.
that one other guy who we're talking to wrote:I stand by my point. If a lens is cheap, you can replace a setup of 8 DBs by one lens and one DB and get the same out of it. The lens looks like it's pretty powerful, as it can act as a detector for a whole row of blocks.

Balance needs to be considered here, diamonds as prisms makes sense. I didn't suggest a recipe, just an order of expense that I think would make sense.
It's not exactly the same; you still only know that 'the beam is interrupted', not how many things, which mitigates the 'OP'ness. At any rate, it's not going to speed any automation up too much, most people use timers that pulse often enough to catch most new crops anyway. This just makes it a fraction more efficient.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Stormweaver wrote:It's not exactly the same; you still only know that 'the beam is interrupted', not how many things, which mitigates the 'OP'ness. At any rate, it's not going to speed any automation up too much, most people use timers that pulse often enough to catch most new crops anyway. This just makes it a fraction more efficient.
That's making the assumption that no one does anything novel with it...

But yeah, I agree somewhat with your point, so let's agree on: powerful, but not OP, so it needs at least a premium material (diamond, gold or BTW top tier), but not something outrageous.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Considering that Flower has said that the lens won't be coming anytime soon since Steve isn't at that technological tier yet, it should be safe to assume that it might require high tiered BTW items.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Urian wrote:Considering that Flower has said that the lens won't be coming anytime soon since Steve isn't at that technological tier yet, it should be safe to assume that it might require high tiered BTW items.
for instance one may need to polish the diamond by slathering it in dung then using a sham (scoured leather) to add that final polish, for maximum transmitting quality! XD
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

jamestully22 wrote:for instance one may need to polish the diamond by slathering it in dung then using a sham (scoured leather) to add that final polish, for maximum transmitting quality! XD
Yeah, I actually had a similar idea. Some sort of diamond polishing stone might be fun, but it'd need to serve other purposes too of course.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

wait what would need to have annother purpose... the shiny diamond or the crap?
Magical Shit
Show
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

The shiny diamond of course :D
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:The shiny diamond of course :D

Whew, glad thats done NOW... TO THE SUGGESTIONS FORUM!! OFF TOPIC FORUM!!

http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopi ... 777b#p6079
Magical Shit
Show