Crusher Block: For when your rocks are just too solid.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Inumori

Crusher Block: For when your rocks are just too solid.

Post by Inumori »

Okay so first of all hi there everyone. I may be new, but I have read the rules and am posting based on my understanding of them so if I'm out of line please let me know. I searched the forums using the words "crusher block" and didn't find what I'm suggesting so if it is out there I apologize. The concept here is a new block that functions as a higher-tier kind of millstone using the nigh-indestructible steel as a base for crushing blocks of various kinds.

There can be any number of utilities given to this process (In my mind anyway. Programming is another story). Things like crushing sandstone into sand allowing one to recycle any unwanted decorative variants or stone bricks into cobblestone. My desire for this sprouted from a combined desire to mass-produce clay and a way to effectively separate cobblestone from other blocks with hoppers so I thought "what if one could crush the cobblestone into a powder, then either forge it back into to stone or boil it into clay?" and it went from there. There is a lot of potential for byproducts from all sorts of blocks that can be used in any number of recipes as well as offering a way to make certain blocks renewable such as gravel or sand.

To be clear though, the above are just examples of potential uses and my main goal here is to see the crusher itself added to the mod. I would leave it to FC to decide what to do with it should he add it somewhere. I admittedly know nothing about programming but I do recognize that something like this may be a pain in the ass to do so if it's too much hassle I get that and won't push further. If, however, it just seems like a dumb idea I apologize for wasting your time with my long-winded post.
TheAnarchitect

Re: Crusher Block: For when your rocks are just too solid.

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Protip: It's not quite enough to search for the exact phrase you use to describe an idea. This isn't a "This forum" thing, it's a general search thing. People describe the same thing different ways.

Something like this idea comes up every time someone asks the millstone to grind something. The general flow of the thread does like this:

"Why doesn't millstone grind X?"

"Because the millstone only grinds soft, organic-ish things."

"Well then how about a harder millstone for grinding harder things?"

And to be fair, it MAY be something that happens down the line, if FC find a need for it. Maybe he has a tech idea that requires Obsidian Powder, or something requiring so much sand that you need to automate sand production just to keep up. But until that use comes up, there's no point adding it to the mod. It does nothing on it's own.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

And by the way: It´s no good idea to firstpost here. It makes FC feel that you just want him to do this or that.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Inumori

Post by Inumori »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Protip: It's not quite enough to search for the exact phrase you use to describe an idea. This isn't a "This forum" thing, it's a general search thing. People describe the same thing different ways.

Something like this idea comes up every time someone asks the millstone to grind something. The general flow of the thread does like this:

"Why doesn't millstone grind X?"

"Because the millstone only grinds soft, organic-ish things."

"Well then how about a harder millstone for grinding harder things?"

And to be fair, it MAY be something that happens down the line, if FC find a need for it. Maybe he has a tech idea that requires Obsidian Powder, or something requiring so much sand that you need to automate sand production just to keep up. But until that use comes up, there's no point adding it to the mod. It does nothing on it's own.
I do realize that the concept itself isn't really new, but I haven't seen it in any form other than as a potential solution to some other request's presented problem. The purpose here was to offer a number of practical uses of the block to promote it from a logical viewpoint. Giving it it's own solid thread helps to direct the attention the device would need for Flowerchild's approval. I do admit I need to try harder at the forum searching though.
Elevatator wrote:And by the way: It´s no good idea to firstpost here. It makes FC feel that you just want him to do this or that.
I have interacted with Flowerchild before on the minecraft forums for BTW under the same username and those interactions led me to believe he could tell an annoying demand from a simple request. I am in no way demanding a rush on this, rather I appreciate the time constraints this mod places onto him and am simply attempting, as stated above, to show off the idea's good points. As for posting on other sub-forums, I find my views are generally addressed by the time I get to them, so I generally needn't bother. I usually only post when I feel I can in some way benefit the discussion or provide alternate views. This is actually a particularly rare occurrence for me to actually start a thread but I feel the idea deserved it.

Here, until locked, people who had been presenting the idea of an advanced mill or additional functionality can speculate on its many possible functions and how they may work together with each other and other aspects of the mod. In other threads they would likely be dissuaded from this as it would stray from that thread's main topic.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

While additional milling has been mostly an off topic reply here to other threads, it doesn't change the fact that this isn't really the kind of suggestion flowerchild is looking for. If the mod were to have a major need for breaking down stone, etc in the future, crushing it is an obvious solution. Not a novel one. At this time, there really is no reason to crush things to create renewables. Current consumption of such items like clay do not exceed what we can reasonably obtain already. Until it does we won't see a renwable or creation process for it.

Stuff like this has been brought up often enough that fc is aware this idea exists, and there isn't a lot of discussion necessary about it as far as I can tell.
Inumori

Post by Inumori »

SterlingRed wrote:While additional milling has been mostly an off topic reply here to other threads, it doesn't change the fact that this isn't really the kind of suggestion flowerchild is looking for. If the mod were to have a major need for breaking down stone, etc in the future, crushing it is an obvious solution. Not a novel one. At this time, there really is no reason to crush things to create renewables. Current consumption of such items like clay do not exceed what we can reasonably obtain already. Until it does we won't see a renwable or creation process for it.

Stuff like this has been brought up often enough that fc is aware this idea exists, and there isn't a lot of discussion necessary about it as far as I can tell.
Perhaps I should have placed it in the mod's general discussion then? It may be an obvious solution for a potential problem but that's not to say it doesn't deserve some love and imagination. On another note though, please do not assume nobody out there uses massive quantities of non-renewable materials. As worlds people have invested significant time and effort into age, their resources may start to dwindle for future projects.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Inumori wrote: On another note though, please do not assume nobody out there uses massive quantities of non-renewable materials. As worlds people have invested significant time and effort into age, their resources may start to dwindle for future projects.
FlowerChild himself plays continuously on the same world since he started minecraft. If that would result in an obvious lack of ressources of any kind, he would have surely noticed. Since the nether can be used as a shortcut, it is easily possible to travel great distances to find for example a desert to satisfy any one's need for sand or sandstone without creating an eyesore next to the own base.
And imo argumenting that someone wants to build giant structures out of clay or brick and therefore needs a way to create this infinitely, is the same as argumenting someone wants to build giant structures out of diamond blocks and therefore needs to create those infinitely.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I think FC sums it up best..

HERE
FlowerChild wrote:Any resource you can make out of cobble can then be produced with a cobble-generator. There is basically an infinite supply of cobble available that the player can get at any time, so basing other resources on it will mean those resources can be similarly acquired.

So no, I won't be spending time adding resources that can just be produced out of thin air, or nerfing other resources by allowing them to be made out of cobble.

Also, this is largely a BTB suggestion as far as I can tell, so please restrict any suggestions for that mod to the appropriate subforum.
Sorry.. spent some time searching to find it, but I think this will have a similar response due to the bolded paragraphs.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P