Issue with mechanical power

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
S31Syntax

Issue with mechanical power

Post by S31Syntax »

I'm running BTW on MC 1.6.5... I'm not sure if this was an issue back then but as it stands, I cannot transfer mechanical power from a waterwheel through a gearbox. It goes through all of the axles just fine until I add a gearbox to it... the power generation just stops. I can see it working in the wheel itself but no power transfers through the axles into the box. Cause of this i've been stuck using hand cranks for everything.

Is this caused by my slightly outdated Minecraft or a user error of some kind?
Urian

Re: Issue with mechanical power

Post by Urian »

S31Syntax wrote:I'm running BTW on MC 1.6.5... I'm not sure if this was an issue back then but as it stands, I cannot transfer mechanical power from a waterwheel through a gearbox. It goes through all of the axles just fine until I add a gearbox to it... the power generation just stops. I can see it working in the wheel itself but no power transfers through the axles into the box. Cause of this i've been stuck using hand cranks for everything.

Is this caused by my slightly outdated Minecraft or a user error of some kind?
Two things to consider:
1) Are you sure you're gearbox is facing the right way? There are small triangles on one side, that is the side that the axle from the waterwheel must go into.
2) Check to make sure you haven't got more than 3 axles in a row (that is including the axle the waterwheel is attached to.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
S31Syntax

Post by S31Syntax »

Gearbox was oriented with the arrow things meeting the inbound axle and I only used 2 axles. the one that the wheel was anchored on and then one past it. I tried adding another one and orienting the gearbox in all different directions, and then even slapping a lever on the side to see if it was some silly redstone issue. flicking the lever back and forth quickly causes the mechanical power's effect to appear for a second along the axles, but not enough for it to do anything.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Boooo, you beat me to it! :(
Spoiler
Show
When placing a gearbox, it has little arrows on 1 side of it. Those arrows have to face the direction that the power is comming from. It sounds like this is not the case for you right now. :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

What are you trying to power? If it's a millstone, note that the millstone can only receive power from the top or bottom. If not, then could you post a screenshot of your contraption? That would make it easier to figure it out :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
S31Syntax

Post by S31Syntax »

It won't transfer through the gearbox, as seen here... Should've grabbed a better view of the arrows.
but it will power a saw...

I'm not sure whats up at this point. I've followed video tutorials, tweaked the design, broke it and built it again on purpose, nothing changes the outcome.

what the heck. I had to attach it the exact opposite way that it was attached in the videos. I just reversed it and now it wants to play along. :| Fricken gearbox... making me look like an idiot...
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I see you're using the biosphere mod. Are you using any other mods? Something might be interfering with the gearbox id/entity.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Just to be sure,m the top gearbox (replaced with the saw in the other pic) - is facing the waterwheel?
S31Syntax

Post by S31Syntax »

Oh it works now, I found out that I couldn't just attach it to the axle. I had to make a stack of blocks and then attach it in the opposite direction.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

S31Syntax wrote:Oh it works now, I found out that I couldn't just attach it to the axle. I had to make a stack of blocks and then attach it in the opposite direction.
How do you mean? I think I'm having the same problem. I have a mill stone, axle up to a gear box, two axles to the right of that gear box, another gear box and a wheel on an axle there. Add water, wheel turns - no mechanical power.
Spoiler
Show
I tried adding another block to the other side of the axle and adding the wheel again, still no dice.
blazeboy91

Post by blazeboy91 »

the first gearbox to the waterwheel is backwards
* Choke Choke Die*
Victim: Damn Poison cupcakes......
Bystander: Oooo a cupcake.
And the cycle continues until someone builds an immunity to it or we all die. Either way it has got to suck being the last person alive..
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Your Gear Box (GB) isn't facing the water wheel. There's a side with arrows on the GB, that's the input. It should face the water wheel, and the GB placed after that should be facing the previous GB.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

blazeboy91 wrote:the first gearbox to the waterwheel is backwards
:facepalm:

Danke.
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

And does a gear box disappear if it breaks? The one I have over the mill stone has disappeared twice.
Gasert

Post by Gasert »

RegularX wrote:And does a gear box disappear if it breaks? The one I have over the mill stone has disappeared twice.
I'm not sure, but if you break it with axe,then it should not disappear.
It's wooden as well as other wooden things in this mod it's axe-brokeable.(It taken about 3 updates to Notch to just do this with ladder,fence atc.)
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

Gasert wrote:
RegularX wrote:And does a gear box disappear if it breaks? The one I have over the mill stone has disappeared twice.
It's wooden as well as other wooden things in this mod it's axe-brokeable.(It taken about 3 updates to Notch to just do this with ladder,fence atc.)
Sorry, bad description. Not disappear as in when hit with an axe .... as in I turn around it and it is gone. Only noticed it when I finally got the above setup runnng. Do geaar boxes burn but axles don't? Netheefire nearby, but didn't think it was burning range...
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

RegularX wrote:And does a gear box disappear if it breaks?
Yeah.
Gasert

Post by Gasert »

RegularX wrote:
Gasert wrote:
Sorry, bad description. Not disappear as in when hit with an axe .... as in I turn around it and it is gone. Only noticed it when I finally got the above setup runnng. Do geaar boxes burn but axles don't? Netheefire nearby, but didn't think it was burning range...
Yep,ok as i said before all these thinks are 100% wooden,so as they can be broken with axe,as well they can burn (except axles i think). Gearbox can burn and it can be broken when it is the nearest one of wind mill setup and it's raining. But i'm not sure what happens to it(when rainin'),of course when it burns,it disappear ;)
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

Yeah, I think it was burning behind my back - conveniently at times when I wasn't watching it. Seems a bit strange I never even noticed it on fire - also that axles being just wood and rope don't burn (which is why I thought it just mysteriously broke originally). But, :shrug: - cauldron fire moved. Decorative netherfires now less destructive.