Anonymous wants to shut down the internet

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Zhil

Re: Anonymous wants to shut down the internet

Post by Zhil »

If they'd have inside guys, this would be a lot easier. If they manage to mass-flood garbage through the propagation stack, there'd be more disruption I reckon.

Tell the root DNS server that about every web address in existence is changing IP and I think stuff would go really haywire. Remember when one overly zealous DNS block in China ruptured the DNS service for half of the world from the other half?

Anonymous always take me back to the days when I was... making cake... ;)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Honestly, though. Even if they did have an inside guy (which I doubt) and they did manage to take down a root DNS server (which is unlikely) there's still 30 to go.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

well, YourAnonNews and AnonyOps (who are probably as "official" as you can get from anonymous) say it's a FailOp like OpFacebook, and that they won't be taking part, and also that they would gain nothing from it other than to piss off their own members and turn the public even more against them, whilst silmuntaneously robbing them of their "playground".

yeah, I don't think that any anon who gave it more than a second of thought will be trying
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I think this sums it up nicely. XD
Spoiler
Show
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

morvelaira wrote:there's still 30 to go.
More like 1000. There's load balancing server farms in which the DNS servers reside. Potentially prepared to load balance up to 1000 servers.

So yeah, not bloody likely that a DDoS attack can bring down even 100, let alone 1000 or so.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You're right, Gil. I'm used to thinking in more local terms. ;)
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

morvelaira wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:I really thought I was paying a compliment, I'm honestly sorry if it wasn't. The delivery may have been bad, but my intentions were good.

Edit: I just looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. I had never heard the term before coming to this forum, so I thought maybe it was a nickname FC just gave to the more sincere fans. Scouts honor.
As itamarcu pointed out, unfortunately the term wolfaboo is about the total opposite of what you thought it was. xD
Raust is our one token wolfaboo, who we keep as a pet in order to teach the others the folly of their ways. Either that or to lull them into a false sense of security. I can't ever remember.
LoL, I give you a like,if is possible xD

But to topic, the only thing Anonymous does is making people talking about them, like 5 th November last year, they say we shutdown facebook, and what happend nothing but all people talked about it.

The pen is mightier than the sword and they know it ;)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The pen is only mightier than the sword at ranges over 5 feet.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

the sad thing about a DDoS attact on a DNS server means.... if you cut the one closest to you, youre essentially farked from proceeding further... tho, with enough pc's (read a server farm or 3) running in-line with each other with a specific order to hit DNS servers... they might bring down 5, maaaaaaybe 10 high priority DNS' before the previously blocked DNS' had time to reboot and come back online. so, while youre web may flicker, it is highle doibtful they have enough processing power to shut down the entire internet... Without some form of power blackout...
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Awfulcopter

Post by Awfulcopter »

Smashing things because you can't have your way is the last resort of the incapable and childish.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The pen is only mightier than the sword at ranges over 5 feet.
Nice one! I prefer this one though:

"The pen is mightier than the sword, but a true warrior USES his sword AS a pen!"
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The pen is only mightier than the sword at ranges over 5 feet.
if the pen is mightier than the sword, but action speaks louder than words, does that mean that a letter opener with a pen on the end is the ultimate persuasive tool?
(or maybe a hollowed out sword with an ink resevoir?)

what about using an oversized biro as a spear, or a modified peacock tailfeather quill with a bladed nib?

I NEED CLARITY IN MY METAPHORS DAMMIT!
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Another thing to consider is that most DNS requests aren't handled by the Root servers themselves. There are a couple intermediate layers that cache DNS entries for regions of different sizes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Awfulcopter wrote:Smashing things because you can't have your way is the last resort of the incapable and childish.
"The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it." -Muad'dib
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Rasuth wrote:Another thing to consider is that most DNS requests aren't handled by the Root servers themselves. There are a couple intermediate layers that cache DNS entries for regions of different sizes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
You're right, but if you're not actually bringing the root servers down but making them send false IP updates instead, then this would propagate trough the whole dns network.

lol, yeah, right.
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

If the pen is mightier than the sword, why do actions speak louder than words? Also, swords can be thrown.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

My main problem with throwing weapons is it's a waste of a good weapon. I mean, I could throw my sword, but then my sword is over there, and I have to walk over, unarmed, and get it again. I'd rather walk over there with my sword, and hit you that way.

I think the entire point of shutting down the internet would be to force more in-person interaction, which gives more opportunities to use swords.

(Stabs you for emphasis.)
daveboy2000

Post by daveboy2000 »

I actually belive that this are just a bunch of trolls pretending to be anonymous (i know, anonymous is everyone and no-one), just for the lolz.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:My main problem with throwing weapons is it's a waste of a good weapon. I mean, I could throw my sword, but then my sword is over there, and I have to walk over, unarmed, and get it again. I'd rather walk over there with my sword, and hit you that way.

I think the entire point of shutting down the internet would be to force more in-person interaction, which gives more opportunities to use swords.

(Stabs you for emphasis.)
hmmm, where does that leave maces and flails then?

and what about swords on chains that can be reeled back in?

or harpoons even?
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

You guys are forgetting the most important weapon of all: Fear.

"The supreme act of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
-Sun Tzu

Despite all of the technical exploits which Anonymous employs, its most effective has always been the threat and subsequent fear of an attack. This leads me to believe that a number of these guys are not just part of the "unwashed masses" and have actually read things like The Art of War, and have a very good understanding of strategic warfare.

Just my two cents. Could be wrong.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Frankly I don't know anyone who HASN'T read the art of war.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I haven't, but the important parts of it I need to know I've picked up from young men who like to flout their importance and endlessly quote how they are the embodiment of it. ;)
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

morvelaira wrote:I haven't, but the important parts of it I need to know I've picked up from young men who like to flout their importance and endlessly quote how they are the embodiment of it. ;)
I'm definitely not one of those guys. I couldn't strategize my way out of a paper bag. But I admire the book, partly because of how old it is (over 2000 thousand years!) But also because so much of it just common sense that is still relevant today. (Except trivial stuff like the cost of provisions for an army and whatnot. XD)
TheAnarchitect wrote:Frankly I don't know anyone who HASN'T read the art of war.
I can think of at least person who should have but didn't, but I won't mention him here. I'm sure everyone can guess who I am talking about without bringing any form of discussion into it.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

morvelaira wrote:I haven't, but the important parts of it I need to know I've picked up from young men who like to flout their importance and endlessly quote how they are the embodiment of it. ;)
I'm a total hippy. People in real life all give me a hug, because I am known as the guy who refuses a handshake in favor of hugs or a kiss. I hate it when physical violence happens and always try to diffuse the situation.

My main strategy is always:
1. Make sure my opponent wins
2. If possible, make sure I can minimize my loss or even get a benefit

So yeah, I don't think the Art of War was written with me in mind :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

That is similar to my own personal philosophy, Gil. It's easier for me because I am female. Also the major reason why the boys who want to be the embodiment of the Art of War don't impress me much.