WIP: Humane Dung Farm

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Itamarcu

Re: WIP: Humane Dung Farm

Post by Itamarcu »

SterlingRed wrote:
itamarcu wrote:If I ever succeed in making an automatic wolf breeding farm, I'm gonna divide it like this:
-one quarter will become companion cubes
-one quarter wil become companion cubes and then ground in a mill stone, for strings and dye
-one quarter will be killed by a saw and the wolfchops will feed the next quarter:
-one quarter which will be mad and only fed by rotten meat and wolfchops. To use in traps (drop crazy, evil dogs on people) and to kill in case of boredom.
Wolves will not eat wolfchops.
Hmmm.....Are you sure? I think you should give your dog one, just to be sure :)

Spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
They do.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nonono, they don't, don't lie to him.
Go ahead, check it yourself, you'll see it's sure.
Go into your dung farm, or somewhere with several wolves, and give them some wolf chop.
For real.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

OK, so here's my prototype:
Spoiler
Show
I figure it's cool to keep your dogs in the space underneath your stilt-house. I'm not gonna live in the house part (god, the whining). It houses a timer hooked up to the food dispensers with an and-gate, so that it only feeds the wolves when the farm is activated. The rest of the room I think I'll turn into a chicken coop, because it can run off the same timers.
Spoiler
Show
Oh look at them, they look so happy! who could say I'm abusing these poor little fluffy wuffies!
Spoiler
Show
Dung Farm mode activated!
The light you see is bleed-through from the redstone powering the pistons. I tried putting a block in the way, but that created a ledge that much of my dung got caught on. I hope the light is still low enough to get decent dung production. Fixing the waterflows around where the ledge used to be is going to require a full rebuild, though. If anyone has any advice about that redstone light, I'm all ears.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

TheAnarchitect wrote:OK, so here's my prototype
Damn, that's pretty clever. Ditch the dirt floor though, maybe replace it with colored wool and wool half-slabs. An excellent system for anybody who needs to PRETEND to be wolf-friendly. Not so much for those who ACTUALLY want to be wolf friendly though :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Or if you really want it to have it looking like the wolves are happy and feeling like BTW you could make the floor out of companion cubes. They do look like wool from the top after all.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

HighMongrel wrote:Or if you really want it to have it looking like the wolves are happy and feeling like BTW you could make the floor out of companion cubes. They do look like wool from the top after all.
Or make another layer with BDs that switch between a nice wool floor and another - Companion slab? Dung blocks?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I don't know, Raust. I'd argue that your wolves are in a disguised prison, while mine get a nice outdoor kennel most of the time, and only do short shifts in the shitter. It's not unlike my experience as an office worker: 8 hours in cubicle hell, 16 to myself.

Also, that house is much nicer than the one my Steve currently lives in. I'm being nicer to my wolves than to him.
RaustBlackDragon

TheAnarchitect wrote:I don't know, Raust. I'd argue that your wolves are in a disguised prison, while mine get a nice outdoor kennel most of the time, and only do short shifts in the shitter. It's not unlike my experience as an office worker: 8 hours in cubicle hell, 16 to myself.

Also, that house is much nicer than the one my Steve currently lives in. I'm being nicer to my wolves than to him.
Eh, I guess I'm to accustomed to having access wandering mode. As I said, treating them well still can't change the fact that they're largely not allowed to move. If they COULD wander around on their own, that would be a VERY interesting automation challenge I feel, but as it is, It's really just an issue of choosing their scenery.

And even if it's a disguised prison, it's their perception of it that matters when it comes to their happiness.

Of course, my sympathy for the guys has kinda diminished somewhat with the 1.2.3 update, now that wolves have really lost all of the "life" and "personality" they used to have. I made a petition about it on the MCF, and I'm astounded that it, like the "zombies won't attack wolves that attack them" bug, hasn't yet been addressed.

Back on topic, I do believe that grass is a more comfy seat than wood is :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

How can this be humane. Like other posters before me your wolves are essentially confined to a small space with water between then preventing certain forms of socialization. The dogs muscles are likely to atrophy over time and with teh number of tree's your have in the vicinity as targets for bladder relief the environment is going to reek of urine. It's a wooden puppy mill and PETA should be notified of the conditions these animals are kept in.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I'm gonna agree with Kazu, The Architecht's version is much more on the "humane" side of things.....though I thought I treated my wolves well building the entire dung factory outa the useless gold I have dug up....course the fact I'm building a second layer underneath the original made completly of dung to go along with my tanned leather automation kinda defeats the purpose i guess.
RaustBlackDragon

Kazuya Mishima wrote:How can this be humane. Like other posters before me your wolves are essentially confined to a small space with water between then preventing certain forms of socialization. The dogs muscles are likely to atrophy over time and with teh number of tree's your have in the vicinity as targets for bladder relief the environment is going to reek of urine. It's a wooden puppy mill and PETA should be notified of the conditions these animals are kept in.
And as I've said before, their inability to move is not my fault, that's notch/jeb's :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Hm, a wandering mode crap farm shouldn't be that complicated at all if they're willing to fetch the food. All you'd have to do is to drop the food on a solid block and make the rest hoppers.

Hm, except that'd leave you with a very, very small kenel due to mechanical energy constrains.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Until they teleport to you.

I would give my fortune enchanted Diamond pickaxe for an option to turn off wolf teleportation. It's totally a hack to compensate for bad pathfinding, and it causes half the issues with having wolves.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Until they teleport to you.

I would give my fortune enchanted Diamond pickaxe for an option to turn off wolf teleportation. It's totally a hack to compensate for bad pathfinding, and it causes half the issues with having wolves.
That's a given, I didn't try Raust mod yet, but I believe they don't teleport if you set them to wander (as opposed to follow or sit). Which I thought he comes from.

A lot of guesswork in that one, but yeah.
RaustBlackDragon

Poppycocks wrote: That's a given, I didn't try Raust mod yet, but I believe they don't teleport if you set them to wander (as opposed to follow or sit). Which I thought he comes from.
Yep, that's how it works :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

Alright, I've been working on it in my main world after making that concept version in creative superflat. Here's what I have so far:

The channels are set up nicely, and I've decided I'm not going to shade the place or automate the food process. Dung isn't really in too high demand, I just want to make sure it's properly collected. I'll feed them by hand every morning, and now that they're only among their fellow vanilla wolves, they won't suffer from any inferiority complex :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

TaterBoy wrote:It's a good thing we can't craft blocks of dung...I think some odd fellow out there would probably make his whole kennel out of dung blocks.

Oh wait. We can do that.

*steeples fingers and says "excellent" just like Mr. Burns*
You -could- go one step further, and make your entire kennel out of half wolf slabs, or buddy blocks. "The walls are made of your fathers, your sons, your brothers. Now pewp, prease?"
Lol nope