WIP: Humane Dung Farm

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

WIP: Humane Dung Farm

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Right, so, I was PM'd by somebody who wanted my input, as this forum's token wolfaboo, on how to make a dung farm without his son accusing him of animal abuse. While I do keep my wolves' caliber of living conditions high, I actually haven't attempted much in the way of automation. The two of us brainstormed on it, and this is the result of our combined ideas:

The place is made of trees, so the wolves feel at home but the shade from the leaves helps to darken the wolves' environment enough to speed up dung production somewhat.

The water currents that transport the dung are concealed behind vine traps. According to the logic that dictates their function, the wolves should find them indistinguishable from a normal forest floor, since they don't move around. Hence they won't feel any sense of entrapment or discomfort at their position.

The currents will bring the dung into a stewing pot in the center here.

I thought I'd post this to get peoples' feedback on the concept in general. This currently does not have the feeding mechanism set up. Any suggestions on that part? Any criticisms or ideas for improvement?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Stormweaver

Re: WIP: Humane Dung Farm

Post by Stormweaver »

Just so we're clear on this; You basically took a normal dung farm, and made the walls out of logs and the ceiling out of leaves, while adding vine traps to make it pretty?

Raust, you're getting there :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Stormweaver wrote:Just so we're clear on this; You basically took a normal dung farm, and made the walls out of logs and the ceiling out of leaves, while adding vine traps to make it pretty?

Appearance counts for a lot, my friend :)

No matter how well I treat them, the fact remains that these guys can't move whenever I don't explicitly need them, which doesn't happen very often. Having to sit around in one spot is pretty much a given therefore, so the real issue is what kind of environment they find themselves sitting down in. This is pretty much the best I can do for the poor things :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Looks nicer than my bathroom, you're treating your wolves well man.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I don't think anyone is mentioning that in a well designed dung farm, the wolves will be regularly given meat to eat; (unless you are really a cruel bastard and feed them rotten flesh) Hell, my dog doesn't get to eat juicy raw meat, not even once in a while...He gets dry kibble, and sometimes canned dog food with gravy (which he inhales.)

In my opinion these wolves live the life of a *sultan, even if other aspects are inhumane.

Just my two cents. :)

Edit: Canine sultan.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Lmao. It looks fine to me, you at the very least showed a lot of dedication. I was looking at the vinetraps trying to figure out what the hell all the blue dots were for awhile before I read your caption :( I think I need sleep.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I agree that it does look pretty. I may do something similar with jungle trees so I can have a few stories of these organic wolf pens.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Dude, not only obscene levels of humidity,decaying plantlife too? And not only that, poor things are, unbeknownst to them, surrounded by traps, meant mainly for mob grinders, i.e. devices that produce mobs with the express purpose of mass murdering them and obtain their loot.

Add to this that the leaves are not adequate protection from the searing summer sun, or the harsh winter snowstorms,are in constant danger of forest fires, continuously harassed by mosquitoes and other unspeakable square insects, at the mercy of an unlucky lightning strike attracted by the trees, or other nastier predators.. Those very trees could be the death of them in case a hurricane strikes, knocking the trees down and crushing them..

Even simple threats, like if random poachers happen to pass by, are magnified by the fact that they are a sitting target in plain sight..

Poor things.. Better lock em up in your basement, would be much better protected and comfortable.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I thought making mine outa gold was overdoing it......
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

It's a good thing we can't craft blocks of dung...I think some odd fellow out there would probably make his whole kennel out of dung blocks.

Oh wait. We can do that.

*steeples fingers and says "excellent" just like Mr. Burns*
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

TaterBoy wrote:It's a good thing we can't craft blocks of dung...I think some odd fellow out there would probably make his whole kennel out of dung blocks.

Oh wait. We can do that.

*steeples fingers and says "excellent" just like Mr. Burns*
Did not know that, making my extension now....
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Yo dawg, I heard you like dung farms...
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yikes.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Nice job! But I think it would look better if you put a few companion slabs on the floor.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

All right, I'm coming out as the guy who PMed Raust.

Currently I'm working on a setup where the walls are piston-based. So I have a nice open-air doggy kennel when my son comes over and asks to see the dogs. Then when I need dung, I flip a switch. The walls pop out, the floor floods, and I have a dung farm. I've got some mechanism tests in my creative lab, but I'll post a pic when I've built it for my main world.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:All right, I'm coming out as the guy who PMed Raust.

Currently I'm working on a setup where the walls are piston-based. So I have a nice open-air doggy kennel when my son comes over and asks to see the dogs. Then when I need dung, I flip a switch. The walls pop out, the floor floods, and I have a dung farm. I've got some mechanism tests in my creative lab, but I'll post a pic when I've built it for my main world.
Lol! Ok, that's a solution I can get behind :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

My son just tells me to make the doggies poop and then laughs...

So rotten flesh in a deep dank hole for the lot of them.
The spice must flow...

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote:My son just tells me to make the doggies poop and then laughs...
Maybe you were right about keeping him away from the crossbow after all :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

At least he doesn't tell me to 'fight them up' like with any cow he sees. But he likes the pigs... he doesn't want me to hurt the pigs, and when I do he asks me where they went. Chickens too, he just wants me to jump in the chicken hole and grab all the eggs.
The spice must flow...

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

My girlfriend always wants to see "the puppies". My solution? I show her the wolves I breed on occasion in my house. Of course she has no idea 16 wolves sit imprisoned a few chunks away, and that I turn the ones I breed into companion cubes. I think it works out quite well! Hopefully she doesn't look too closely at the building with iron bars and see the companion cubes staring back at her...
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

my dung farms, like every factory I make are made of stone bricks and iron bars. I have about 25 wolves in my current better than wolves world. they are deep under ground beneath a zombie spawner trap. the zombies die and are fed directly to the wolves on there pedestals. my timing is a little off on when to feed them, but seeing as I already have a double chest full of dung blocks I don't care. if I ever do a more "elven" world I may do something like that for my farm though.
And HOW!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

If I ever succeed in making an automatic wolf breeding farm, I'm gonna divide it like this:
-one quarter will become companion cubes
-one quarter wil become companion cubes and then ground in a mill stone, for strings and dye
-one quarter will be killed by a saw and the wolfchops will feed the next quarter:
-one quarter which will be mad and only fed by rotten meat and wolfchops. To use in traps (drop crazy, evil dogs on people) and to kill in case of boredom.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Panda

Post by Panda »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Just so we're clear on this; You basically took a normal dung farm, and made the walls out of logs and the ceiling out of leaves, while adding vine traps to make it pretty?

Appearance counts for a lot, my friend :)

No matter how well I treat them, the fact remains that these guys can't move whenever I don't explicitly need them, which doesn't happen very often. Having to sit around in one spot is pretty much a given therefore, so the real issue is what kind of environment they find themselves sitting down in. This is pretty much the best I can do for the poor things :)
mah doggies sit on companion half slabs C: Wwwww
Never say no to Panda.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

itamarcu wrote:If I ever succeed in making an automatic wolf breeding farm, I'm gonna divide it like this:
-one quarter will become companion cubes
-one quarter wil become companion cubes and then ground in a mill stone, for strings and dye
-one quarter will be killed by a saw and the wolfchops will feed the next quarter:
-one quarter which will be mad and only fed by rotten meat and wolfchops. To use in traps (drop crazy, evil dogs on people) and to kill in case of boredom.
Wolves will not eat wolfchops.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I think they eat them and then go insane. or is it just the sight of them?
And HOW!