More Pistons Mod

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RaustBlackDragon

More Pistons Mod

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll00wN1dVfc

So, a guy called MontyPylon made a mod that expands the piston system, by making pistons that extend 2, 3, and 4 blocks rather than just one. it looks interesting, but I thought I'd ask the more tech-savvy people on the forum if this actually makes more things possible, rather than just easier (aside from the re-added gravity effects).
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Kazuya Mishima

Re: More Pistons Mod

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I havn't gotten to the point of making double piston extenders except for a few experiments but this would seem to make a more compact and less redstone hungry double piston extender right?

As far as the gravity effects would this allow you to eject items into the air? IF so that sorta nullifies BTW elevators.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

You can do all of the things that you can with this mod in the vanilla game, I think its just laziness if you use these pistons instead of taking the time to figure out how to do things with regular pistons.

Plus I'll go out on a limb and bet that the feeling of reward and pride you get from making an intense piston machine would be completely nullified by using these. xD
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FurkeyRefills wrote:You can do all of the things that you can with this mod in the vanilla game, I think its just laziness if you use these pistons instead of taking the time to figure out how to do things with regular pistons.
Its not just lazyness man.. Try to make a circuit with 4 sticky pistons in sequence that will push a block on the end retract and extend correctly. The circuit will get huge, plus take a much longer time to work, because you have to retrack each piston, then extend again to push the last one, then extend and retrack the third, then the second again, and so on... It would be a nightmare to do something like that, imo.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I think there was a post about this mod a few weeks ago, I'll try and dig it up.
it makes a lot of designs much easier, and I'd say that a triple piston extender is very difficult near impossible with btw alone, although you can always use BDs.

Then again, when do you need a triple or quadruple piston extender? I'm sure you'd be able to find uses, but it's a bit forced imo.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

jorgebonafe wrote:
FurkeyRefills wrote:You can do all of the things that you can with this mod in the vanilla game, I think its just laziness if you use these pistons instead of taking the time to figure out how to do things with regular pistons.
Its not just lazyness man.. Try to make a circuit with 4 sticky pistons in sequence that will push a block on the end retract and extend correctly. The circuit will get huge, plus take a much longer time to work, because you have to retrack each piston, then extend again to push the last one, then extend and retrack the third, then the second again, and so on... It would be a nightmare to do something like that, imo.
Yes, I see your point, but this mod just feels like a free ticket out of doing any of the hard work that should be done when making complex redstone-y stuff :/
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

I was working on a way to make one wall of my Enchantery "magically" open using pistons. I had a design that I thought would work, but I ended up being killed by the fact that while a sticky piston could push two blocks up, when it retracted it could only retract one block. I was horribly disappointed because I was quite pleased with the picture I had in my head.

When I first saw this mod I thought "cool" that will fix the problem, but it can still only retract one block.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I love this idea. It isn't just "for lazy people", if you think so - there are tons of possibilities with these pistons!
-Bigger traps/piston doors
-A better way or transporting items (regular pistons can do the same, but only diagonally)
-A way of pushing mobs/players from a distance
-Pushing items out of tubes (like long kilns and such) is possible

etc.

Of course, just adding longer pistons wouldn't really open up all possibilities - I think there should just be another type of piston, which can stretch out as many blocks as it is possible (12?), but cannot push more than one block. This way the "new" pistons will be as useful as the regular ones, but for other devices.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Tried it...made my traps easyer to wire up and execute with less "clearing" work....using 2 pistons in the place of 6 was kinda usefull, otherwise I saw no point in it.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong, but I'm at work so I can't do a lot of digging in mc forum archives to verify this.

If I remember correctly, there was a mod very close to this developed right after Mojang added pistons that readded the original gravity and throwing features of Hippos pistons. It was largely used by people who had the opinion that Mojang stole pistons from Hippo and made them worse. But if I remember right, the mod also had a few 'extended pistons'. I don't know what happened to it or what it was called, but it seems to ceased to exist.
It's interesting there is now a new one. This one by Monty looks better balanced than the old one.

I can certainly see how it is useful, but I don't really know if I can get behind this one. It seems to me that extending a piston more than 1 block could be a multiblock system (like with ropes pulleys and anchors). I think there should have to be something that adds 'rods' to extend the piston, and has a mechanical process to retract them.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this though. I may change my mind and it could be useful.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I could get behind the double piston, but past any more than that is going too far.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

rhacer wrote:I was working on a way to make one wall of my Enchantery "magically" open using pistons. I had a design that I thought would work, but I ended up being killed by the fact that while a sticky piston could push two blocks up, when it retracted it could only retract one block. I was horribly disappointed because I was quite pleased with the picture I had in my head.

When I first saw this mod I thought "cool" that will fix the problem, but it can still only retract one block.
have one piston on top and one on bottom. problem solved.
TheAnarchitect wrote:I could get behind the double piston, but past any more than that is going too far.
my sentiments exactly.
And HOW!
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
rhacer wrote:I was working on a way to make one wall of my Enchantery "magically" open using pistons. I had a design that I thought would work, but I ended up being killed by the fact that while a sticky piston could push two blocks up, when it retracted it could only retract one block. I was horribly disappointed because I was quite pleased with the picture I had in my head.

The problem is, to "fully charge" your Enchanting Table it needs to be in the center of a cube that is three bookshelves high. So I have to move three bookshelves, not two. I had already got two pistons, one above and one below, but while I could push the bottom two up, I couldn't get the middle one to retract.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

And why don't you put the pistons sideways?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

rhacer wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:

The problem is, to "fully charge" your Enchanting Table it needs to be in the center of a cube that is three bookshelves high. So I have to move three bookshelves, not two. I had already got two pistons, one above and one below, but while I could push the bottom two up, I couldn't get the middle one to retract.
Actually no, the max is 30 bookshelves, which is just 2 high, and excludes a door :) So no worries.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: Actually no, the max is 30 bookshelves, which is just 2 high, and excludes a door :) So no worries.
Hmmm that's completely different from what I thought I was understanding and seeing.

Thank you very much for the tip.