Hunger Games

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hunger Games

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I have to agree on the end of that fight but I was able to overlook the rest of it. The lesser movie for me was actually the original. THat may be because I was way too young to get what was going on last time I saw it though.

Guess I have a plan for this week while I wait for videocard payday.
The first one was campy to the max, but had its own charm. I don't generally criticize the first movie in a series though, when the 2nd movie improves upon it.

The Road Warrior, Aliens, Terminator 2, and Hellraiser 2 are all examples of that IMO. There was a certain period in the late 80's/early 90's where people seemed determined to make sequels better than the original, but it hardly ever happens anymore, and each of the ones I mentioned there were then messed up by a third lesser movie.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: Max always had an aspect of anti-hero to him, and messing with that was where it went wrong.
Spot on, this is the reason I hate unnecessary kids in movies, everything surrounding them tends to be very conventional.

And this is one of the reasons I loved the first two fallouts this much. Kids suffer and bleed the same as adults. (Besides, a kill'em all run is no kill 'em all run if the kids are invincible now is it. Damn Fallout 3.)
FlowerChild wrote:The first one was campy to the max, but had its own charm. I don't generally criticize the first movie in a series though, when the 2nd movie improves upon it.
One word. Toecutter. The road warrior had no toecutter. :P
FlowerChild wrote:The Road Warrior, Aliens, Terminator 2, and Hellraiser 2 are all examples of that IMO. There was a certain period in the late 80's/early 90's where people seemed determined to make sequels better than the original, but it hardly ever happens anymore, and each of the ones I mentioned there were then messed up by a third lesser movie.
Until recently I would wholeheartedly agree here, BUT, after doing an alien marathon, I concluded that the second part, which used to be my favourite, is actually by far the weakest one. Cliche boring characters and dry militaristic humour, and not as claustrophobic as the others. Dunno, a bunch of G.I. Joe rejects is not the kind of characters that fit with the prominent themes the alien franchise sports imho.

And to think I used to absolutely love Aliens and hate Alien 3.. Whereas in my recent marathon the third part was the one I actually enjoyed the most, to my own surprise.

Fun fact: I had watched the fourth part in cinemas back in the day, twice. Back then I didn't really realise it, but that film had many people I love involved: Jean-Pierre Jeunet directing (Delicatessen and City of the lost children are 2 of my absolutely favourite movies), Joss Whedon (freaking firefly..enough said), Winona Ryder( childhood crush :P) , Ron Perlman (I will watch anything he's in, even if it is for a cameo*), plus Dominique Pinon, Brad Dourif..

*: Unless it is Sons of Anarchy season 3 and onwards. Meh.

EDIT: Note added :P
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Until recently I would wholeheartedly agree here, BUT, after doing an alien marathon, I concluded that the second part, which used to be my favourite, is actually by far the weakest one. Cliche boring characters and dry militaristic humour, and not as claustrophobic as the others. Dunno, a bunch of G.I. Joe rejects is not the kind of characters that fit with the prominent themes the alien franchise sports imho.

And to think I used to absolutely love Aliens and hate Alien 3.. Whereas in my recent marathon the third part was the one I actually enjoyed the most, to my own surprise.

Fun fact: I had watched the fourth part in cinemas back in the day, twice. Back then I didn't really realise it, but that film had many people I love involved: Jean-Pierre Jeunet directing (Delicatessen and City of the lost children are 2 of my absolutely favourite movies), Joss Whedon (freaking firefly..enough said), Winona Ryder( childhood crush :P) , Ron Perlman (I will watch anything he's in, even if it is for a cameo), plus Dominique Pinon, Brad Dourif..
Yeah, the 2nd is still my favorite. I thought the 3rd was atrocious, and while I liked parts of the 4th, the ending with the sad-looking mammal-alien was just terrible enough to ruin it.

Ripley really need to be the alien on the ship at the end that kills them all. Would have brought the series full-circle and would have been a classy way to end the series.

We have Winona Ryder in common though :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Didn't Joss Whedon come up with that human hybrid alien at the end?

Aliens is still my favorite. The fact that the experienced, heavily armed marine squad was getting picked off as easily as the unarmed civilian crew in the original went a long way toward keeping the level of suspense up instead of just giving us a rehash.

The third one I actually quite liked but I could never get past them killing off Hicks and Newt off camera before it even started.
Better is the enemy of Good
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I have a question for those who did see/read Hunger Games... mostly because I'm seeing all the hype and am biased against the movie due to my viewing/reading Battle Royale back in the day. Does it have more similarity than simply a bunch of kids need to kill each other in a huge last man standing finale or is it actually an original (using original lightly) idea/concept that actually has something going for it other than just being Battle Royale in a dystopian US instead of a dystopian Japan?
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Having not seen battle royale, I can't say. But the theme prevalent throughout the hunger games is that of "Bread and Circuses." The people in power need to simultaneously entertain and terrify their populace to maintain power and prevent revolt.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Hunger Games was good. 8/10 (because 9's and 10's are reserved for the directing god Christopher Nolan)

It did feel a little rushed in some bits and there were several places I thought would have greatly benefitted from flashbacks to Katniss's hunting with her father, and showing more district reactions to the games.