BTW Gameplan

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Zhil

BTW Gameplan

Post by Zhil »

Alright, I've been testing lots of the BTW stuff thoroughly and I feel like doing a legit world now. I'm wondering though, what's the gameplan for a BTW playthrough.

In other words, what are the different ways to progress through the items. I'm guessing you start with a hemp farm as early as possible (underground if you have pumpkins).

How do you all progress through the ages?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
deathtri

Re: BTW Gameplan

Post by deathtri »

there is a single "age" find a dungeon for an auto hemp farm make sure its fully auto where you plant it and come back to have fibers.

have an mob farm and a critter farm and then you shuild be ready for the next age when it comes out
blazeboy91

Post by blazeboy91 »

I usually just work without what i got. For items in general there is a general tech tree that is on a wiki.
* Choke Choke Die*
Victim: Damn Poison cupcakes......
Bystander: Oooo a cupcake.
And the cycle continues until someone builds an immunity to it or we all die. Either way it has got to suck being the last person alive..
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

deathtri wrote:there is a single "age" find a dungeon for an auto hemp farm make sure its fully auto where you plant it and come back to have fibers.

have an mob farm and a critter farm and then you shuild be ready for the next age when it comes out
I'm not a grammar nazi, but I think you just insulted punctuation there. Also, it's not about the ages or anything, I'm asking how people progress through the tech tree. Hemp, mob and critter farms is already automation, which is the end of the tech tree to me. I don't want to do automation until I have everything already.
blazeboy91 wrote:I usually just work without what i got. For items in general there is a general tech tree that is on a wiki.
Thanks, I'll read the article.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Gilberreke wrote: Hemp, mob and critter farms is already automation,
No, you need a hemp farm. Like, at every moment you can, upgrade your hemp farm. Start growing it ASAP, add lights as soon as you can, upgrade to automation when you have the materials. Hemp is all-important, you need INSANE amounts of it.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Fracture wrote:No, you need a hemp farm. Like, at every moment you can, upgrade your hemp farm. Start growing it ASAP, add lights as soon as you can, upgrade to automation when you have the materials. Hemp is all-important, you need INSANE amounts of it.
Sure, but I mentioned in the first post that I am aware of the hemp thing, I'm just wondering how you all progress after that :)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Soon as the hemp farm is done or before even, you want a slime farm so you can get slimeballs for waterwheels.
After that you probs want a dung farm/tanning factory, then a hostile mob farm, then play around with elevators, then on to the most complex farm, a tree farm.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

grimper12341 wrote:Soon as the hemp farm is done or before even, you want a slime farm so you can get slimeballs for waterwheels.
After that you probs want a dung farm/tanning factory, then a hostile mob farm, then play around with elevators, then on to the most complex farm, a tree farm.
Again with the automation :(

So yeah, I imagine dung is important, so wolves after hemp. I don't plan on using slimes, unless I accidentally run into some. Slimes are just annoying to find and farm. Hand-cranked bellows for glue will do.

I will mention this one more time, but I don't want ideas on what to automate. That sort of stuff comes naturally when you lack a resource. I just want to know the order people follow to get through the tech tree.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Hemp, followed by dung. Those are the two bottlenecks for BTW material so far. Everything else like iron, redstone, glowdust, etc, same process as vanilla really.
Although it may behoove you to cast a netherportal early on so you can make lightblocks for your hemp
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Conscript Gary wrote:so you can make lightblocks for your hemp
Don't pumpkins work just as well? Those are literally everywhere
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Gilberreke wrote: Again with the automation :(
Did I mention automation? :P

Dung farm all you need is water under the wolves leading to a hopper, and go manually collect dung from the hopper when you want.
Wheat/Hemp farm can be done totally manually (just a fenced off area with plants in the ground), or you can have water pour over wheat/pistons push hemp with the flick of a lever and collect drops manually.
Slime farm you can just have them spawn underground in the cleared out space and go kill them yourself when you need slime balls.
Hostile mob farm you can do by luring mobs into a trap you have set up then collecting their drops when they die.

Although the tree farm needs to be automated or there's not much point to it.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

grimper12341 wrote:Although the tree farm needs to be automated or there's not much point to it.
So why would I want one, unless I tend to run out of wood?
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Gilberreke wrote:So why would I want one, unless I tend to run out of wood?
I agree. The only reason I made a tree farm (and it was on a test map, not my legit world) was to see if I could, sort of as a proof-of-concept, but also because I have a lot of fun designing things like automated farms and seeing them work. I can't really see the benefit of having an automated tree farm on a legit map, as I think it would be far easier to just go out and chop a few trees than it would be to spend a whole bunch of time making such a farm, and then waiting forever for the sapling to grow each time. Automation isn't always best way to go.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

darahalian wrote: and then waiting forever for the sapling to grow each time. Automation isn't always best way to go.
Once the main mechanism of the tree farm is done, it can be extended to service multiple trees quite easily, resulting in a constant supply of wood (provided growth is staggered, but trees grow kinda random anyway so that should happen by default) without you having to do any chopping :>

Of course chopping will always be faster (unless you have a truly massive tree farm), but as long as you wanna play the why would I want to game, answer these:

Why would I want to automate anything at all?
Why would I want to build bigger and better structures?
Why would I want to build anything other than a shelter to survive the first night?

And of course the answer to all those is fun.
I mean really, to 'win' the game, all you gotta do is survive the night and kill mobs. But fortunately we have an imagination that lets us do greater things even if they arn't needed.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

grimper12341 wrote:And of course the answer to all those is fun.
I mean really, to 'win' the game, all you gotta do is survive the night and kill mobs. But fortunately we have an imagination that lets us do greater things even if they arn't needed.
Sure, and I do understand people urging me to make these contraptions because of that, but it wasn't really the point of the thread. I was looking for the most logical progression through the tech tree.

Sorry if I sounded a bit grumpy, I wasn't feeling too well yesterday on account of a girl trying to kiss me and me having to refuse, because I'm too old for her. Anyway... :)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Gilberreke wrote:I wasn't feeling too well yesterday on account of a girl trying to kiss me and me having to refuse, because I'm too old for her. Anyway... :)
Sure <.<

Logical progression in BTW requires farms anyway, automated or not. Coz you is gonna need a lot of hemp at the least.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You should start on the bottleneck resources ASAP. At the moment they are hemp, dung and leather.

For hemp it's usually best to just hoe grass or punch tall grass to get a few seeds and then set up an out doors mini farm, once you get pumpkins you can enclose it.

For dung, you'll want to be on the lookout for wolves as soon as you've got some bones if you're in a biome where wolves might be rare. Dung is special in the sense that the automated version at least doubles the speed at which dung is produced so you probably want to get your wolves locked in a dark room with water to carry the dung out as soon as you've got a few wolves.

Leather is the easiest of the bottleneck resources and if you kill all cows around you it won't even be much of a bottleneck. The problem with leather is often that people just let the cows live... hippies.

You'll want to get a millstone for leather to make a bellow as well to produce glue for the waterwheel unless you like punching the hand crank. After that you can easily make a saw and from there on the rest of the utilities as you see fit.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

And that's the sort of answer I was looking for :). I guess I need to experiment just a little with a nice kennel/dung farm set up too.

I'm going to do a legit play on an island seed, where the goal is to create a nice medieval village, with a small-ish castle and some fields. The only exception to the legitimacy might be mob spawners, since chances of having a dungeon underneath the island are slim. I might allow myself to carry the spawners back to the village.

I might even do a proper LP of it and I especially needed a game plan of what to go for first. I think I'm in luck with the biome, the island is pretty much forest, so chances are big it's a wolf biome
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

What I did first was to dig up a few hemp seeds, which I planted and then went off to explore. Found some wolves, chopped a couple dozen stacks of wood, then went back to harvest some hemp and plant the new seeds beside the older plants. It was at this point the wolves told me that they wanted to be buried.

Dug a one block hole in he ground for each wolf, then slapped a block of dirt over them. Once in awhile I see a big sounder of swine, slaughter them and uncover the wolves to feed them before putting them back in the dark. When you hear the growling explosion, just walk around the tombs to collect your dung. Only need a few lumps of it to start with.

Now for the mining. Find a cave system or dig a shaft, dig through the night and deal with hemp once per minecraft day. Once you have a good stockpile and found a source for lava, you can make a nether portal to go pick up a couple dozen chunks of netherrack. Now you're ready for business. Build a millstone, handcrank and a cauldron if you haven't already done so. You can make hibachis for the cauldron but it's just as easy to just place the 'rack and set it burning. Crank your millstone to scour at least five pieces of leather and tan it in the cauldron. Build a saw with the first piece of tanned leather and another hand crank, use it to turn planks into panels for building a bellows. Then either build a third crank or pull one up, dig out two blocks to the side of your cauldron fires, knock out some of the 'rack/turn of the hibachis so you can stand beside the cauldron and place the bellows with the crank behind it. This will allow you to turn leather/feathers/bone into glue. With this glue you can make wood blades for the water wheel. Remember to allow the bellows to re-inflate between cranks. If you crank too quickly once, the stoked fire won't go down but missing twice in a row will usually cause the current rendering operation to stop.

Congratulations, you now have the basis for automation and the basics of how to incorproate BTW into your minecraft experience. Also you can stop cranking for days at a time!
Better is the enemy of Good
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

DaveYanakov wrote: Congratulations, you now have the basis for automation and the basics of how to incorproate BTW into your minecraft experience. Also you can stop cranking for days at a time!
I already gave out a long detailed answer like that, but automation is not what The Master wants, neither is semi-automation, so looks like your post is a waste of space too.
Last edited by grimper12341 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Im in the Middle of a Legit play .
I have a hand crank And Mill stone . with one cauldron and one wolf ( that has not done anything Despit me feding it full inventory of food.

Hope that helped.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

grimper12341 wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote: Congratulations, you now have the basis for automation and the basics of how to incorproate BTW into your minecraft experience. Also you can stop cranking for days at a time!
I already gave out a long detailed answer like that, but automation is not what The Master wants, neither is semi-automation, so looks like your post is a waste of space too.

Not sure what you mean by him not wanting automation. He posted a video of his own animal processing facility and it's what things like hoppers are for
Better is the enemy of Good
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

DaveYanakov wrote: it's what things like hoppers are for
IKR

And yet it's right there
Gilberreke wrote: Again with the automation :(
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Thank you DaveYanakov, brilliant answer
grimper12341 wrote:I already gave out a long detailed answer like that, but automation is not what The Master wants, neither is semi-automation, so looks like your post is a waste of space too.
Your answer didn't even answer my question, though you get bonus points for calling me The Master.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

I go as follows:

Hemp Farm
Quern (Hand Crank Millstone)
Tannery
Saw Pit (Hand Crank Saw)
Rendering Plant (Upgrade tannery, hand crank bellow)
Rendering Plant (Water-powered)
Watermill (Quern w/ Waterwheel upgrade)
Saw Mill (Saw Pit w/ Waterwheel upgrade)
Saw Mill x2 (2 step processing that processes the Log -> Panel, Wood Planks -> Moulding, Moulding -> Gears)

Right now I am attempting to create a pick/pack distribution center & warehouse using elevators, minecarts, and hoppers to store items.