.class conflicts between BTW and Aether

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
diegokilla

.class conflicts between BTW and Aether

Post by diegokilla »

So I have to admit, I have been waiting on the Aether mod for, well, months! And it's finally out! Unfortunately... I am heavily addicted to BTW and cannot play MC without it. So I took a peak into one of the mods that the AETHER mod relies on (ShockAHPI), and looked for any conflicting .class files. There is 1... JUST 1 :~(
So does anyone know how to compile these 2 classes together, make the compatible or whatever?
If it helps it is the fd.class file.
Any thoughts or ideas, or if anyone can at least point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
(And yes, I know that FC does not work on making BTW compatible with specific mods etc. I am mostly seeing if anyone has a DIY solution)

Edit: I saw on a mod compatability post here that some class files can be removed from this or that mod (as in let the BTW class file overwrite the other mods corresponding class file)
So I am gonna do a bit of testing and just kinda go for it and try and get it to work. HOWEVER, if someone with more skill than I could give me a hint as to what the fd.class file does, it would really help me out in testing the two mods together.
Last edited by diegokilla on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Re: .class conflicts? Any way around it?

Post by Battosay »

From FC, on the MCForum :
I didn't even know it was out :)

I just checked over their OP, and this will likely be a problem:
The Aether Mod requires ModLoader, AudioMod, and ShockAhPI. We cannot garuantee complete compatibility with other mods, as the pure size of the mod will definitely cause problems. The Aether Mod itself does not edit ANY vanilla classes, but ShockAhPI does edit quite a few, and conflicts with SPC (SPC will not work with the Aether mod, but we are working on a fix for this, so don't worry!).

I'll take a look at the mod though and see what might be done.
So, wait and see :)
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Battosay wrote:From FC, on the MCForum :
I didn't even know it was out :)

I just checked over their OP, and this will likely be a problem:
The Aether Mod requires ModLoader, AudioMod, and ShockAhPI. We cannot garuantee complete compatibility with other mods, as the pure size of the mod will definitely cause problems. The Aether Mod itself does not edit ANY vanilla classes, but ShockAhPI does edit quite a few, and conflicts with SPC (SPC will not work with the Aether mod, but we are working on a fix for this, so don't worry!).

I'll take a look at the mod though and see what might be done.
So, wait and see :)
Cool stuff! TBH I don't even bother on the MCforums anymore except the rare occasion for this or that.
Would anyone happen to know where I can find more info on what specific class files *generally* do?
I have eclipse and opened up the fd.java file, but it is almost completely nonsense to me.

basically if all the fd.class file does is make the "explosive-wolf-diahrrea" noise, then I could live without it, but if it is the source of mechanical power, well... can't live without :P

Sorry for the run-on sentence of dooom.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Ok, So I have tested with both fd.class files (from BTW and from the shockAPHI) and both ways crash the game on startup. So I think, for now at least, it is safe to say that Aether mod is incompatible with BTW. I have a feeling FC will have a fix out rather quick tho ;)
xenoneo

Post by xenoneo »

BTW loads fine with the Aether mod, if you turn off the axe mod in the text file for BTW.
The only problem is water will not activate a glowstone portal if BTW is installed.
It might work if you make the portal and then install BTW after, but I haven't tested that yet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

diegokilla wrote:Ok, So I have tested with both fd.class files (from BTW and from the shockAPHI) and both ways crash the game on startup. So I think, for now at least, it is safe to say that Aether mod is incompatible with BTW. I have a feeling FC will have a fix out rather quick tho ;)
Whoa nelly. I haven't even decided if I will do any kind of fix for this. Don't raise false hopes please.

All I said was that I would look into it, and that means exactly what it says. I probably won't even personally use the Aether mod, so I've got very little in the way of motivation to even consider doing this other than to make others happy.

I also won't be rushing anything out. I've a strong suspicion this mod may be a fad that will quickly burn itself out that is just exploding in popularity right now because of all the anticipation that was built up for it over the past few months. At the very least I'm going to wait and see if that's the case.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

@xenoneo, will definately give that a try, thnx for the info

@FC: Sorry, didn't mean to give false hope, I simply meant that, with you acknowledging the conflict, that I thought you would do something about it. And if you would you would do it relatively soon. As bugfixes and content updates have been being churned at rather quick lately.
Apparently my suspiscion was wrong :P Which is fine tho! As I said before, im BTW addicted, vanilla (or any other type of) MC is just sub-par without BTW.
So if and when you can get to, that would be great, if not... meh, no worries really.

Edit: Not trying to rush ANYONE to do ANYTHING! (Rushed product = shit product imho)

Edit#2
Using the axe=1 setting thing that xenoneo noted, I got it to work, ALSO if you replace that fd.class in your minecraft.jar with the one from ShockAHPI, you can create nether portals. Again, I'm really nor sure what the fd.class does as far as BTW is concerned. So I think i will just drop that fd.class in whenever I decide to make a portal.

If anyone else is reading this and is trying to get ur mods compatible, remember, backup Backup BACKUP!!!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No worries man. I'm just a little gun shy about being pressured for compatibility with other mods since the Yogaboo invasion ;)
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Whoops, a thread for Aether already exists here. And thanks FlowerChild for the consideration.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lighthouse wrote:Whoops, a thread for Aether already exists here. And thanks FlowerChild for the consideration.
No problem. To let you guys now that I'm giving it a serious look, I'm actually playing it right now. I still don't quite "get it", but *I am* giving it a go to try and find the draw.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

You aether get it or you don't. :)
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

FlowerChild wrote:No problem. To let you guys now that I'm giving it a serious look, I'm actually playing it right now. I still don't quite "get it", but *I am* giving it a go to try and find the draw.
Flower actually playing Minecraft?

Preposterous!
cheechako wrote:You aether get it or you don't. :)
*insert rimshot*

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

KWilt wrote: Flower actually playing Minecraft?

Preposterous!
Surely you jest. You do realize I built that factory farm in the video from scratch, all legit, yes?

I may spend *most* of my time with Minecraft modding, but I do still play a rather unhealthy amount as well :)
xenoneo

Post by xenoneo »

I don't like to mess with BTWs code so I didn't overwrite the fd.class.
I did manage to get in the aether with my BTW save by using toomanyitems and manually placing the Aether portal (looks like blue wool) in a checker pattern.
So far I don't see any bugs with either mod besides not being able to create the portal the 'normal' way.
Something else that doesn't work properly may pop up, but I haven't seen it yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears there's no need to fiddle with the code to get it working.
That is unless you're completely against the idea of using toomanyitems. :)
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

xenoneo wrote:I don't like to mess with BTWs code so I didn't overwrite the fd.class.
I did manage to get in the aether with my BTW save by using toomanyitems and manually placing the Aether portal (looks like blue wool) in a checker pattern.
So far I don't see any bugs with either mod besides not being able to create the portal the 'normal' way.
Something else that doesn't work properly may pop up, but I haven't seen it yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears there's no need to fiddle with the code to get it working.
That is unless you're completely against the idea of using toomanyitems. :)
Ya, unforfunately if I have TMI installed, I end up using it. And I am trying to play legit, so... ya.
but i didnt have to mess with any code, just drop the fd.class that is in the ShockAhPI mod into minecraft.jar, then create portal, then put it back.
Shoot you could prolly just leave the fd.class from ShockAhPI in there instead of the one from BTW... but that would prolly break something in BTW...
and imho BTW > Aether :P

Well TBH after playing around a bit in the Aether, I'm already starting to feel a bit let-down. It just feels a bit tacky, like it could have been done better.
I guess I would say some parts of it feel "rushed". (*note earlier post*)
Anyways I'm getting off topic. Think we could get a note on the mod compatbility thread say Aether at least semi-works with the axe setting thingy enabled?? (forgive me but i just cant remember what the actual setting is called)
cheechako

Re: .class conflicts between BTW and Aether

Post by cheechako »

Not to get too off topic, but the InvEdit tool might work, and doesn't require installing a mod. The CJB ModPack would work as well, and you can turn off the inventory part after you get the portal - and you get that oh-so-cool HUD. CJB can also just be dropped into the mods folder if you don't install the optional files, which makes it easy to remove.

I know all of these things are not "legit", but someone can decide for themselves to use them just to get around a bug.
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

If someone could tell exactly what fd.class does and also what FC modified in it, that would be great. It would clear up a lot of questions and (hopefully) deter new topics on this subject.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PureZaros wrote:If someone could tell exactly what fd.class does and also what FC modified in it, that would be great. It would clear up a lot of questions and (hopefully) deter new topics on this subject.
I just put up a rather large post about that in the Turtle area.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Flower, I don't think you would get accurate feedback from this forum, because most of people (including me) here in forum are usually dedicated to BTW and most likely have less interest in other mods which may break our inventions.

You should ask the question on minecraft forum, where people have more fair and unbiased opinions.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lighthouse wrote:Flower, I don't think you would get accurate feedback from this forum, because most of people (including me) here in forum are usually dedicated to BTW and most likely have less interest in other mods which may break our inventions.

You should ask the question on minecraft forum, where people have more fair and unbiased opinions.
Lol...fair and unbiased? No. The rabid nut-jobs on the Minecraft forum are really not my concern with this. There's no way I could get a reasonable opinion out of them at least until the novelty of the Aether wears down a bit.

I'm really only concerned with what the fans of this mod think anyways man. I'm not really interested in attracting more people to it right now.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

FlowerChild wrote:Lol...fair and unbiased? No. The rabid nut-jobs on the Minecraft forum are really not my concern with this.
I actually saw a post on MCF the other day by someone complaining about pistons being added to MC. They felt it was another complex geek thing (like redstone) and that Notch was moving the game away from the casual player. Sigh.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

cheechako wrote: I actually saw a post on MCF the other day by someone complaining about pistons being added to MC. They felt it was another complex geek thing (like redstone) and that Notch was moving the game away from the casual player. Sigh.
<twitch>

Wolves? Maps? Adventure update?

<twitch>

Yeah, I've got to stay away from that place as much as possible for the sake of what's left of my sanity :)
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

FlowerChild wrote:
Lol...fair and unbiased? No. The rabid nut-jobs on the Minecraft forum are really not my concern with this. There's no way I could get a reasonable opinion out of them at least until the novelty of the Aether wears down a bit.

I'm really only concerned with what the fans of this mod think anyways man. I'm not really interested in attracting more people to it right now.
That may be correct, but there are plenty of the posts complaining about Aether mod breaking a lot of other mods (notably Zombe's mods.)

Interestingly, after some quick search on the forum thread on minecraftforum, there aren't many request for compatibility for BTW and Aether (perhaps because there is already workaround exist)

I am also playing Aether mod right now. One thing I noticed is that there are dungeons and unique items which minecraft survival really needed (and obviously Notch will be go in that direction in upcoming 1.8 patch.).
xenoneo

Post by xenoneo »

FlowerChild wrote:
cheechako wrote: I actually saw a post on MCF the other day by someone complaining about pistons being added to MC. They felt it was another complex geek thing (like redstone) and that Notch was moving the game away from the casual player. Sigh.
<twitch>

Wolves? Maps? Adventure update?

<twitch>

Yeah, I've got to stay away from that place as much as possible for the sake of what's left of my sanity :)
I'd recommend staying out of the Aether mod section specifically, on the minecraft forums.
So many people are playing it right now that the IQ level is seriously low at times.

On a side note, if the popularity does not go down for the Aether mod, might there be a 'Better Than Moas' in the future?
I kid, I kid. :D

The mod is pretty sweet though between the boss fights, tool special abilities, and the rare loot.
It's still pretty unstable though. The spawns are so screwed up at times, that there's like 1000 whales and zephyrs, and 0 moas and plants.

----------------
As far as things you could do from the Aether in BTW...
The Icestone can turn any water block around it into ice, and any lava in to obsidian, when placed.
Some funky things could be done with the quick sand. (makes the player and items move faster), and the blue clouds (which make the player or items bounce up. (this is rather portal like in the gel sense.)
That's about all I can think of offhand, besides the obvious automation of cutting trees.