Upgrading Forge's Sprite APIs to 1.2

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading Forge's Sprite APIs to 1.2

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:It's true that I'm still getting about 50-60% of my normal download number, so everyone hasn't updated. And I like your way of thinking about it!
And on the bright side, I just started updating to 1.23 (for real this time) so hopefully I'll have some news for you soon ;)
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

:D I hope you have better luck (or rather knowledge) than I did ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote::D I hope you have better luck (or rather knowledge) than I did ;)
Well, we'll see. This is probably my least favorite part of MC modding. These kinds of updates usually take me a good solid 5 hours or so of mind-numbingly tedious work that really accomplishes nothing in terms of advancing the mod.

I am not a fan :)
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

I fully agree. It's very technical and very boring. It's only worth it when there is some new stuff in MC to integrate with. For me in 1.2 that might be their improved pathing. Otherwise, the jungles look very cool, but there's no way I can fit a village there ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:I fully agree. It's very technical and very boring. It's only worth it when there is some new stuff in MC to integrate with. For me in 1.2 that might be their improved pathing. Otherwise, the jungles look very cool, but there's no way I can fit a village there ;)
Yeah, and for me it's just the new opportunities to abuse wolves through their breeding mechanics :)
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

Ah, wolves and you! What's next, a device requiring cat skin?
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, and for me it's just the new opportunities to abuse wolves through their breeding mechanics :)
I like the way this man thinks for some reason.....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:Ah, wolves and you! What's next, a device requiring cat skin?
Nah, I've decided to make cats the favored animal of BTW, just to further confuse and piss off the wolfaboos ;)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

FlowerChild wrote:
Nah, I've decided to make cats the favored animal of BTW, just to further confuse and piss off the wolfaboos ;)
YES!!
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
>.>
<.<

Ah mah gawd cute kitties omnomnom.

:D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Originally I was planning on changing my avatar to depict a turtle once the hype about cats wore off, but I'm beginning to get the impression I won't need to ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

FC, I assume you saw, but LexManos has posted a test release of Forge for 1.2. I'll check it out tonight and see if I can slim it down to only the sprites system.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

That test release of Forge doesn't work for me. It loads up to the title screen, but the background is missing and just says "missingtex" and when I click any buttons, Minecraft crashes and refuses to provide a crash log no matter what I do to get it to work.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:FC, I assume you saw, but LexManos has posted a test release of Forge for 1.2. I'll check it out tonight and see if I can slim it down to only the sprites system.
Yup, I saw that bit. I'm neck deep in just trying to port over the rest of my code though due to the changes in MCP with regards to parameter names.

This update is turning into quite the epic :)
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

I can imagine! Very annoying fixes to make too.

Millénaire seems to be running fine with Forge in 1.2. However my attempts to recreate the FSE using the new Forge code failed again... I guess I'll release it without for now and wait for the BTW update ;) If you can explain whatever changes are needed then that would be great though, I'd like to know what was happening.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:I can imagine! Very annoying fixes to make too.

Millénaire seems to be running fine with Forge in 1.2. However my attempts to recreate the FSE using the new Forge code failed again... I guess I'll release it without for now and wait for the BTW update ;) If you can explain whatever changes are needed then that would be great though, I'd like to know what was happening.
Yup, was planning to man, although what I am currently doing is basing my Forge-related stuff on the old 1.1 version rather than use the new release.

I talked briefly to LexManos yesterday and he mentioned something about switching the Forge over to Fernflower, and I really don't want to have to deal with anymore variable-name weirdness, so I'm just sticking with the old version and porting it myself.

Anyways, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 base-classes that I edit with the mod, so it's very slow going for me with the MCP parameter-name changing. I basically have to manually merge each and every one, going over them all and making sure the variable names don't get messed up in the process.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

Ah, Fernflower is why all the "unnamed" variables in Forge now have names like var1, var2 etc? Yeah, that made things confusing.

Good luck with your class changes, I can image the pain it must be. When will Mojang release clean code and solve this once and for all? Bit weird that we now have the comments but still not the original variable names...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:Ah, Fernflower is why all the "unnamed" variables in Forge now have names like var1, var2 etc? Yeah, that made things confusing.

Good luck with your class changes, I can image the pain it must be. When will Mojang release clean code and solve this once and for all? Bit weird that we now have the comments but still not the original variable names...
Well, the comments are actually provided by MCP, which is another change I am not too keen on. It may appear helpful, but it actually makes merging base-class edits into new versions much more difficult because any changes to the comments also show up in Diff tools.

But yes, I agree. I'm very eagerly anticipating the release of the mod API.

Hopefully this is the last release we have to go through this man as Mojang appears to be working on their own infinite-texture index thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in the next release, at which point I can ditch Forge entirely.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

K, hadn't realised the comments were from MCP. Makes more sense. And yes I see how they would be a pain for you.

And yes, having MC come with proper extended block ids and built-in extended textures will be a godsend.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

How is the upgrade going? Still a real pain?

I've released a 1.2-compatible version of Millénaire, but it depends on the dev release of Forge (the stable one isn't out yet). Not great but better than nothing for my users ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It sounds like it was a horrid pain in the butt, but FC did release his 1.2.3 version of BTW last night. :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

Ah, cool :)

FlowerChild, any chance I could get the code of the Minecraft classes modified by Forge you're using like you provided for 1.1? Thanks!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kinniken wrote:Ah, cool :)

FlowerChild, any chance I could get the code of the Minecraft classes modified by Forge you're using like you provided for 1.1? Thanks!
Hey man, yeah, I was planning on PMing you that, but was totally burned out last night after wrapping this thing up for the new release. Give me a chance to have come coffee & cigarettes and I'll get that right to you :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:
Kinniken wrote:Ah, cool :)

Hey man, yeah, I was planning on PMing you that, but was totally burned out last night after wrapping this thing up for the new release. Give me a chance to have come coffee & cigarettes and I'll get that right to you :)
Ah, morning coffee and smokes, the better part of breakfast.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

FlowerChild wrote:Hey man, yeah, I was planning on PMing you that, but was totally burned out last night after wrapping this thing up for the new release. Give me a chance to have come coffee & cigarettes and I'll get that right to you :)
Take your time man, it's not to the minute ;) I doubt I'll release anything tonight, I'm deep in my own debugging. I know many of my users will be happy not to be dependent on Forge anymore though!