1.2 feature discussion

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: 1.2 feature discussion

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote: - Snow doesn't appear on maps
I have seen plenty of snow in my freshly generated world.

One piece of (kinda) good news is that wolves don't breed if they are sitting, which means it shouldn't mess with dung-production. I say "kinda" because I already had some cool plans for this :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Makes sense.

If they are sitting, they poop dung. If they are standing, they poop Babies.

Though I was looking forward to automated wolf breeding, and if they won't breed while sitting this isn't an option anymore. Unless the breeding harness works on a wolf to prevent it from following/teleporting to me.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Makes sense.

If they are sitting, they poop dung. If they are standing, they poop Babies.

Though I was looking forward to automated wolf breeding, and if they won't breed while sitting this isn't an option anymore. Unless the breeding harness works on a wolf to prevent it from following/teleporting to me.
Ah. True that. Automated wolf-chop production....mmmmmmm.

Ok, I may change it then to breed while they're sitting as well, and go with my original plan for dung-production.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

snow doesnt appear on "maps" aka, player created maps.

anyways, ive noticed that jungle biomes are rather frequent. so frequest that i might be dling a map generation mod to be able to reduce the frequency of them, lol.

Saw my 1st Desert Well, my 1st Ocelot... still havnt seen an iron golem, tho im waiting in a town for one ^^.

Anyone else notice that there sometimes appear to be deep pools in some inlets? (gonna take a pic and post in a sec).

Edit: Pic
Spoiler
Show

Edit: ergh, crappy pic, posting one with torches at the bottom...
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Kain Magin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FaceFoiled wrote:Some listed bugs:

Bugs:
  • - Big trees are very rare in Forest, birches, pines in Taiga, swamp trees in Swamps, giant mushrooms in Mushroom Biomes
    * 99% of the big trees are replaced by small trees, so no big trees in biomes like Mountains that could generate rare big trees
    - Snow doesn't appear on maps
Also, the nether:
"However, in the Nether, layers 128 to 256 are only accessible in creative mode, due to the unchanged ceiling bedrock at layer 127"
1.2.2 changelist wrote: Bug Fixes:

"Uploaded Minecraft 1.2.2 because birches and pine trees were missing..."
Big trees, swamp trees and giant mushrooms generation fixed.
Snow appears on Maps again.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

A little strange thing that i noticed, desert wells and new unused sandstone texture with glyphs, very interesting.
FlowerChild wrote: Ah. True that. Automated wolf-chop production....mmmmmmm.

Ok, I may change it then to breed while they're sitting as well, and go with my original plan for dung-production.
Some days you said you have a idea what to change if meat only start the breeding process and now you are relating to wolf chops .... if your plan is what i think i like your sardistic behaviour :D
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Snow seems to form on the tops of leaves now. Makes'em purty.

As an aside, anyone else find it rather strange that jungles are predominantly populated by chickens?

Like, I understand that they wanted ocelots to feed on birds, but the constant jungle-poultry is rather odd.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Donzaffi wrote: Some days you said you have a idea what to change if meat only start the breeding process and now you are relating to wolf chops .... if your plan is what i think i like your sardistic behaviour :D
Nope, wolf-chops and the dung production behavior are not related.

What I was saying is that I could have left dung-production alone given that they won't breed while sitting. But given that if I allow them to breed while sitting, it allows automation of wolf-chop production, and I can just stick to my original plan for dung. It's two separate things.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Donzaffi wrote: Some days you said you have a idea what to change if meat only start the breeding process and now you are relating to wolf chops .... if your plan is what i think i like your sardistic behaviour :D
Nope, wolf-chops and the dung production behavior are not related.

What I was saying is that I could have left dung-production alone given that they won't breed while sitting. But given that if I allow them to breed while sitting, it allows automation of wolf-chop production, and I can just stick to my original plan for dung. It's two separate things.
okay i misunderstood it ;)

can be related to the fact that its long ago that i has to do something in english :D

BTW someone has a seed where Ozelots spam can't find any >.<
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

I was concerned that the new map format and doubled height limit would cause an unsightly performance drop on my paleolithic system, even with performance fixes. However, I was pleasantly surprised when FRAPS reported a very playable 25FPS average on 1.2. This is without OptiFine, which I usually consider a requirement for my Minecraft experience.

Settings are:
Spoiler
Show
Normal Render Distance
Fast Graphics
Minimal Particles
Smooth Lighting enabled
Advanced OpenGL Off
Otherwise, I haven't messed around enough to give a verdict on certain aspects of balance and such. One thing I did notice: Is there a functional difference between villagers wearing white versus brown, or is it just cosmetic?
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The wild precursors of chickens were originally domesticated in the jungles of south east Asia, so it makes sense that they'd be everywhere in the jungle.

And forget wolf-chop production, I'm thinking automated companion cube factories.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The wild precursors of chickens were originally domesticated in the jungles of south east Asia, so it makes sense that they'd be everywhere in the jungle.

And forget wolf-chop production, I'm thinking automated companion cube factories.
"Battosay vs. The Companion Cube" calling it :)
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I must say my least favorite part of the new update is the frequency of the jungle biomes.mojang really needs to work on moderation.
And HOW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:I must say my least favorite part of the new update is the frequency of the jungle biomes.mojang really needs to work on moderation.
Agreed. My usual policy when balancing is to err towards making things harder than they need to be initially, and then if necessary, tweak to make them easier.

What could have been something that gave you the joy of a sense of discovery after a bit of exploration, instead rapidly becomes "oh...another jungle".
TheAnarchitect wrote: And forget wolf-chop production, I'm thinking automated companion cube factories.
Yikes! How could I not think of that? Too true :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:I must say my least favorite part of the new update is the frequency of the jungle biomes.mojang really needs to work on moderation.

agree with you there, first it was the snow biome now it is the jungles. Jungles seem very laggy. Honestly this release seems rushed due to many issues.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

destineternel wrote: agree with you there, first it was the snow biome now it is the jungles. Jungles seem very laggy. Honestly this release seems rushed due to many issues.
Yeah, they're honestly not much fun once the novelty wears off. Navigating them is a real pain due to the leaves everywhere, and animals are constantly in very odd places due to being able to climb the vines.

Really not sure about the vine climbing in general.

I think I've pretty much exhausted my 1.2 play-through. My house is now surrounded by cats after taming a couple, then breeding, and I just built a few redstone lamps after getting to the nether. Built a golem quite awhile ago too.

I guess the best thing I can say about this update is that it's nice to have a use for fishing. I can't remember the last time I bothered with it.

Also, I like the zombie breaking down doors thing. Shame it's only on hard.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
kregoth wrote: I think a FlowerChild MC patch is fine with me if it helps balance the mod in the changes that break it :)
Nah, that's not the kind of stuff I "fix". It's Mojang's tech-tree, and they're free to break it if they like.

I think it's a real shame though, as it's taking the focus of the game away from making stuff (which is one of the strength's of MC's design), and focuses it instead on finding stuff (which is what pretty much every RPG on the planet does).

Honestly, I question Notch's decision to turn the *design* of Minecraft over to Jeb. I don't think he's a designer.
Notch has been stating for quite a while that he wants Minecraft to be more about exploration with a goal. I agree that it's a shame but I don't see it changing.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote: Notch has been stating for quite a while that he wants Minecraft to be more about exploration with a goal. I agree that it's a shame but I don't see it changing.
Well, I think there's a big difference between adding new content that encourages exploration, and just nerfing old content so that creating it can be entirely bypassed.

I'm all for encouraging exploration, just not in this way.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

1.2 or not... I would like to know how a chest full of higher end materials and tools in the village 5 blocks away from where you spawn encourages exploration...
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Gargantuan_Penguin

Ribky wrote:1.2 or not... I would like to know how a chest full of higher end materials and tools in the village 5 blocks away from where you spawn encourages exploration...
obviously, like everything newly added in minecraft, it's buggy.
And HOW!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just got a crash while sneaking on a block at max-height (256).

EDIT: And...it looks like it fucked my world.

EDIT 2: Nope, was able to fall off before it crashed yet again.

EDIT 3: Max height - 1 appears safe, but I'd advise against building to max height.
Gargantuan_Penguin

hmm, I can't recreate it. I am on superflat and creative though.
And HOW!
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

FlowerChild wrote:Just got a crash while sneaking on a block at max-height (256).

EDIT: And...it looks like it fucked my world.

EDIT 2: Nope, was able to fall off before it crashed yet again.

EDIT 3: Max height - 1 appears safe, but I'd advise against building to max height.
That's a official bug, documented in the wiki version history: "If a player builds to the height limit, and stands on top of that structure, the game will crash with a false "saving chunks" screen. "

So building is not the problem, but yo shouldn't stand on top of it.

What's the general opinion on the new AI system? I encountered quite a few mobs that took ages until they started chasing me or didn't move at all until I hit them.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

in regards to the AI, seems mojang has taught all the mobs how to breakdance.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Whisp wrote:What's the general opinion on the new AI system? I encountered quite a few mobs that took ages until they started chasing me or didn't move at all until I hit them.
Yeah, I've also seen groups of zombies standing outside perfectly still in the daylight without catching fire, only to do so once they start moving.

I get the impression that the AI updates rather infrequently, or perhaps distance from the player is a factor in that.

That shouldn't be too hard to fix though, and I wouldn't judge the AI on the basis of it, unless of course it's updating so infrequently because it's a big performance hit.