Minecraft Modding API / Multiplayer server

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
TheAnarchitect

Re: Minecraft Modding API / Multiplayer server

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The thought of playing on a server with BTW, BTB, and my friends makes me extremely happy. Of course, my friends don't have the kind of time to play that I do. What I really need is some sort of harness that prevents them from leaving their computers.....
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Catox

Post by Catox »

TheAnarchitect wrote:The thought of playing on a server with BTW, BTB, and my friends makes me extremely happy. Of course, my friends don't have the kind of time to play that I do. What I really need is some sort of harness that prevents them from leaving their computers.....
or give a computer to your minecraft's animals
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

<removed>
Last edited by Ethinolicbob on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

<removed>
Last edited by Ethinolicbob on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

<removed>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote: 3 posts on this rant... I have gone nuts.
Anyway what do you all think?
I think you just earned yourself a temp ban for the reason you yourself just noted. This may be the off-topic section, but this kind of self-bumping for what amounts to a mod suggestion, is extremely bad form.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

"place charge on wall"
"walk through the newly created door"
"battle Axe survivors"
"profit"

I'm liking the sound of where this is going. Just don't get too pissed when I Divert the ocean into you're underground base or wire explosives to your lift control system.
"floor 12"
"floor 13"
"basement ding dong"
"BOOM"
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Hehehe, yes.

Step 1: Find someone's DB-based platform elevator, and then rig a couple stacks of TNT to their DB that is supposed to stop the platform once it reaches that level.
Step 2: Lie in wait.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit

You're actually right, Flower, this kinda anarchy-based playstyle could be fun as hell for those with balls big enough to handle it :3
I always thought of the anarchist-greifer people on servers as assholes and trolls, but those servers were survival/build servers. In that kinda situation, then the griefers are bad but when everyone is a griefer, then it's cool. Sign me up for when this pipedream comes to be.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I'd like to play on an anarchy server... cooperatively. The current thoughts in meta-ethics, evolutionary biology and game theory is that altruism and cooperation develop out of competitive anarchy because they truly provide an advantage that being a jerk doesn't. I'm feeling a social experiment coming on.....
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I'd like to play on an anarchy server... cooperatively. The current thoughts in meta-ethics, evolutionary biology and game theory is that altruism and cooperation develop out of competitive anarchy because they truly provide an advantage that being a jerk doesn't. I'm feeling a social experiment coming on.....
It helps that your name is "TheAnarchitect". But yeah, studies have shown that much closer relationships can develop when people go through stressful, difficult situations together. Also, it allows for some very devious situations. Befriend someone by co-op surviving with them for a while and then kill them, burn their house down, and leave them in the middle of nowhere with no rescources, no plan, and no hope. The trauma.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I would LOVE a way of truly getting lost in a world.

I imagine a BTW anarchy focused SMP mod hiding or disabling coordinates and disabling global chat. I played on a server that disabled global chat and it REQUIRED players to travel across the world to meet up with other factions. Imagine the gameplay that could come along with having chat options that go from whisper (anyone in 10 blocks could here you), talk (anyone in 50 blocks) or shout (anyone in 200 blocks). If players also were unable to see each other through walls (hide nametag if there isn't line of sight) I could imagine a situation where a player from one group sneak through the wall of the base of an opposing group and quietly listens while running along covered up redstone, axles and gearboxes. Imagine walking out of your house and seeing another player leap off the roof where they were listening to your conversation with friends.

Something else that could exist for something like this would be Notes. Notes would work like maps and allow players to silently pass information directly to each other (just by clicking with the note in hand gives it to another player if they have room). Notes wouldn't generally be used, and would be single use, but they would be signed by the author. This would allow couriers to exist to bring messages from one group to another. It would also make it easier to leave notes for players.

I half bring these ideas up to see if FlowerChild might consider them, but also to make some suggestions to any other modders that might be working on things. We can potentially create an entirely new game experience here, with BTW at the core. I can't wait!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I was thinking about how to limit defection like that. I think a good method might be investment. Meaning you can't just join for free, you have to invest a significant resource to the group. If the cost of this resource is greater than what you could reasonably make off with by defecting, it would be a deterrent. Not that you wouldn't still get jerks, you just wouldn't get people who joined the Pax just to loot it when everyone isn't looking. I'm thinking maybe you have to give a diamond block to sign up, which we burn (so it can't be stolen back, you see.)

The thing is that cooperation needs a critical mass to become functional. If everyone is committed to being jerks.....
With servers in general, I think we can't get that critical mass of cooperative people in anarchy because cooperative people don't PLAY anarchy. They play the other modes. The only people who play anarchy are those who specifically want to mess with other people.

So I'm putting the call out here. If and when we get BTW SMP, everyone should play anarchy mode. Those who don't want to be constantly griefed, don't pussy out. Lets ban together, and see if we change the social dynamic of a developing society. And by that I mean lets gang up on any griefer that dares mess with us.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote: I think you just earned yourself a temp ban for the reason you yourself just noted. This may be the off-topic section, but this kind of self-bumping for what amounts to a mod suggestion, is extremely bad form.
So I had to go google bumping... Such an alien concept.

I was on such a giddy little high imagining what the server might look like, that I thought I should share it with a community I enjoy being in (if only passively) , 20 minutes later I appended my idea and an hour after that I added more.
Perhaps I should have been less ignorant to forum etiquette.
Perhaps I should have appended it to my original post.
Perhaps I should have not even bothered and kept it in a note only for me.
But what bugs me is the pettiness of it. I expected more from the calibre of this community. I expected a lot more from FC.

I would like to retract my suggestion. I only put it out there because I know I won't make the effort to maintain it and make it publicly available.
I think I will will try to realise my idea, if not for me but also for my friends.

As it is evident that I do not frequently post on forums and do not know these 'Unwritten Rules' (I did search for a rule here pertaining to this event) I think I would like to quietly back out. 8 posts and I already caused someone I otherwise respected, to ban me. No telling what else I can cause.

Back to the actual topic at hand...
BigShinyToys wrote:"place charge on wall"
"walk through the newly created door"
"battle Axe survivors"
"profit"

I'm liking the sound of where this is going. Just don't get too pissed when I Divert the ocean into you're underground base or wire explosives to your lift control system.
"floor 12"
"floor 13"
"basement ding dong"
"BOOM"
Just as long as you don't get annoyed that the new 'door' only led you into the outer cloister, designed to kill a Steve in every possible way. And who knows if that if even a real base? Perhaps its just a death machine designed to lure in unsuspecting Steve's hungry for loot?
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

You know, the only problem I see with anarchy style of play is the "challenge accepted" moment.

You see, once your base manages to kill a stranger several times he won't just give up. And he will eventually get in. And he will eventually burn it right down.

All the mechanics and secret entrances and traps are all pretty useless when someone can simply take the pick to them.

Essentially, you might as well create a new base once someone finds it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote: Essentially, you might as well create a new base once someone finds it.
Yup, that's absolutely true of anarchy. Your defenses usually only serve to give you more time to get away.
EvilSheeper

Post by EvilSheeper »

I like the sound of a anarchy PVP server. But one problem I don't know how to get past is people cheating. How would one get around X-Ray TPs, or fly-mods? Those things really ruin the gameplay for everyone.
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)
Catox

Post by Catox »

there are counter measures against x-ray or flying mods.

about the "base found > base dead" problem, we can also imagine installing ourselves inside what looks like a base that was already turned to ashes.

What I'm wondering about regarding anarchy play style, is the way spawn/respawn points should be treated.
No restriction around the spawn would allow some malicious people to make it an instant kill place, and thus a non-playable map.
Yet restrictions would suppress the 'freedom' an anarchy server is meant to provide.
... maybe changing the spawning process in order to have the player placed randomly in the world could be an idea.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Catox wrote:there are counter measures against x-ray or flying mods.

about the "base found > base dead" problem, we can also imagine installing ourselves inside what looks like a base that was already turned to ashes.

What I'm wondering about regarding anarchy play style, is the way spawn/respawn points should be treated.
No restriction around the spawn would allow some malicious people to make it an instant kill place, and thus a non-playable map.
Yet restrictions would suppress the 'freedom' an anarchy server is meant to provide.
... maybe changing the spawning process in order to have the player placed randomly in the world could be an idea.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

But then, imagine you stupidly killed yourself in your own base.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

EvilSheeper wrote:I like the sound of a anarchy PVP server. But one problem I don't know how to get past is people cheating. How would one get around X-Ray TPs, or fly-mods? Those things really ruin the gameplay for everyone.
any player that is off the ground but not falling gets electrocuted by lightning after 2 seconds. should make life more interesting. as for TP's i have no idea.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Protip for anarchy servers: Build a nice overground compound with several buildings and stuff, and then blow it up, burn it down, and make it look like Little Hiroshima (no offense to Japanese readers). Then, go through and put a few low to mid-tech blocks out in the open and items in chests to make it look like a few things survived the assault. Then, build your base underground below that. People will come along, see the ruins, and figure someone already got driven out of the area. Then, instead of scavenging deeply and searching around, they'll see the few valuables, grab them, and leave you hidden. Extra points if you build a sealed obsidian bunker in the main building and while they inevitably try to mine their way in out of curiosity, you sneak up behind them and murder them.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I just realized. In a proper anarchy server cave spider spawners and mineshafts can be your best and worst ennemy giving you the power to build super strong weapons and armors but also leading people strait to your base when said mineshaft is found.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

What do you mean, a cave spider spawner would be very useful? To farm XP? Meh. I don't like farming XP from spawners. It would be really cool if FC made it so that when you killed a player, you could get all the experience they had. After killing the Enderdragon, whoever was under it when it died would be subject to immediate assault from all their "buddies" as they tried to get the hundred-odd levels the dragon dropped.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Lmao true but like I mentioned on the edolas thread farming XP from a triple spider spawner really speeds things up and if the base is built properly then the actual farming happens while your doing other things.
shoegun56

Post by shoegun56 »

I can like Bukkit's conclution ;)
Cheese. A green one. Yum.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

There are two things I'd like to point out for an "official" BtW anarchy server. First and most obviously, everyone will be out to get YOU specifically, FC, every other casualty would be an added extraCV activity :P

If you doubt that, check out the prankwars on Guude's mindcrack server, Guude himself was pranked by everyone, almost 70% of the pranks were on him,heheh.

Second thing, and what I hate in anarchy servers, is X ray devices and X ray TPs. Those really suck all the fun out of hide and seek..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said