Feed Trough

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Darken5

Feed Trough

Post by Darken5 »

A feed trough (aka Manger), that is similar to a cauldron; you can throw/drop food into it, or open it up as a menu; that animals can eat from when hungry.

Pictures of a Feed Trough
Spoiler
Show

Can be mechanicaly powered (some have augurs in them to sift the feed). Would simplify breeding, and also be astheticaly pleasing if you just want to make a fenced in pen.
Life sucks, get a cat!
Stormweaver

Re: Feed Trough

Post by Stormweaver »

The problem is, the current solution for automatically breeding animals is fairly easy to implement, and a rather decent first-step in automating your breeding/dung production. Adding in a block that makes that kinda effort pointless would take away from the mod overall.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

But. but. but.... yea, i see your point. /cry
Life sucks, get a cat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, Darken, I'd least like to *attempt* to understand what's going on here before I permanently ban you from the forums.

On Monday, I issued you a warning saying that you should get to know the community better before posting suggestions.

On Tuesday I issued a temp ban when you didn't heed that warning.

Now, you're back on Thursday posting suggestions, still just as poorly thought out as ever.

Now, contrary to my image, I don't particularly like smacking people around like this, so man:

Why?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I have to turn in for the night, but I'd ask forum members other than Darken to stay out of this and give him a chance to respond.

If things get out of control while I'm away, I'd ask the other moderators to lock this down and hand out the appropriate bans.
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

Ok, i apologize. i'll back off for good...
Life sucks, get a cat!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

At the risk of sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...

It's nice that you realize you've been beyond the line, and the apology is nice. However, that doesn't answer FlowerChild's question of why. I would suggest finding an answer to give, lest he has to assume one of the less flattering ones.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

Edit: ::cleans up post::

Ok, thanks to a PM from RaustBlackDragon, i think i now have a better understanding of the "spirit" of BTW, at least a mild one. But i now see why my previous ideas have been shot down so vehemently. BTW is not (in my current understanding, please correct me if i'm wrong) after simple simplification of a tack through its progression, it is more focused on furthering what can be done in minecraft, via new mechanisms, features, and automation of many tasks. Some things are made to simplify things from previous stages (ex: handcrank -> Windmill -> waterwheel) and some are meant to provide new functionality (hibachi/stewpot). BTW Ideas should not in most part be "Items" but new exciting functions and methods of doing something (set to a strict guideline).

Please correct me if my current understanding of BTW iswrong in any way. I do not want to be banned, and i would like to understand the "spirit of BTW"
Last edited by Darken5 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life sucks, get a cat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I asked for an explanation of your behavior, not an apology.

So, why did you do it?
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

explanation of why.... hmmm. Why? Because I thought a feed trough woud be a good idea. Still do to be honest. Why? I thought i had better understanding of BTW. The ability of animals to eat directly from a storage device is a functionality not implemented in minecraft.

I'll be honest with you, i dont know how to answer a question of "why" i did something. Its in my nature to do or not to do, not to consider the why's at every turn, if i did so, i'd never acomplish anything in life. If youre going to ban me over not knowing why i did something... I don't know what to say, i really and truly don't.
Life sucks, get a cat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's pretty simple: when I issued both a warning and a temp-ban telling you not to post any more suggestions, why did you decide to ignore that and come right back and post a suggestion?

In other words, why did you ignore the warnings?
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

Because I thought it was a good suggestion.
Life sucks, get a cat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Darken5 wrote:Because I thought it was a good suggestion.
Ah, ok. Well, if you can't respect the rules of the board, and won't heed multiple warnings when they are given, then I don't want you around.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight into your thought process (or lack thereof) though.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I know that I am the kind of person who thinks up something cool and cant wait to share it with everyone here. Even if it is a bit silly, Part of the problem for me at least is that while i see something as the Greatest idea ever, its difficult to tell how other people will take it, It's easier to find faults with the ides of others than with my own. I tend to only find the upsides of my concepts, missing completely something that is horribly obvious to anyone else. Its not that i don't Try to find faults with my Ideas, its just that i can't see them in the way that someone with a fresh perspective would. Call it Bias towards oneself.

I could easily imagine that many others have the same feeling to there own ideas and suggestions. And Every time i Post something here i know that at the very least I'm going to get good critical feedback to most any of my concepts, regardless of whether or not they end up implemented. For people with a less deep understanding of programing, and especially the inner workings of minecraft's code, its difficult to discern the time that it would take to implement a feature. I have a basic Knowledge of scripting and programing, but its still impossible for me to know how long it would take for you to implement any feature for sure.

Most people who post suggestions here aren't trying to be malicious, they often genuinely believe that their idea is something that fits within minecraft and/or BTW.

Edit:
Its a lot like your Eureka Thread in many ways, With one key difference, yours have been on the implementation, rather than the concept. People are just as excited to share a new idea with you and the other BTW members, as you are to share your newly implemented features with us.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's all well and good Nexus, but when someone doesn't heed multiple warnings to stop a particular kind of behavior, they will be banned. That's what happened here, as the poster was warned repeatedly, through both a warning and a temp ban to stop posting suggestions, and refused to take that seriously.

Again, if someone can't respect the rules of the forum, or listen when they are issued warnings, I don't want them around. I am not running a day-care, and this guy seemed to think it's exceptional to even be asked for justification of his own behavior.

Anyways, thread locked.