"Mojam"

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
orangeweaver

"Mojam"

Post by orangeweaver »

Hey I just stumbled upon this and thought I might post it here ... with all the talk about Notch possibly funding or helping to fund Psychonauts 2, it looks like he has some other plans for charity.

I sometimes check out Ludame Dare (sorry I'm so horrible with names) and it seems to somewhat take on that concept, a short amount of time to make a game, only Notch will be doing it from the 17-18 w/ the Humble Bundle guys for a charity. Anyway, I think it's a pretty awesome idea and really love the humble bundle as I mainly play smaller games now (okay, mostly minecraft).

I'm really excited to see what Notch produces and hope it's on Mac so that I can buy myself a copy.

Check it out: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02 ... more-94574
gftweek

Re: "Mojam"

Post by gftweek »

orangeweaver wrote:Hey I just stumbled upon this and thought I might post it here ... with all the talk about Notch possibly funding or helping to fund Psychonauts 2, it looks like he has some other plans for charity.

I sometimes check out Ludame Dare (sorry I'm so horrible with names) and it seems to somewhat take on that concept, a short amount of time to make a game, only Notch will be doing it from the 17-18 w/ the Humble Bundle guys for a charity. Anyway, I think it's a pretty awesome idea and really love the humble bundle as I mainly play smaller games now (okay, mostly minecraft).

I'm really excited to see what Notch produces and hope it's on Mac so that I can buy myself a copy.

Check it out: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02 ... more-94574
The way I took it from their video, is all of Mojang will be contributing to the game, so it won't just be a solo effort like Ludlum Dare. I'll be interested to see what comes of it on Monday, but I don't think it will be the next "minecraft" or even in a similar genre.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I agree. I don't think it will be similar at all.

You are right, it does sound like it is all of Mojang, which actually is more exciting to me. A team effort over two days? I wonder what they will come up with. In fact I think it will be a good thing to do something non-minecraft related / comparible as much as I love that game.

I think it's a pretty cool concept and it seems like the indie developers have been really tapping into this kind of market / advertising more and more. I quite like it and have been enjoying the smaller titles more than the huge titles, but that may be a really personal thing as I fell off from 'gaming' a long time ago.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

orangeweaver wrote:I sometimes check out Ludame Dare
Haha, that's funny. Ludum Dare is actually run by a friend of mine. I always chuckle when other people know about it. Small world.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Haha, that's funny. Ludum Dare is actually run by a friend of mine. I always chuckle when other people know about it. Small world.
Very cool. I think it's a great concept and enjoy it time to time, tell your buddy to keep on the grind.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Ha this is actually pretty cool. So um ya, am I the only one who voted for a Horror Dating Sim? "Evil Laugh"
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

I can't see Mojang managing a game that I'd truly consider horror. Minecraft can get creepy in certain situations, but the creepy factor is more of a happy accident so to speak than purposeful design.

...that said, there was that ghost boss room from that first Ludum Dare entry Notch streamed. That was legitimately creepy, at first.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote: Haha, that's funny. Ludum Dare is actually run by a friend of mine. I always chuckle when other people know about it. Small world.
Haha, I've always loved the ludum dare. Participating in it is one of my big rewards for improving my programming to the point of being able to make a game relatively quickly. I actually used to participate in 48-hour game contests based on the OHRRPGCE, and always had a blast. Never really had enough done to really submit anything, but hell, I was 13-14 when I was playing with this. I didn't even have the imagination to create anything but shitty fangames ^.^
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

"The #mojam poll is closed, in the last minute it was changed to RTS Shoot 'em Up in a Steampunk Ancient Egypt theme"

Could be fun. I'd like to see how they manage the RTS aspect.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

SilvasRuin wrote:"The #mojam poll is closed, in the last minute it was changed to RTS Shoot 'em Up in a Steampunk Ancient Egypt theme"

Could be fun. I'd like to see how they manage the RTS aspect.
Battlezone ('98) meets Serious Sam!
Better is the enemy of Good
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Gilberreke wrote:
Well Ludum Dare is well known in Minecraft community because Notch talks about it a lot (and, if I'm not mistaken, he participated in all or at least most of them).
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Well Ludum Dare is well known in Minecraft community because Notch talks about it a lot (and, if I'm not mistaken, he participated in all or at least most of them).
I doubt that he participated in most of them, there's been 22 so far, with a ton of unofficial ones in between.

As far as I can tell, the first one he entered was LD12
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Urian

Post by Urian »

Something about Steampunk ancient egypt made me think of the (book) series The Parasol Protectorate, a steampunk (victorian era) fantasy that has some ancient Egyptian themes to it :)

Watching the stream now, looks like a flash game atm but that's probably because currently they're only showing testing of the minimap and fog of war-reveal radius.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Just bought this, the current builds of both games are pretty fun but I can't figure out how to shoot in the wolfire one.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

This is purchasable already? Thought it wasn't til Monday?
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

It/they've been available throughout their production. The point is trying to earn as much money coming in during production as possible for charity purposes. There's a little over half an hour left at this point. It looks like they're going to fall far short of the million they were hoping for and promising to shave Notch's beard for.
Urian

Post by Urian »

If you donate you get a link to the game. It's still a very very unfinished version though (I've only tried the Mojang game, not the other ones).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea