Lens burns monsters

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
RaustBlackDragon

Lens burns monsters

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Well, with the upcoming monster AI that causes them to flee from sunlight, I think the obvious course of action in automating mob traps is to lure them into water flows by exposing them to sunlight periodically. The most effective method of doing this would be to make a lens aimed downward cause sunlight, frying the monsters.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Flesh_Engine

Re: Lens burns monsters

Post by Flesh_Engine »

It's a great idea for "force moving" mobs like Raust mentioned, but keep in mind, for all intents and purposes this turns the Lens into a Zombie/Skeleton death laser during the daylight hours.

Might make things too easy in the end as it requires less fiddling with a kill mechanism in exchange for uptime.
Might also make an actual half day clock too easy to make.
(zombie/skeleton in a hole (mob spawner), lightray on it, during the day the light touches the detector indented in the shaft, at night its blocked by the mob)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
mr.creeper

Post by mr.creeper »

If i recall correctly , when Flower conceived of the lens he didn't want it to be like a sci-fi laser that damaged mobs.
RaustBlackDragon

mr.creeper wrote:If i recall correctly , when Flower conceived of the lens he didn't want it to be like a sci-fi laser that damaged mobs.
Who said anything about THAT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnPbgzPt_8
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

This would not make the Lense sci-fi.
The monster burn in the sunlight, because it destroys the demon parts of them (thats why Spider and Creeper not burn)
The Lense would be the pure light power (since it costs diamonds and is just awesome), and it would kill these guys.

By the way: The new mob AI will make the mobs fleeing from sunlight, so that they try not to burn.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
RaustBlackDragon

Elevatator wrote: By the way: The new mob AI will make the mobs fleeing from sunlight, so that they try not to burn.
That's the main point: The idea is to chase the zombies and skeletons into the water by abusing their upcoming AI tweaks to help automate mob traps.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

first off vine traps are a very useful feature. and can do almost all the jobs specified here. and secondly a block that is at the highest light level cant burn a mob so why would a lens be capable of that when it is only powered by one sixth of that. ( cos it connects to only one side. ) as much as I like the idea I cant see FC going for a 128 block long light saber.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I think you´re right. It would be too overpowered.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

mr.creeper wrote:If i recall correctly , when Flower conceived of the lens he didn't want it to be like a sci-fi laser that damaged mobs.
The lens is simply focusing artificial light and forcing it in a specific direction. This type of light never hurt sunlight sensitive mobs before so it doesn't make sense that it should now but Jeb said something in the future about adding additional ores. If jeb ends up adding silver as an ore then instead of connecting the lens to a simple light block could we melt the silver down into a silver nitrate prism that could be positioned, during the day time, in an open space with no blocks above it(like the windmill), to collect sunlight? The prism will deflect pure sunlight but would require a lens to focus the light and make it coherent otherwise the light beam deflecting from the prism would be diffuse or scattered and not useful for weaponization against unholy hoards.

By setting up mirrors and lenses, or just an initial mirror lens and then adding additional prisms(like we do with gearboxes), the focused beam of sunlight could be directed anywhere under the ground or into your dark structures for altering mob behavior. If causing them to ignite is to unbalanced it might just serve as a means forcing skeleton/zombie to retreat from teh light, or potentially blind them( i think mobs vision range can be impaired so it might have uses there.)

Otherwise it might be used for sorting live mobs as creepers can ignore it. Or for attracting peaceful mobs in dark containers.

Until some new reflective ore is released something else will have to stand in for it.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

While no other form of artificial light burns mobs is it not reasonable for a block as expensive as the lens to atleast trick the mobs into thinking it is day light?

On the flip side can this not already be done using pistons and actual sunlight?