New Release! (BTW V3.50)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pseudosavior

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.50)

Post by Pseudosavior »

Wow, to think that the lens is finally here. Having been in the BTW loop since the first thread (which your post of it earlier seriously brought back memories... Both good and bad) really amped my anticipation for this feature. While I'm not very technologically advanced in my current world, and I'm not the best with redstone and its applications, I believe this addition will be absolutely beautiful.

I know I've expressed it before, but seriously man, absolutely great work, I have nothing but respect for your level of coding quality. Thanks for the continuing joy that you bring to me (as well as others) through this mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EvilSheeper wrote:Wow. Thanks FC! I would be enjoying this release if I wasn't moving my computer to another room. Bad timing on my part.
One question:"please upgrade to the 3.x branch of BTB" do you mean 3.x buildcraft or do we need to wait until next release of BTB?
Both actually :)

Next release of BTB will be 3.0, which will also require the 3.x branch of BuildCraft to function.
Pseudosavior wrote: I know I've expressed it before, but seriously man, absolutely great work, I have nothing but respect for your level of coding quality. Thanks for the continuing joy that you bring to me (as well as others) through this mod.
You're welcome man, and thanks for the thoughtful message :)
PsyJester

Post by PsyJester »

great update :)

were the particle effects from bd fixed in this update?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PsyJester wrote:great update :)

were the particle effects from bd fixed in this update?
Someone else want to handle this? I'm exhausted :)
PsyJester

Post by PsyJester »

sorry won't bother you again
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PsyJester wrote:sorry won't bother you again
It's not that. It's just the usual "if it's not in the change log, it's not in the mod".

The alternative is an endless streams of questions along the lines of:

"Is this in yet?"

"No."

"Is that in yet?"

"No."

"Is the Drew Barrymore pleasure bot with lasers shooting out of her eyes in yet?"

"No."

Hopefully you can see how this gets rather tiresome. There are an infinite number of things that aren't in the mod, and a finite number I've just added. I find it much more enjoyable when these threads focus on the latter :)
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

Very excellent update! Thanks for all of your hard work. I appreciate the thought that goes into every feature. :)
ZomB Tott

Post by ZomB Tott »

Congrats FC! And here I thought I was going get a good amount of sleep this weekend >.>
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Well, i can see why you got the somewhat flamey reaction that change earlier in the thread, FC - I'll admit i groaned when i saw it, but this is more because it breaks a portion of my base which now needs a complete redesign to function properly (Since i had a 4 millstone grinding station hooked up to a simple sorting/storage soloution)

That said, i can also entirely see why you've done it - it was, indeed, somewhat overpowered. And if I'm right in figuring out how to automate in my brain, you only need a detector block & a block dispenser to automate it - so, about 9 soul urns produced the manual way, which is hardly a back breaking sort of thing to do.

and hey, this update has the Lens! What's not to love?
foi

Post by foi »

Amazing work Flowerchild.
The Lens is just awesome.
Can't wait to see what creative people will do with it.

Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Epic!

I downloaded it right away. Now I'm making a heart appear on a wall in a click of a button - like that part in Portal 2 when GLaDOS tries to make you stop escaping.
Does anyone know a good, free screen capturing program? I remember I used a great one before, but I can't remember the name...
-Bandicam-
Last edited by Itamarcu on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Brilliant update Flower! So many awesome changes beyond the lens...

What a wonderful thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning :)

Thank you so much my good sir. Absolutely spiffing!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Look what I just did :P

Thanks again, Flowerchild, for allowing me to create a contraption this big on my 8 years old laptop, and still be able to screen capture it (although the quality is pretty crappy).

EDIT:

Oh, and I also found out a thing (bug? feature?): When the lens is powered, detector blocks can see it's beam only when it's on. BUT, the buddy block also sends a short signal if it's put right next to a lit surface. strangely enough, the buddy block only does it when the lens is powered - if it's turned off, the buddy block won't sense any change.

Proof:

Off-
Spoiler
Show
On (the buddy block only sends a pulse for about 20 milliseconds, of course)-
Spoiler
Show
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Awesome update! The other way of making soul urns was nice, but I guess it really was kinda OP. Well, nothing like a new system to get automated in my main world!

I have found one minor bug with the lens. If the lens is lighting up a wall, standing in the beam does block it, but if you are standing right next to the wall, the beam isn't blocked, and the surface right in front of you lights up. This is probably because when you are right next to the wall, you are no longer in a beam block, but in a glowing detector logic block, and so it doesn't sense that you are in the beam, and therefore doesn't block it.

EDIT: I just found out that lava works as a light source for the lens... cool.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:
EvilSheeper wrote:Wow. Thanks FC! I would be enjoying this release if I wasn't moving my computer to another room. Bad timing on my part.
One question:"please upgrade to the 3.x branch of BTB" do you mean 3.x buildcraft or do we need to wait until next release of BTB?
Both actually :)

Next release of BTB will be 3.0, which will also require the 3.x branch of BuildCraft to function.
Ah I'm sorry to bother you with this, but I'm really not getting it. So, if we have BTB installed, we must wait for the next version on BTb to instal 3.5 btw? or should we just install 3.5, and the 3.x branc of buildcraft and the game will still run, but without the 3.x features?

Really sorry to bother you,. I know you're tired. If anybody else knows the answer it would b greatly appreciated.

EDIT:Sorry, just checked the BTB page, the info there is very clear. Talk about premature posting.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

FlowerChild wrote:"Is the Drew Barrymore pleasure bot with lasers shooting out of her eyes in yet?"

"No"
Kinda disappointed, I know a lot of people are waiting for this one :(

I'll guess we'll play we the lens waiting for that future patch to come out.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh, I wasn't expecting it this week-end. Awesome. Looks like I won't get out much for the next two days :p
Thanks a lot man, this update looks quite fantastic !! :)

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the size of the collision volume on a Hopper without a filter, to match that of one with a filter. This resolves a number of issues with items falling through the cracks between blocks in certain setups, and makes Hopper behavior more consistent overall. It should also now be possible to flow items over a Hopper without a filter in the same way as one without.
Though I don't like this one at all. It just allows us to do what we could already, but way more easily, without the need of any thinking ;)

But anyway, thanks for your amazing work :)
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Hehe, I guess my Big Bang Theory marathon will have to be put on hold, thanks for the update :)
I remember first hearing about the Lens, back on the MCF, was that back in may ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Finally the lens has landed. Thanks for the update as always FC!
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

GAH! The hopper update broke my chicken coop I just recently built!
The rest is really cool though. I agree with soul urn filling change - it always felt WAY too easy when compared to the other steps in their production.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

That was fast FC. Congrats and a huge thanks for the awesome update (as always !).
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added the Lens as a new block type (finally). I'm not shitting you. I'm not trolling. This is for really real time.
So. Many. Ideas. In my head. Brain hurts :D
FlowerChild wrote:-Added a new variety of the Planter that may be created by placing soul sand in an empty Planter, instead of dirt (no bone meal is required). This allows for the growing of netherwart and Bloodwood trees, but will not allow for maturation of these plants outside of the Nether. Bloodwood saplings can plant themselves on these blocks just like with regular soul-sand.
This is one of those things that I was hoping for. Makes some things just that tiny bit easier :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Added the ability to power mechanical devices with a Hand Crank sitting on top of them.
I just back-flipped :D. I've been wanting this feature since the first time I built a hand crank.

This is one hell of an update. I love it! :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

Yay! New toys! I've been eagerly waiting for the lens for a long while, and this has even surpassed my expectations!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Nice update, I'm very excited to see the lens! I have to say I also agree on the changes to the soul urn filling process. I'll admit that I was putting off efforts to automate the process since there was an easier way to do the mass production.

Still, I'm looking forward to making the leap.
eragaxshim

Post by eragaxshim »

Thanks! Great update, I will try this out as soon as possible.
Just Build, Not Survive.