So... Notch is funding Psychonauts 2...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
RaustBlackDragon

So... Notch is funding Psychonauts 2...

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

http://www.geekosystem.com/notch-offers ... honauts-2/

Well, I'M excited about it.

I noticed that in the few days since this has hit the news, not one off-topic thread has been made about this surprising development. Has nobody else heard about it, or does nobody else care?

Honestly, I feel the first psychonauts was, gameplaywise, quite mediocre, but this was more than made up for by its amazing humor and capacity to tell a story. There was so much dialogue, most of which you wouldn't even hear if you were just focusing on the main objectives. The game was brilliant, and if the sequel is anything like the original, it'll be amazing.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Shengji

Re: So... Notch is funding Psychonauts 2...

Post by Shengji »

I didn't ever play the first game, so I have no strong feelings about a sequel - the fuss surrounding this tells me that the first was probably a good game but I'm personally more interested in the news that Tim Schafer is interested in setting up a kickstarter for Planescape 2 to be honest!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

Er, Tim Schafer has nothing to do with Planescape: Torment. That's Chris Avellone. It was Tim Schafer's kickstarter for a point and click adventure game that has Chris Avellone considering doing one for a Planescape sequel.

Also, Notch funding Psychonauts 2 hasn't panned out, at least for now. He's still expressing interest, but it is apparently temporarily off the table. I think Tim Schafer is wanting to see how far they can go with the kickstarter before relying on Mojang's backing.

Pyschonauts is one of my favorite platformers. The gameplay is unique enough that it doesn't feel stale and the humor and depth of the game is delightful. I did not expect so many sub-plots with the characters when I first played it so long ago, especially not on a platformer.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sorry, misread the article - not all that bothered to try to remember names of people I don't know and have never met - well whoever is interested in doing another planescape torment has my support and my pennies for a kickstart!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I read about this a few days ago but have just been waiting to see what comes of it. Really, I'm just trying to maintain excitement levels and keep them from causing a meltdown. Loved the first Psychonauts and occasionally play it still. I hope this game is built one way or another for sure.

I'm also waiting on another Beyond Good and Evil and an Oddworld game.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

orangeweaver wrote:and an Oddworld game.
God, I'd love soooo much a new Oddworld game. The two firsts one were so awesome, I spent hundreds of hours playing them over and over again :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Battosay wrote:
God, I'd love soooo much a new Oddworld game. The two firsts one were so awesome, I spent hundreds of hours playing them over and over again :)
Hello!
Hi!
Follow me!
Okay!
I got stuck in the first one about 3/4 of the way through, then got lost, then forgot the controls. The problem with these games is you sometimes hit a plateau in your skill level, so completion becomes impossible.
There were supposed to be 3 in the series weren't there, plus the 1/2 series ones in between. Abe's Oddyssey, (that other guy's Oddyssey), Abe's Exodus...guess they didn't sell as well as hoped in the later games?

Adventure games were my favourite genre for a long time, still have a whole stack of them in the cupboard, so looking forward to what this project produces.

Also I only played psychonauts for about 10 minutes at a friends house, but it seemed quite fun. Maybe I should pick it up one of these days, and add it to the pile of games I have yet to get around to playing.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Battosay wrote:
I'd love a new oddworld. I love the whole atmosphere of those games.