Something that is a threat...maybe

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
origsgtpepper

Something that is a threat...maybe

Post by origsgtpepper »

First off, feel free to lock this thread if I have broken a rule. (I don't think I have; but there is always a chance)

I would like to have a mob that is actually a threat to me (as it is right now I have so many defences and an absurd amount of resources that nothing is a threat anymore)

But it would have a very small chance of spawning like 1/100, 1/300, or maybe 1/500.

Also I think it shouldn't despawn so that you are forced to deal with it. (maybe give it a chance to despawn when the player dies so that it can't spawn camp?)

Also it should be able to break blocks (yes i know this most hated suggestion) but only leaves and maybe wood, although many people like to build with wood so...)

Might be tameable or it might not I will leave it up to you to decide. But if it is then it should be very difficult to tame (I am thinking somewere on the difficulty of having to give it like 5-20 diamond blocks (I am just using diamond blocks as an example))

I want something that when I stand on my 7-10 block high wall it is looking me in the eye. And when I am out in the open I am constantly watching for it, even though I have full soul steel armor with level 4 protection enchantments.

Because as it is now I laugh at creepers even on hard (A full explosion at point blank range doesn't even take off half a heart)

And I have no idea what kind of creature this should be, so you get to choose if you decide to use this.
Last edited by origsgtpepper on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
Mason11987

Re: Something that is a threat...maybe

Post by Mason11987 »

While I certainly think the lack of real threat in minecraft is a problem, I don't think BTW should be solving that problem. Everything in BTW is surrounding automation and constructing interesting things, there is very little focusing on combat which isn't all that enjoyable in vMC right now to be honest. It would be interesting to see what FC would do if he were to make a totally original mob, but I think something of this scale would require more then just a mob, it would require a complete rewrite and expansion of combat.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

there is one part of me that says bring it on a new threat hell yes. Then the other more rational part kicks in.Dose BTW add any mobs..no . dose BTW make the over world or nether a more dangerous place to be..no. that kinda means that a 20 block hight oger that smashed blocks apart with a mace is kinda ruled out. I like the idea but it is just not something I could see FC going for for this mod. I do fully agree that after you are at steel combat is more like grinding than the Russian roulette it is at the start.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Part of the problem comes when on your first night, one of these super monsters shows up and wrecks your face. and you have no way to stop it because you aren't coated in diamond armor of +12 awesome. Its very difficult to balance something like this, making it fun for the late game player, and not a headache for the new player. Anything that Actually poses a Threat to you has to be able to break block or get around your defenses.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

I never said it could smash anything that would be way to overpowered. Its just that forests are everywhere and once you get behind a tree you would be safe.

@ Nexus I guess you didn't see the 1/500 spawn chance.

However this is useless because I realized that this breaks the "Maximun use with minimal effort to code" rule.

So feel free to lock whenever you want.

Edit: That rule might have been from the old minecraft forum, but it probably still applies.
Last edited by origsgtpepper on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Nexus Trimean wrote:Part of the problem comes when on your first night, one of these super monsters shows up and wrecks your face. and you have no way to stop it because you aren't coated in diamond armor of +12 awesome. Its very difficult to balance something like this, making it fun for the late game player, and not a headache for the new player. Anything that Actually poses a Threat to you has to be able to break block or get around your defenses.
the simplest way to balance it would to make it only occur after you have crafted steel for the first time. or at some other significant event. thinking about it more makes me think that waking around waring the tormented souls in your Armour might be some kind of attractant for the beast.

@origsgtpepper the AI alone for this would be an epic project by its self.
and I kinda meant that to move it would need to clear a path by smashing trees not that it would destroy defenses directly just badly worded on my part.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

True the ai would be complicated......

How about this....lets say it was a flying mob and maybe it drops rocks or shoots spines at you?

That would take care of the breaking blocks issue and the ender dragon ai could be used (well atleast the flying in circles part).

Edit: Also I have experiance in visual basic, C++, and XHTML; but I have never even seen java code so....
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

origsgtpepper wrote:True the ai would be complicated......

How about this....lets say it was a flying mob and maybe it drops rocks or shoots spines at you?

That would take care of the breaking blocks issue and the ender dragon ai could be used (well atleast the flying in circles part).

Edit: Also I have experiance in visual basic, C++, and XHTML; but I have never even seen java code so....
This it total out of left field so you were warned.

how about a blimp that fly's slowly over players position.If it looses sight of the player it circles around last known position and has a crew of skeletons firing arrows down at the player. also it might fly low and drop creepers over the fence every now and then. but for that to happen the enemy would need some kinda work shop/ base of operations. this would all make a great mod by its self And if compatible with BTW would add a hole new dynamic to combat.

@origsgtpepper are you thinking about making your own mod?
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

Not anytime soon...I was just trying to say that I have some experience with code so feel free to get technical.

And that really was out of left field.

Also the mob doesn't have to be hostile. It could be set up so that it's drop is a valuable item or maybe something needed to progress past a certain point. (Like how you need ender eyes to get to the end.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, as I've mentioned before, I do have some plans for the inclusion of mobs in BTW at some point. I don't really view the mod as being focused on one specific thing, as much as I view it as somewhat of an expansion to the vMC experience. As such, I really tackle whatever aspects of the game I feel are most lacking at any given time. Up until now, that has largely been the technical side of things, given how little time Mojang seems to spend on that aspect, but I can also see that not always being the case.

I personally think that mobs should act as an incentive to build. It's doubtful I would ever work on mobs that would be combat focused, boss creatures, general fluff, or whatever. Rather, I'd be much more inclined to create mobs that force the player to think about defensive structures.

It's a bit premature for suggestions for mobs though. It's the kind of thing I'm taking a long time to ponder before doing any implementation, and I generally like to do such thinking in isolation.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

I think de-nerfing fire would be a great threat to people inexperienced with the game. If i set a friggin' forest on fire or a wooden house i expect the place to burn down, not 2 or three trees or leave me with a jigsaw of a shelter.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

I will look forward to the mobs whenever you decide to include them.

All I want is something that cant be stopped with a 4 block high wall and a small overhang.

Also the main reason I posted this is that the mods who focus on mobs have so many new creatures in them. It gets to teh point that the creator just starts adding creatures that have no purpose.

Also Muggsbud; where the heck did that come from? I dont think we even mentioned fire.
Last edited by origsgtpepper on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

This mob would be very dangerous in the nether. With the giant larva seas and no really place to hide, it would be very "fun" to run away from this mob.

In the Overworld it would focus me to live in a tunnel system, where the creature is to big to enter.

Is the Mob supposed to be big, or small?

Edit: We should be able to disable it from spawning, like the hardcore bucket mode we can switch on/off.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

FlowerChild wrote:Rather, I'd be much more inclined to create mobs that force the player to think about defensive structures.
I understand not adding such a thing for now, but I have to say that is exactly what I want the most in Minecraft. All the potential for traps that vanilla Minecraft already has and the even greater potential that BtW adds is wasted at the moment. Which is why I personally am glad they're finally working on AI. Zombies opening doors (as long as it takes enough time for newbies to prepare to deal with them accordingly) and all of them getting better pathfinding would really delight me.
But if you come up with other ideas on threats, I'll wait patiently to see them.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

SilvasRuin wrote:I understand not adding such a thing for now, but I have to say that is exactly what I want the most in Minecraft. All the potential for traps that vanilla Minecraft already has and the even greater potential that BtW adds is wasted at the moment. Which is why I personally am glad they're finally working on AI. Zombies opening doors (as long as it takes enough time for newbies to prepare to deal with them accordingly) and all of them getting better pathfinding would really delight me.
But if you come up with other ideas on threats, I'll wait patiently to see them.
This is what i was trying to say with my last post but I was in a hurry.

I built the a wall around my base about 9 monthes ago (I really cant remember it has been so long since then) and apart from making it look good I have never needed to upgrade it. However I got bored one night and decided to run a loop of redstone wire along the inside of it so that when I close any door it will close all the entrances. (I think there are 7 sets of doors and a gate made of pullies and platforms and they are spread out over a large area)

Because it uses a loop of redstone the doors stay closed even if you turn off the lever and the only way to reopen them is inside my main base were the wire is exposed. (You have to break the wire and wait for the charge to drain before the doors will open)

But I have never activated it out of need (although I did manage to lock myself out one time)
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

@origsgtpepper: it came from left field.
I just don't like how notch nerfed the one true 'threat' that could come from the players carelessness.

on topic: i think escalation would be a nice way to up the anti when it comes to existing mobs. Using their existing AI until layers kill x ammount, them making them use the new ai and upping the spawn rate. then on nite y moving up to an even better AI to zombies that threatens to come through weak a certain ammount of wood blocks. (they might break down one wood block thick walls to come after you.
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

Mo'Creatures mod works with BTW. has Ogres (big mobs that break stuff), Werewolves (can only be killed with gold weapons), Pirranas, gators, "Dire"-Wolves, Big-Cats.... Wights (flying ghostly mob) and lots of other mobs that add to Minecraft (ducks, goats, horses, turtles, jellyfish..... etc)

link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/817 ... stingrays/
Life sucks, get a cat!
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

I'll just quote what FC said in another thread:
FlowerChild wrote:2 things:

-You just necroed this thread.

-You just broke the following sub-forum rule:
FlowerChild wrote: Just a quick note: Please try to refrain from responding to suggestions with "use this other mod". Keep in mind that BTW is designed as a stand-alone mod, and especially with the move away from the Forge, continued compatibility may not be guaranteed.

If a player has a genuine desire to do something that is not possible with the mod, and it is a reasonable one, it should be discussed whether that capability already exists in another mod or not.
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

i was simply stating something that hadn't been suggested yet. and by god. you can tame little kitty cats and give them litter boxes and beds with food dishes and they'll play with a yarn ball. ^^ if that isnt "Better Than Wolves".... then what is? lol. and it would also give FC ideas on what can be done and what has already been done, at least in the animal/mob side.
Life sucks, get a cat!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Darken5 wrote:i was simply stating something that hadn't been suggested yet. and by god. you can tame little kitty cats and give them litter boxes and beds with food dishes and they'll play with a yarn ball. ^^ if that isnt "Better Than Wolves".... then what is? lol. and it would also give FC ideas on what can be done and what has already been done, at least in the animal/mob side.
He's absolutely right man. Please don't necro threads or suggest the usage of other mods, and please read the rules for this subforum before posting further in this section.

Thread locked.