Forge - question for FC

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Horizon

Re: Forge - question for FC

Post by Horizon »

Leaves. Definitely leaves.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I remember many a technological race between the Millenaire civilizations and myself with BTW. Of course I always won. I loved using the two mods together, but as the Millenaire villages upgraded, sometimes the BTW 'attachments' (windmills, water wheels, etc) that I added onto their buildings purely for aesthetic purposes got updated away.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

If Steve is the leader, and NPCs the followers, I shudder to think what will happen when they start Soulforging
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I know one thing I'd love to see with a mod like Millenaire is support for stuff like villagers building Wind Mills after you teach them how to do so (say by giving them a Wind Mill to begin with).

This would leave technological development in Steve's hands, but those developments would then be reflected in the world around him which would evolve along with him.

It's a long-term idea I've been tossing around for the vanilla NPC's if Mojang ever does anything interesting with them ;)
Interesting idea. I had thoughts in a somewhat similar vein, with the quests eventually leading the villagers to "adapt" to the Minecraft world and start using potions and enchantments. I haven't done anything yet with it though.
Kinniken

Post by Kinniken »

DaveYanakov wrote:The concept of dragging a civilization kicking and screaming into a more industrial age has great appeal for me. I've played around with it before but it does add a lot of processor cycles. I basically had to choose between it and translucent leaves.
When was that though? Lag was improved a lot by updates in December. It's still CPU-intensive, but nothing like it used to be.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It was a good ways back, probably around the time you added a second civilization. I'll have to give it another shot in the near future.
Better is the enemy of Good
excius

Post by excius »

I have to say i loved your mod, but when i got more into BTW i didnt get to spend enough time in to it anymore.
The idea of the villages evolving around BTW sounds awesome actually, i would sure support this.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Wow, nice to see Kinniken popping in here.

Actually, I believe Millenaire was the very first Mod I really got invested in. Even created a wikia account but only added one page for the merchant when it was introduced. After a bit of a playing break I discovered BtW through the dreaded Yogscast. Never really went back since then. Still I'm not playing that much MC in any way for a lack of time currently.

What I'm getting at here: It would be really interesting to see some interaction between Millenaire and BtW. I really enjoyed the purpose of advancing villages and loved the custom building option. It is so satisfying having the villagers build your own designs. Should play right into FC's mindset of doing things. "Yeah, build that castle, build it good." ;)
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

I discovered Better Than Wolves through the Yogscast as well, but their demonstration was so unflattering that I assumed it was just another ridiculous progression mod like Industrial Craft. Their emphasis on the concrete without any explanation of how far you had to progress to produce it and what it's actual practical purpose was did BtW no justice. Lewis' juxtaposition of Better Than Wolves to the other more ridiculous mods didn't help curb my bias either. I'm so glad I took another look at this mod finally. Most of it just feels right (I don't totally agree with the Nether additions, but my gripes are for the most part minor), and I'm now salivating over the eventual possibility of either combining mods or making an add-on of my own (veeery long-term there) that frankensteins stuff like TerraFirmaCraft and the Invasion mod into BtW for Dwarf Fortress-ish goodness. The engineering is there. Now it needs more workshops akin to the kiln and more threats from monsters. A reason to build traps and defenses.

It's unfortunate that BtW and TFC are so incompatible. :( It will make my eventual dream take even longer to achieve.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Well to be fair when YogCast did their review half a year ago cement was much easier to produce (I think it was smply a bucket, soulsand, and gravel in a crafting grid).
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Well, to be fair, the 2 main guys from the Yogcast are stupid assholes :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Battosay wrote:Well, to be fair, the 2 main guys from the Yogcast are stupid assholes :)
I would have said that if you didn't beat me to it ;)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Well, to be fair, the two main guys from the Yogscast did get their start doing WoW videos... You expect quality gaming from people with that kind of taste?
And back to the point, about Forge: is it true that part of the reason FC dropped it was to force Kakermix to take BTW out of Technic? Of course, the only intent was to be able to start migrating away from Forge to be ready for the API, and it was never part of the plan, but it was a nice side effect.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

SgtChuckle wrote: And back to the point, about Forge: is it true that part of the reason FC dropped it was to force Kakermix to take BTW out of Technic? Of course, the only intent was to be able to start migrating away from Forge to be ready for the API, and it was never part of the plan, but it was a nice side effect.
Quite a necro you did here, just to throw in some (completely false) assumptions /questions that have been covered in a lenghty interview with FC done and uploaded by Battosay.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

SgtChuckle wrote:And back to the point, about Forge: is it true that part of the reason FC dropped it was to force Kakermix to take BTW out of Technic?
FlowerChild's reasons for leaving thr forge had nothing to do with the Technic pack. They're spelled out and explained rather clearly in epiepisode 05 of Battosay's Let's Play series on youtube. (I can't link to it at the moment as I am on mobile - just search for Battosay52 on youtube.)

Also, just as a side note: Welcome to the BTW forums, SgtChuckle, but please do be careful about nero'ing threads. We're a rather active posting community, so even a break of a few days could be called a necro, let alone a break of a few weeks, and it seems to be a pet peeve here. There's a good thread called something like "How long is too long?" In the off-topic section that has some good guidelines.

Edit: Ninja'd by Whisp with the video!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Actually, I remember FC mentioning somewhere that getting out of Technic by means of leaving the Forge is a nice side-effect.

Not the primary concern though, no.
Sirbab

Post by Sirbab »

Oh lord, if BTW and Mil could be integrated..... (shudders with pure joy) my villagers would have factories mass producing materials to make metropolitan cities. how cool would that be?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys, there thread got necroed by someone that's already been temp-banned for going on a necro rampage last night. You're just building off of that.

Thread locked.