Scary Portal (make Nether portal more dangerous)

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
johnt

Re: Scary Portal (make Nether portal more dangerous)

Post by johnt »

Here's an idea:

Endermen should be much harder to deal with, and should be much more annoying to deal with in terms of the blocks they take, but they shouldn't appear at all until the portal is created, and the portal should constantly spawn endermen 'nests' within a certain radius, where the endermen take the blocks they steal. Clearing out a nest temporarily stops the ender incursions, but the only way to really stop it is to find the stronghold (which should be full of endermen spawners) and go to The End and kill the dragon.

If this was the case, then 'endermen proofing' your settlements (Say for example, they won't come within x number of blocks of iron bricks) would be a key step to take to prevent damage from building the portal, and the endermen annoyingness will encourage you to actually go and find the stronghold, something that there is very little reason to do in the current game.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

why not just have the odd burning snow ball fly out of the portal. makes it more dangerous and doesn't mess with balance.or the odd burning sock ;) they have to be somewhere. Making a portal a bad place to be seams a rationale idea in my book 2c
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote: I know that this conflicts with the change of Pigmen only spawning on netherack and nether bricks
I thought they spawned on everything as long as it's a solid block & in the nether?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

It was a change FC was (maybe??)( going to put in because if the fuckers spawning all over the place in the nether and interfering with minecart systems etc. not vanilla.
And HOW!
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:It was a change FC was (maybe??)( going to put in because if the fuckers spawning all over the place in the nether and interfering with minecart systems etc. not vanilla.
Correct. Take a look at the "Bloody Pigmen Sex" thread in the suggestions sub-forum. It's still on the front page, but I'm too lazy to link it. It'll explain everything on that in the thread.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

yeah, thats where I got it from, I will take another look at it.
And HOW!
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Right, i read the related topic, excellent :p

Maybe the easiest solution is to currently deny the ability to sleep in a radius around the portal.

A more ambitious approach could entail;
What would be kinda funny is if you bred animals too close to the portal their offspring were twisted somehow (zombified is the most logical albeit this would reduce the use of zombies for their sweetly rotten meat) due to "nether poisoning".

These two options combined would create a situation where the player is forced to build his portal away from his normal home (with bed & normal breeding pens) and offers him the possibility of creating a "twisted creature" factory for whatever purpose FC assigns to the "twisted creature" (something like being a component in brewing/teching)

In short it would require little actual coding, relate to the nether, fulfil FC's desire to add a mob to the mod, builds upon what the player has learned and perverts an existing facet of the game (again including animals)... I honestly can't see how he won't like this :p
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Of course it would fit, but...
Note number 310:

-Please don't suggest ideas that involve blocks that affect mob behavior, specifically if they do so at a distance. These are generally not technically feasible.

You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

itamarcu wrote:Of course it would fit, but...
Note number 310:

-Please don't suggest ideas that involve blocks that affect mob behavior, specifically if they do so at a distance. These are generally not technically feasible.
I don't think this applies. Something like this would be much easier, I think. Just change the babies to check just as they are born if there is a portal in the vicinity, and then there would be a chance of turning them into a different mob. Simple and not CPU consuming, as it would be a simple check done one time only.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Hmmm...I think that would work, actually.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:I suppose your lips are sealed on the subject of the mob spawner effect on the nether side of the portal? ;)
Er, I think he responded to that rather directly:
FlowerChild wrote:As has been surmised, I'm not keen on nerfing the nether by making its resources available in the overworld. If anything, I'm moving in the opposite direction.

Unless you meant spawning hostile zombie pigmen idea, but your wording makes me think otherwise.
origsgtpepper

Post by origsgtpepper »

If the red moon thing is ever implimented (I really cant remember where I saw this, or even if it was mojang that said it was a possible feature) you could make the nether portal spawn masses of magma cubes and blazes (now that fire has been nerfed, they won't destroy everything).

If the idea isn't put into the game. The spawn could be implimented for the current moor cycle; say, some mobs spawn every new or full moon.

But I believe that would be enough of a reason to not sleep in the same roon as the portal.

Edit: I currently have my portal underground in the middle of my base and the most dangerous thing that has happened was a creeped spawned inside the wall were I had to make the redstone wire move up a level for the iron doors. (Drove me absolutely insane trying to find were the sound was coming from)
My first world is from the free to play weekend on sept 18 2010 and I still play it everyday.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

I like the idea that the nether portal convert blocks, but not in netherblocks. What if they convert normal blocks ins something like gravel or better something more useless, like that the netherportal ruins blocks nearby. Or that ocassionaly burns something that is near the portal.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Donzaffi wrote:I like the idea that the nether portal convert blocks, but not in netherblocks. What if they convert normal blocks ins something like gravel or better something more useless, like that the netherportal ruins blocks nearby. Or that ocassionaly burns something that is near the portal.
Necro is bad.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

User warned, thread locked.