Bloody pigmen sex

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Battosay

Bloody pigmen sex

Post by Battosay »

Not sure if this is a bug report or a suggestion, but is there any chance to prevent monsters (see : zombie pigmen) to spawn on a blood sappling planted on soul sand ?

My blood wood farm is just under my pigmen farm, and they keep spawning on top of the sapplings, jamming the detectors (since it's automated, obviously.)

And yeah, non-explicit title ftw :)
Sue me :)
orangeweaver

Re: Bloody pigmen sex

Post by orangeweaver »

I came into this thread expecting something very very different.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Huh. Interesting. It's more of a suggestion, so I'll move it over to that sub-forum, but I'll put some thought into it.

Problem is that there's really no way to effectively stop pigmen from spawning. It's a vMC issue, but with the increased focus on the nether, definitely something I should consider.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Huh. Interesting. It's more of a suggestion, so I'll move it over to that sub-forum, but I'll put some thought into it.

Problem is that there's really no way to effectively stop pigmen from spawning. It's a vMC issue, but with the increased focus on the nether, definitely something I should consider.
Starting to sound like you are having an increased look at the nether?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

orangeweaver wrote:Starting to sound like you are having an increased look at the nether?
Actually, FC has focused on the nether from the very start of BTW.

Hibachis make use of netherrack and soulsand. Steel requires those same materials. Blood saplings are only harvestable in the nether too.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
orangeweaver wrote:Starting to sound like you are having an increased look at the nether?
Actually, FC has focused on the nether from the very start of BTW.

Hibachis make use of netherrack and soulsand. Steel requires those same materials. Blood saplings are only harvestable in the nether too.
Yeah, I'm pretty new to BTW. I am tend to only go to the nether for nerherrack and soulsand but haven't really started anything w/ blood saplings. Either way, my time in the nether feel very centered on gathering very specific materials early and going back to the overworld where my world is really stationed at.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

All right, so after thinking this one over, I've decided to change the spawning conditions for zombie pig-men so that they can only spawn on netherrack or nether-brick.

It's always annoyed me that there was no way to stop these fuckers from spawning, as aside from the problems Battosay mentioned, they have an annoying habit of spawning on my nether rail-lines and stopping minecarts dead.

This is in sharp contrast to overworld mobs that can always be stopped from spawning in one way or another, such as light-levels for hostile, or by not having grass for passive.

Anyways, is changed for next release. Just wanted to give folks a head's up so that they can start laying out their bases for it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

P.S. I'll also make a config-file setting to disable this change in the off-chance someone's already constructed a zombie-pigmen trap made out of other materials.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh yeah, I should also take a look at the spawning code for those magma slimes. I'm not sure if their spawning behavior is also similarly wide-open.

Ghasts already have their spawning limited by space, so it should already be possible to construct around them.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

:O

Awesome !
Them spawning on my railway always pissed me off to actually, so that's an amazing news !
And it will be way easier to force them to spawn in our traps :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:...

:O

Awesome !
Them spawning on my railway always pissed me off to actually, so that's an amazing news !
And it will be way easier to force them to spawn in our traps :)
Hehe...glad you like it. I wish there was a similar method to stop regular slimes from spawning as well in all honesty, but unlike the nether-based creatures, I can't think of a similarly clean way to do it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Agreed, I liked when they would only spawn bellow y:16
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm, I like this.

It's a much easier method of managing pigman spawns than, say, digging out a 200x200 square of the nether and covering all but the actual mob trap with lava. Now we just need cement ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, change is in for both pig-men and magma-cubes (their spawning wasn't limited either), along with a config file setting.

I'm surprised I didn't think of this before actually. I can't count the number of times I've been pissed off by pig-men on my tracks and it never occurred to me to do something about it. It seems that sometimes I forget I'm a modder :)

Now to lay down a proper cobblestone foundation on my entire network to stop that from ever happening again ;)
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

If this happens, im going to have to find something else to do with all those half slabs i made....ah well.
But what about pigmen spawning on gravel as well? Theres a lot of that in the nether.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, change is in for both pig-men and magma-cubes (their spawning wasn't limited either), along with a config file setting.

I'm surprised I didn't think of this before actually. I can't count the number of times I've been pissed off by pig-men on my tracks and it never occurred to me to do something about it. It seems that sometimes I forget I'm a modder :)

Now to lay down a proper cobblestone foundation on my entire network to stop that from ever happening again ;)
or you could have had the carts momentum kick the Fers off your line ;)
But concrete just gained a new use " wanders off to collect more "
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Oh wow. I would never dream of requesting such a big vMC behaviour change, even if it makes things so much better for the nether! Mob traps did have a couple of workarounds, but for minecart tracks the only solution was placing non solid blocks above the tracks so no pigman could spawn or walk onto the tracks but the player wouldn't take damage at the same time. Which was way too stupid, impractical, ugly looking etc etc.

Definitely a fan of this change.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

One slight-related thing to note guys. At one point, a bug in the code I wrote to do this prevented all pigmen from spawning. What wound up happening is that the nether was completely overrun by Ghasts instead.

So, one thing to keep in mind when building pig-men traps or otherwise limiting their spawning, be very careful you don't wind up with a major Ghast problem if you don't leave pig-men enough of an area to spawn in.
MoRmEnGiL wrote:Oh wow. I would never dream of requesting such a big vMC behaviour change, even if it makes things so much better for the nether! Mob traps did have a couple of workarounds, but for minecart tracks the only solution was placing non solid blocks above the tracks so no pigman could spawn or walk onto the tracks but the player wouldn't take damage at the same time. Which was way too stupid, impractical, ugly looking etc etc.

Definitely a fan of this change.
Well, I don't mind modifying vanilla behavior when it makes something possible that wasn't before.

Frankly, I think this change needs to be in vanilla. If anyone has a line to Jeb, I'd definitely suggest it as the pigmen spawning rules really need something like this to avoid interfering with player construction. Really, this is a vanilla issue that just happens to be highlighted since I've started adding more content to the nether.
Blueblade11 wrote:If this happens, im going to have to find something else to do with all those half slabs i made....ah well.
But what about pigmen spawning on gravel as well? Theres a lot of that in the nether.
Wtf? I thought I revoked your ability to post to this sub-forum. I need to check the settings for that.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

FlowerChild wrote: Wtf? I thought I revoked your ability to post to this sub-forum. I need to check the settings for that.
I thought it meant i couldnt post topics for suggestions. :/

EDIT: And i can still post topics...if i wanted to. Go figure.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

There was a time when my tweets did reach Jeb, but alas that time has been long since gone..

I agree that it is completely out of hand with those pigmen in the nether, and that something has to be done in vMC, but you taking matters in your own hands is the next best thing.

As for the ghast problem, somehow I've noticed that after protracted stays in the nether, you are prone to get a ghast infestation, it might be just me, but the longer I am over there, the more ghasts I see around.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:As for the ghast problem, somehow I've noticed that after protracted stays in the nether, you are prone to get a ghast infestation, it might be just me, but the longer I am over there, the more ghasts I see around.
I remember hearing someone say on a Youtube video (probably was Etho) that the pigmen will despawn but the ghasts don't. No idea if that's true or not, but there's a possible reason why.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire