New Release! (BTW V3.491)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.491)

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: It would suck, because of the tide of WHY IT NO WORK once people realise they can't build their lava pipe laser cannon anymore or w/e. Though FC, small way around that would be to make it so steve can still get lava out of BC's storage tanks. That way lava's actually in the tech tree :3
Actually, I think that may still be the case. No way to test it at present, but I believe the code for collecting lava from tanks may be completely separate from that I modified to prevent it being collected from within the world.

I'll test it out later today once I start working on the BTB port to 1.0, but I think that basically solves the problem. You are indeed Mr. Observant these days :)
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Thank you.
xbitx

Post by xbitx »

Hard Core Buckets mode is making me more interested everytime I see it. Once BtB is updated as well, I think I may start using it.

I've been hesitant because I wanted to create my automated farms with vanilla water source blocks considering the pumps actually depleted water. Now that SpaceToad has added that hook, and BtB will be updating to 1.1 soon (and hopefully includes the use of that hook) I may switch over and use it from now on, but keeping what I already have done.

Though who knows, maybe I'll get tired of the aesthetically pleasing designs I've been doing and just run pipes EVERYWHERE, in and out of buildings and through the windows I've created, in order to make the flows work the way they do now.

I'm actually currently in the works of an Oil refinery, so maybe I'll hook up a water holding area as well just to be ready. Then again I'm going to also need to make a power farm to run the refinery as well.

So many things to do... glad I can work on my automated cow/pig/sheep farms as well. So atleast I'll never be bored, hahaha. Enjoying BtW and BtB as usual, thanks again for your hard work.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Now all we have to do is wait for mojang to rush out a 1.2 release with loads of lava-buckets being used in recipes >.<

But still...I have a whole weekend free starting tomorrow. No work, no responsibility, no money. I might finally be able to sit down and play minecraft again ^.^ great timing as ever FC :D

and now for a mild off-topic:
Spoiler
Show
Now this has been updated, I've been checking out a couple of seeds for what will be my dedicated BTW/BTB playthrough. And...

why are my beaches arcing up onto land and back down again?
why are there giant-freaking mountains in the very middle of every desert I find?
why are there snow biomes everywhere?

I think I might go with my back-up plan of building in the middle of an ocean :|
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

xbitx wrote:Hard Core Buckets mode is making me more interested everytime I see it. Once BtB is updated as well, I think I may start using it.
I've used it a bit, and it's definitely fun to think this way... At first. The main issue now is that no matter what tech level I'm at, I'm still being limited by my water supply. My bases are usually tightly built, underground facilities, so properly utilizing waterflow became a pretty big pain. I'm waiting for a flow-control type of block before I enable HCB on my worlds regularly.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

BinoAl wrote:
xbitx wrote:Hard Core Buckets mode is making me more interested everytime I see it. Once BtB is updated as well, I think I may start using it.
I've used it a bit, and it's definitely fun to think this way... At first. The main issue now is that no matter what tech level I'm at, I'm still being limited by my water supply. My bases are usually tightly built, underground facilities, so properly utilizing waterflow became a pretty big pain. I'm waiting for a flow-control type of block before I enable HCB on my worlds regularly.
Well, with the pump and BTB, you can do that, right?
IGN: Camerinthus
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Camerinthus wrote: Well, with the pump and BTB, you can do that, right?
Nah. I'm a self-righteous BTW purist. :3
xbitx

Post by xbitx »

BinoAl wrote:
Camerinthus wrote: Well, with the pump and BTB, you can do that, right?
Nah. I'm a self-righteous BTW purist. :3
I was this way as well, though back in the day I always installed BC with BTW to use Diamond pipes (can't wait to see how FC implements them into BTB, if at all, I'm actually trying to figure out a way to get seeds into my BD's for my wheat farm...) so I kind of got used to BC and was over joyed by BTB.

So just like you, I'm actually keeping HCB off for now. Working only with Wooden Engines and ... Stone Engines now? I think that's what they're called, maybe they're called Steam. I need them so that I can make conductive pipe in order to power my refinery (and I REFUSE to use any other type of engine because they'll blow up, thus I stay away from quaries and such right now). I figure if I work this way, I can get a supply of oil, and thus fuel, before I work my way to the bigger engines. Then, by that time as well, lakes won't dry up, and I'll be able to cool the bigger engines properly. This also relies on me having a tree farm built soon in order to get charcoal for use with the steam engines. Which requires me to finish my animal farm so I have a steady supply of leather to make the engines.

I love how transitional BTB makes everything. This is why I downloaded it as soon as I saw it. I knew I'd be enjoying it. And now that I'm finally into the BC Tree a bit, I'm being driven insane with all the requirements lol
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I was this way as well, though back in the day I always installed BC with BTW to use Diamond pipes (can't wait to see how FC implements them into BTB, if at all, I'm actually trying to figure out a way to get seeds into my BD's for my wheat farm...) so I kind of got used to BC and was over joyed by BTB.

Isn't that just using hoppers with different filters?
IGN: Camerinthus
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

I really like this change for lava buckets. In the HCB mode. I preferred it when the furnace would eat the bucket as well as the lava. Since then I had a choice between losing three iron and getting massive amounts of things smelted or keeping my bucket and using other fuels.

Thanks for continuing to make BTW and now BTB more enjoyable. and challenging.
xbitx

Post by xbitx »

Camerinthus wrote:

Isn't that just using hoppers with different filters?
The way I used BC with BTW previously was that I used the hopper to collect everything, and previous to BTB I would use the pipes themselves to filter everything from the hopper. The hopper was just the storage area basically.

Obviously, there's ways of doing sorting with BTW, but I'm curious to see if FC completely throws the diamond pipes out or tries to implement them in some higher-tier way. With the way my wheat farm is now, two hoppers are at the end of a water conveyor (one on each side, thus two hoppers). From the hoppers underground pipes powered by engines move the items into a chest into the middle of the room (upstairs, where the conveyor is) for easy access. Granted I could have made a water way and such, attaching mechanical power directly to the hopper, however it's a rather small place with redstone for the farms underground, so a water way is rather hard to create in such a confined space (atleast for me), and also as far as I know, a powered hopper only drops things directly into a chest. Though I'm sure it could also be powered (rather than using an engine) and just drop it into a pipe. I wanted to do a little bit more of a resource heavy play through so I decided early on that I'd be doing things as complicated as I could, i.e: use engines even though a hopper can be powered directly. As well I wanted to give myself a run for my money and try and make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Though I'm starting to think I need to throw that one out the window lol
Cynu

Post by Cynu »

-Deleted-
Last edited by Cynu on Wed May 21, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Wow, that was fast :)
Thanks man !
And I noticed that you kept 3.5 for something big ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Wow, that was fast :)
Thanks man !
And I noticed that you kept 3.5 for something big ;)
Hehe...yeah. I'm actually considering spending the weekend on a rather major new system for BTW (maybe even music-video worthy ;) ), but either way I only ever update the first decimal place of the version number when I feel I've actually added new content that warrants it ;)
Cynu wrote:Looks like I can finally update my Minecraft. :)
For the lava buckets change, why not make it so that using lava in a furnace either breaks the furnace or doesn't do anything? I liked the ability to pick up lava in my buckets even if I couldn't do anything with them...
I can not really edit the way BC engines work with BTB, plus, I wouldn't particularly want to be modifying base-classes to prevent lava from being used as furnace fuel in vanilla either, for reasons I've explained elsewhere recently (mainly having to be careful about the nature of my base-class mods due to the upcoming mod API). I went through a number of options before deciding on this one, as in the end, transporting lava in buckets always seemed a bit "off" in MC anyways. The other options I considered always had some inconsistent aspect to the behavior that just didn't feel right. On the other hand, "I can't pick up lava because it hurts" seems rather intuitive.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: I always found it mildly objectionable to do so unless the author provided the code themselves
Assuming you're not copying their code how is looking at another mods code without permission different from looking at mojangs?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Assuming you're not copying their code how is looking at another mods code without permission different from looking at mojangs?
It's a commercial game that I've purchased, and whose authors seem open to modding. I have no idea what the feelings are of individual mod authors, and it just feels a tad rude to me to be snooping around in their code without explicit consent.

That's not a comment on what other people should or should not be doing, it's just a matter of what I'm personally comfortable with.

I've also never run into a situation where I've felt that I needed to look at someone else's code to solve a problem, and other than having taken a quick look at a couple of tutorials for stuff like "how to create a block in MC" when I first started modding have always figured out this whole thing on my own.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Hey everyone, I post a little bit on the MC Forums but realized most of my posts were really just on the BTW Thread so I thought I would move over here :).

Really love the mod and the update, currently I'm actually gutting most of my base trying to make everything more efficient as my initial builds were pretty clumsy, getting 9 hibachis running on my cauldron (errrr stewing pot) and crucible). Watching a ton of Battosay and RenEvo and those help w/ ideas on more efficient builds.

Anyway, wanted to say hi and keep up the great work. Really appreciate the fact that this mod has pushed me to building my most expansive world yet.

Also I like tequilla.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

orangeweaver wrote: - snip -
Welcome.
orangeweaver wrote: Also I like tequilla.
We'll get along just fine.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Ribky wrote: We'll get along just fine.
After reading your signature I believe we will.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

orangeweaver wrote:Also I like tequilla.
Welcome to the forums man! I'm more of a whiskey kinda guy, but I'm sure we'll overcome those differences :)
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
orangeweaver wrote:Also I like tequilla.
Welcome to the forums man! I'm more of a whiskey kinda guy, but I'm sure we'll overcome those differences :)
Whiskey would be next in line my friend. Good Scotch. Oh fuck. Nothing can beat a fine Mexican's Mexican Tequila though!

P.S. I now have so much redstone after this update I don't know what to do with it all!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Deal for you. You can take the tequila, and I will take the scotch, and FC will have the whiskey. Then we will all be happy, happy campers!
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

orangeweaver wrote:
Whiskey would be next in line my friend. Good Scotch. Oh fuck. Nothing can beat a fine Mexican's Mexican Tequila though!

P.S. I now have so much redstone after this update I don't know what to do with it all!
Mmmm... scotch.

I always manage to run out of redstone at the worst moments, so this will help a lot for me.

Morv: can we share the scotch?
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
RenEvo

Post by RenEvo »

FC, you made my life so much easier... I have hit that damn update button like 100 times already and had to revert lol.

Congrats on the new update :D
FlowerChild wrote:Version 3.49 of Better Than Wolves
-Added ability for villagers to toss the milk.
YouTube | Twitch
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Ribky wrote:Morv: can we share the scotch?
Probably. I'm a relative lightweight, and if he's got the good stuff, I'll probably try to mooch FC's whiskey, too.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.