[Suggestion] Heavy machinery - a little inspiration

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Tuv

[Suggestion] Heavy machinery - a little inspiration

Post by Tuv »

Hello.
It's not a idea, rather a suggestion where to find inspiration.

So im new to this forum, and trying to read all the important info (whats the most common idea, and what happens to people who post about it ;P).
And ...
Some ideas that are so common, they are bound to earn you scorn (and a locked thread) if you repost them:
-Diamond bladed saws.
-Ropes/Pulleys pulling Platforms sideways.
-Steam power.
-A means of generating mechanical power out of redstone.

i've noticed that suggestions go in the direction of heavy machinery.

And i don't realy know if its going to be implemented or not, but i've also noticed that
I personally don't like the idea because it makes blocks feel a lot less "heavy". I felt the same way about the piston mod and right clicking on the pistons to reorient them.
its "in the spirit" of this mod, to add some feel to blocks. Maybe to machinery too?

To the point.

Recently i wanted to play a game, that was completly different from todays productions. My choice was a game, that i played long time ago.
Transarctica
Its a wonderfull game. But there was one thing that i liked the most. My beautiful locomotive. Its very heavy. Its very powerfull. It's also very moody, and delicate. It was it that took me so many hours.
Using it is very simple. You add coal. What hapens next. Temperature rises. When it reaches 100C, pressure goes up. If you dont start to use it, boiler will blow up. If you start to use it... well its still gona blow up. You used to much coal. Temperature goes up, and you have to use it fast enough. Once you throw coal in, you cant take it out, so you have to control it. (not like in MC, where you throw a stack of coal in to the furnace and smile at the wall doing nothing). On the other hand, if you throw too little coal, the pressure will be to low, and you will have no power.

Blah blah. Unfortunately, i dont use english very often, so describing to you, the fun i had using this heavy moloch is out of my reach.
But, if you would like to add more machinery to BTW, and you want it to feel heavy, powerfull and a little intimidating ( in a fun way like "Oh man! You want me to drive this tank?"), and you don't mind a little retro game, then take a look at this one. :)
Spoiler
Show
Hope You will find it interesting.
Last edited by Tuv on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phrostbit3n

Re: [Suggestion] Heavy machinery - a little inspiration

Post by Phrostbit3n »

just wanted to point out, that's a (f'in huge) train, in case you didn't notice :)
"Someone once told me friendship is magic, that's ridiculous, you can't turn someone into a frog with friendship." - The Wizard, Terraria
"I used to __________, then I took an arrow to the knee" - Everyone on the Internet
Tuv

Post by Tuv »

It's not tricky to draw a gigantic, awsome looking train in the middle of frozen planet. (Well, it is, but thats not the point)
It's the game mechanics thats the magic. Poorly writen game mechanics can make this train drive like a little bike. Easy to handle and not interesting.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

This has been already suggested, and refused, I think, but I may not be right.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Steam power in general is one of those subjects to avoid. Also, you may want to remove the spoiler tags on the text. Having to click on those annoys a lot of people and you're not revealing plot points.

BTW is still under ongoing development. FC has plans for the future of the tech tree and will share them when the time comes. If he chooses to go with steam at some point, locomotives are just to big a thing to not include them so it's very likely he already has a plan for them.
Better is the enemy of Good
Tuv

Post by Tuv »

Sorry. I think my english is not good enough to explain what i was thinking about.

I didn't ask, to add steam engines, or locomotives. I just used them as an example.
I suggested, to keep hi-tech things with "heavy feel". Powerfull, and a bit unstable.
If it will be steamengine (i dont think so. would be weird with BTB i think), zeppelin, laser, chemistry, or a wheel, its the same.
xbitx

Post by xbitx »

Gotta say I love the artwork. It's kind of that whole "steampunk" feel.

And to be honest, when I saw BTW's mechanical power system with the windmill and water wheel? The first thing I thought in my head was "Steampunk!". I absolutely love the feel of the mechanical nature of the mod. Granted the complete tone isn't heavy machinery, but I see where Tuv is comming from. It's kind of that machinery, technology style that has great inspiration aspects to it.

That's not saying that the machinery is a feature he wants to see, nor is it that big and heavy is what he wants or even feels that FlowerChild wants. But he's kinda pointing out that the feeling of doing something, which in turn has an outcome, is what inspires greatness.

I think that's what he's getting at. Because I can see the connection. In that steampunk like world of Transartica, he has a train, but it's not just a train. It's something you feed, maintain, check and recheck, and eventually get something beautiful out of it (beautiful is relative and in the eye of the beholder). In a sense, that something is a sense of accomplishment.

Just like in this mod, you make your first windmill and it's a great accomplishment, you feel like you've done something. And then suddenly, you're branching the power from that one gearbox into fifteen different areas, powering your saws, your hoppers, your turntables. More importantly you're incorperating the mechanical power into redstone circuits with the turntables as timers, and you're just making something "work".

To me it's that steampunk nature, of having something cause something else, of having something be a necessity to advance, that he's talking about. And I whole heartedly agree. I can't tell you how many gearboxes and axles I have underground on my world, and it looks and feels like a steampunk, mechanical machine when you're in the tunnels.

Like I said, great artwork, and an interesting game. Definitely a source of inspiration.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Tuv wrote:Sorry. I think my english is not good enough to explain what i was thinking about.

I didn't ask, to add steam engines, or locomotives. I just used them as an example.
I suggested, to keep hi-tech things with "heavy feel". Powerfull, and a bit unstable.
If it will be steamengine (i dont think so. would be weird with BTB i think), zeppelin, laser, chemistry, or a wheel, its the same.
So you're saying that more powerful machinery should correspond with being larger and needing more blocks, more structure to make work?
That's pretty much one of the core philosophies of BTW, so I think we're in good hands.