vertical signal: pull rope switch

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Kezza

vertical signal: pull rope switch

Post by Kezza »

Hello

First, I want to introduce myself. I´m following the progression of this mod since April, one word: amazing. I´m checking your forums every day, to hope there are new additions or info´s.
As a mechanical engineering student, this is the best thing to play with I have ever found!
I had some ideas over the months, mainly not well thought. But I want to suggest this one:

I had one thing that was boring and bad looking for me: the vertical redstonesignal from the bottom upwards. If you have a hole and you want to build an elevator you need a redstonestair to top to signal the pulley “stop” or “change”…
My suggestion is, to implement a pull rope switch. Maybe you know that from old toilets or lamps.
Ok, how to do that? Maybe a robe you pull, but how. I thought it could be like that:
At the top a pulley, than the rope and attached to the end of the rope a haft or something else to crab. In this case, the pulley is not only an input devise, it´s a output device too. Imagine the rope is extended, now you click at the haft and the combination of the different blocks signals, that the pulley is an output and gives a signal. That would be difficult to code?! I thought it would be a multiblock devise like the kiln.

Now think what you could do.

An elevator with two of this Pull rope switches, one to change the direction and one to stop, whenever you want. You don´t need to build a redstonesignal. And because it is a pulley the rope woult follow your elevator, you could stop every time you want or change the directions immidiatly (forgot something? ...back!). You could have a big cave underground with a big hole at the top. Now you want to build an elevator, you would have to build a big (and ugly looking) redstonesignal to the top of the elevator to signal upwards.
With this device you only need the hole, unprepared. You could first build the elevator an than building the hole with minigcharges AND follow.

You could use it for other devices too. Lamp? Rope pull: On!
High Floodgate? Stylish Rope pull: Open!

I hope everyone can unterstand what i wrote. I´m german and I wish my english would be a lot better.
I could mage a sketch/layout?

Ähm and I hope there weren´t more of this suggestions before, didn´t find anything with the search function under pull rope :D
Gormador

Re: vertical signal: pull rope switch

Post by Gormador »

Ausgezeichnet !

Well, will continue in english (much better than German... use to be reverse ^^)

So I really like this idea, even though I think it's a bit too simple...
But maybe is it the simplicity of the thing that makes it very good ?

I can hear Battosay crying from here : all that work gone into a multiple level elevator ! And with this, no worries, it's as simple as a rope switch !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Usually vertical redstone transmission suggestions are not well received around here, just saying.

Your suggestion is probably the best one so far though.

Besides it's not exactly a way to make redstone go up walls, but a bit more creative.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I just want to make absolutely sure I understand you...
It basically sounds like you want a rope that could remotely trigger a button over variable vertical distances. If this is actually the case, it sounds like a nightmare to code (or I assume since vertical signals are not already implemented in some way) and the only real link to the mod is using rope to do it.

Unless I'm mistaken somewhere, I don't think this suggestion is going anywhere. Sorry.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Usually vertical redstone transmission suggestions are not well received around here, just saying.

Your suggestion is probably the best one so far though.

Besides it's not exactly a way to make redstone go up walls, but a bit more creative.
As you said, it's not vertical redstone transmission.
morvelaira wrote:I just want to make absolutely sure I understand you...
It basically sounds like you want a rope that could remotely trigger a button over variable vertical distances. If this is actually the case, it sounds like a nightmare to code (or I assume since vertical signals are not already implemented in some way) and the only real link to the mod is using rope to do it.

Unless I'm mistaken somewhere, I don't think this suggestion is going anywhere. Sorry.
Besides the fact that it might be a "nightmare to code" (and, after thinking about it, it really seems like it would, or would it ?... hum (it's likely to be "recursive friendly", to an algorithm point of view)), don't forget that event though it might use only the rope from BTW it still is a very clever idea. Idea that would make sens somewhere in Steve's btw tech tree. It might be slightly overpowered, but some items are... For exemple : I still think the BD is as a concept, but with this crafting cost it isn't anymore.

However, you might be right for this suggestion falling soon into the oblivion, but IMO it would be because this feature would take away a big part of the redstone mastery needed to achieve such a thing as a multi-floor elevator.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Gormador wrote: However, you might be right for this suggestion falling soon into the oblivion, but IMO it would be because this feature would take away a big part of the redstone mastery needed to achieve such a thing as a multi-floor elevator.
You probably hit the biggest nail on the head right there, beyond the fact it may be ovepowered as you also said. Add to that the fact that FC is a little leery of anything that touches platforms, pullies and elevators... Can't really speak for the man but I think if you could find a good use for this other than stated above that can't easily be duplicated with existing technologies then this idea would have firmer legs.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Can't really see how that this would be as good as the lens which FC planned to implement from the start. Although when we'll see that I don't know.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Heilkaiba wrote:Can't really see how that this would be as good as the lens which FC planned to implement from the start. Although when we'll see that I don't know.
Kind of irrelevant.
morvelaira wrote: You probably hit the biggest nail on the head right there,
Sorry, I'm not sure to understand what you said here. My english is kind of limited ^^
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

This is basically a limited use version of the planned lens block, so
Gormador wrote: Kind of irrelevant.
On the contrary, very relevant.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thanks for the feedback.

In my point of view its more a basic mechanic than a lens.
But you guys are right, the code would be difficult, I say that without having any plan of coding. The haft must be related to the pulley in any way.
I liked the idea because of the variable elevator and because it fitts the BTW style.
The lens would be static. I don´t know what FC thinks about dynamik devices.
In the end, its a coding question and i can´t answer this.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kezza wrote: In my point of view its more a basic mechanic than a lens.
In the nature of the device, yes, but you are still doing the same task as the lens could in that situation
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

BinoAl wrote:This is basically a limited use version of the planned lens block, so
Oh ! My bad, I just completely messed up in my head the little I know about the lens !
Sorry about that. So yes, correct my sentence and put yours instead ^^

However, I still don't understand what [strike]he[/strike] SHE meant with :
hit the biggest nail on the head
Edit : sorry for the 'he' showing himself irrelevantly ^^
Last edited by Gormador on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It's an expression of speech. It means, in this case, that you pointed out the most relevant thing.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Ok, I got it right then ^^

So to answer you previous post : I will think of that later. Another use for this "pulley lever"... hum.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Like this???
Spoiler
Show
Never say no to Panda.
Panda

Post by Panda »

If your suggesting what i drew that would be SOOOO AMAZING O.o
Never say no to Panda.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well...if I place an upwards facing piston, and place 12 blocks of sand on top. press button, sand goes up, completes a circuit, and the same result is generated..

I wish I could say this nicely, but this idea has little/no justification or unique use.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Stormweaver wrote:Well...if I place an upwards facing piston, and place 12 blocks of sand on top. press button, sand goes up, completes a circuit, and the same result is generated..

I wish I could say this nicely, but this idea has little/no justification or unique use.
Maybe, but with his suggestion, it would make an elevator stop-able anywhere want it to.
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

Stormweaver wrote:Well...if I place an upwards facing piston, and place 12 blocks of sand on top. press button, sand goes up, completes a circuit, and the same result is generated..

Oh. Oh my. I love you right now. The number of ways I can use this is gigantic, and can create a slightly more bulky but less delayed torch tower if you tier them, making them trigger another as they go.

Also, On topic, from a design point of view, how much rope can such a lever handle before the weight of the rope itself overpowers the mechanism for resetting it?

It would be nice, but I think I agree with storm. Both the pull switch and the piston would really only be operable from the bottom, and one is already in. I'm all for neat stuff, but this seems a lot like a one trick pony, and would be almost completely invalidated by the lens; and FC doesn't like obsoleting mod features from earlier in the tech tree.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:Well...if I place an upwards facing piston, and place 12 blocks of sand on top. press button, sand goes up, completes a circuit, and the same result is generated.
Holy crap. I'm going to use this SOOO much. Why have I never heard of this?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

BinoAl wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Well...if I place an upwards facing piston, and place 12 blocks of sand on top. press button, sand goes up, completes a circuit, and the same result is generated.
You can also have downward transmission using water held back by a piston and a DB at the bottom, but only if it's not for short pulses.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:
Because I've only mentioned it once before now, and said it as a joke idea for replacing torch towers in windmills pre-detector block :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
weylin

Post by weylin »

If the lenses are implemented, it would help a great deal on long range vertical transmissions.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

The very unique use would be the elevator thing, but then the people who built an complex multi level elevator would say it has no use.

But your piston/sand idea is nice, I will remind that.
darkpollopesca wrote:If your suggesting what i drew that would be SOOOO AMAZING O.o
It is exactly like that
+
with a conected mechanical energy (on/off) it could be raised and lowered.
+
it has the length of the rope you wish (but I thing that would have something to do with the coding... :D )
qrunchmonkey

Post by qrunchmonkey »

Everyone is comparing this suggestion to the lens, but I don't think it's the same idea at all.

A pull cord wouldn't allow arbitrary transmission of signals - conceptually it's more like a button or lever than redstone, and there's no mechanism in BTW or vMC that can flip a lever or push a button (at least as far as I know), So only Steve himself would be able to use a pull cord to send a signal.

Since it would be useless for automation, that sort of puts this suggestion out of of the main focus of BTW, but I do think it would be a nice aesthetic addition particularly useful for triggering piston doors, castle gates and elevators (although I'm not sure it would be balanced or even possible to allow arbitrarily long pull cords)

I don't consider the difficulty in vertical transmission of redstone signals to be one of the strengths of the redstone system the same way that building your own logic gates, flip-flops, clocks, ROMs, etc is. Seems more like a weakness or oversight in the system to me. I'm not sure what the majority opinion on that is though.