Anyone used Thaumcraft?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Anyone used Thaumcraft?

Post by BinoAl »

I was checking it out earlier, and it looks sort of interesting. Is it worth the time?
Flesh_Engine

Re: Anyone used Thaumcraft?

Post by Flesh_Engine »

I checked it out some time ago and i think the "fuel" concept is rather cool, especially since you can use anything to power it and thereby create an outlet for excess items. The fact that Cobblestone is not accepted as fuel feels like a bit out of place but you don't relly need to resort to that kinda thing.
I've found that a seperate chicken coop hooked up to a divert to either a collection point or a crucible to produce thaum to work best; it requires zero effort on your part and is rather foolproof, each chicken makes an egg on average every 7 minutes which gives you 9 thaum per egg. This kinda setup leads to a "central creation spot" that you can use to power your other things through the conduits.

I do hate that each video review about it is fascinated with the Singularity while very nicely done it is, in essence, a grenade. Get over it. I haven't tested the portable hole yet, which should be awesome. Think i'll do that tonight... or test out the 3.41 changes or maybe get my new BTW world up to snuff...sigh...

Although i have 2 Obelisks close to my spawn and in visible range of each other i haven't experimented with the conduits yet. They do seem to mark Slimechunks but i haven't yet been able to validate my theory 100% so be sure to check for yourself.

In closing; i'm a bit torn between this and the Laser Mod (which you should check out) they both end up doing about the same thing currently and each has their own mechanics yet the 'Beam' Mod interacts with redstone while the thaumcraft requires more thought in regards to building your bases.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Doesn't it require forge?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Flesh_Engine wrote: I do hate that each video review about it is fascinated with the Singularity while very nicely done it is, in essence, a grenade. Get over it.
Well yes, it is a grenade, in functionality. The thing is, Minecraft is so graphically simple that any truly striking display of visual effects tends to be mind-blowing. I've never even seen the mod before reading your post and checking out the first review I saw (ipodmail's), and I have to say, I can't think of anything that's ever convinced me of a mod's awesomeness so quickly. I'm gonna watch the rest of the review and give my opinion afterwards.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Well, that's true :) It's a pretty grenade :p

Apparently it was updated today with more stuff.
Curious about how the bore operates and if the wand can move spawners :p
The stargate thing might be pretty rad, think i'll be trying this out :)
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Just watched one of the vids, looks like a far less OP (and more interesting, if you ask me) version of Equivalent Exchange.
I might try it out if I ever decide to go all mod-crazy again. It gives "junk" items some more value (does that crucible accept seeds?), adds some of the better parts of EE (especially infusing fuels to upgrade them) and seems to fit a lot better thematically.

Not to mention it doesn't require you to wait ages to get even the most basic stuff. >.>

Thanks for sharing this. *bookmarks*
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I checked a few vids about it on the tubes and I have to say it's not my cup of tea. The only thing I liked was the obelisks providing a reason to search for a good base location.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

The great randomo wrote:Doesn't it require forge?
I think so, but I normally try mods on their own before combining mods. After all, would you have enjoyed BTW as much as you do, had you tried it with RP, BC, and EE? BTW works best as a standalone mod, and I have the feeling thaumcraft will be the same, to a lesser extent/
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Spent some time with the update; the tree is a rather good idea and suprised me the first time i encountered it.

The change to the condenser was a good move; now it produces a crystal after leeching 50 thaum from the obelisks and then poops it out, effectively letting you fuel your entire production with them.

Others i haven't really tried yet.
sahaya

Post by sahaya »

no not used
shoegun56

Post by shoegun56 »

i wish it were compatible with BTW anyways.... :/
Cheese. A green one. Yum.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

My philosophy is simple - anything that is not compatible with BTW is not worth playing. Not saying that the incompatible mods are bad or anything but it would be a waste of time if you couldn't use BTW with them.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Larmantine wrote:My philosophy is simple - anything that is not compatible with BTW is not worth playing. Not saying that the incompatible mods are bad or anything but it would be a waste of time if you couldn't use BTW with them.
Now that's going a bit far :p BTW is certainly my favorite mod, and vMC feels empty without it, but that doesn't mean that no other mods are worth trying out.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

I was personally thinking about it, then I saw the forge tag... But I'm probably going to set up a separate jar file just to try it out. It actually doesn't look TOO OP, from what I've seen.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

BinoAl wrote: Now that's going a bit far :p BTW is certainly my favorite mod, and vMC feels empty without it, but that doesn't mean that no other mods are worth trying out.
You may be right a bit, but there really ain't much conversion or additional content good mods to try out. I mean like Christmas mods. Seriously? What a waste of time. Spend the xmas time with your family/gf/bf/whatever not in minecraft. Personally I find mod's like these stupid. Also, there are so many mods coded by 13-16 year old kids, that add stupid ores, or some overpowered items/weapons/armor. Of course there are some professional ones, like EE, IC2, and BC. I tried them all out, and got bored of them and their features. I mean like, in the last EE version i've played, you literally needed only 1-2 hours to get to the endgame, just get a philosophers stone and a diamond (to exchange it for a epic tnt that blows up huge amounts of netherrack). Go to the nether blow up some netherrack with nova catalyst, exchange the netherrack for diamonds, dark matter or whatever, and your done. IC2 felt strange and unrelated to the nature of mc (being stranded and all). Same thing for BC. Redpower made making machines boring. Aether sucks IMO, becouse the vanilla items and resources get useless when you get to aether. Some of the forge mods could be worth trying, and some of them fit well with BTW, but they are forge mods. If I hadn't discovered BTW, i'd be playing vMC with some small mods like somnia, etc. I am not saying that all mods suck, I am saying that most of them do.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Larmantine wrote:
BinoAl wrote: Now that's going a bit far :p BTW is certainly my favorite mod, and vMC feels empty without it, but that doesn't mean that no other mods are worth trying out.
Words.
I honestly couldn't say it better myself. The only thing I like about the Aether is the texturework, anyway.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

After a couple days of playing, I now have this:
I'm tempted to just toss it all in a crucible and see what happens.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

sargunster wrote:After a couple days of playing, I now have this:
Do it. Do it now.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Heh, I don't even recognize the texture ...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

M!C wrote:
Heh, I don't even recognize the texture ...
Basically, solidified thaum. His crucible will explode with awesomeness mixed with liquid thaum.
M!C

Post by M!C »

BinoAl wrote:His crucible will explode with awesomeness mixed with liquid thaum.
Heh, I guessed as much (even though I haven't played the mod ... strange, isn't it? ;) ). I think I want to see pictures now. :P
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Nothing too spectacular:
Spoiler
Show
This is what the description of the mod says about it:
Care must be taken not to overfill the crucible. Liquid vis is quite volatile and having puddles of it lying around can have consequences ranging from annoying to catastrophic... though occasionally something useful happens.
M!C

Post by M!C »

sargunster wrote: This is what the description of the mod says about it:
Care must be taken not to overfill the crucible. Liquid vis is quite volatile and having puddles of it lying around can have consequences ranging from annoying to catastrophic... though occasionally something useful happens.
Maybe you got the "something useful happens"-part?
Because "catastrophic" looks different. More like this:
Spoiler
Show
EchoSong120

Post by EchoSong120 »

I am 100% lost. Okay, So, I have the ThaumCraft mod, and i found one of the 'Obsidian Obelisk' things. I've been searching around forums and whatnot, and I stumble upon that The Obelisks' Thaum stuff can be used with a Condenser? If this is true, can one of you tell me how to make it? And, also, i didnt know what this mod was when i found it, (it was in the Yogsbox mod, and the YB mod has Mo' Creatures which wont download correctly for me any other way) i just got the mod anyway :3 So, Thanks if you help! I appreciate it ;P
Panda

Post by Panda »

Gosh i love the practical side of BTW, but i love magic too, seeing as they both have certain blocks for making machines, wouldn't Better Than Thaumcraft be AMAZING?!

i wish....

panda
Never say no to Panda.