Urian's videos and pictures - 15/7 automated farm tutorial

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Urian

Urian's videos and pictures - 15/7 automated farm tutorial

Post by Urian »

Since I've finally decided to make videos instead of merely posting pictures now and then, I made a cozy little topic for them. Most of my projects are already documented in other videos (e.g. automated farms and such) so I won't be posting them but I do believe I have some stuff that haven't been documented (much at least) yet :)

To start it off, I made a video showing my hidden staircase since that one has received very positive feedback:
Spoiler
Show
I also made a very short video with a clock Battosay didn't cover:
Spoiler
Show

This was my first ever attempt at using Fraps, hence the quite abrupt end and other oddities.
More videos to come.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Urian

Re: Urian's videos and pictures

Post by Urian »

An new example of a reed/sugar cane farm (works for hemp as well by only using one piston):
Spoiler
Show
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Very nice videos. I especially like the clock :D
Himochi

Post by Himochi »

Nice :)
Also is this a testworld, because there seem to be a lot of other projects in the distance.
(Beware:Personal opinion ahead) One problem tho, the whole thing looks a bit unfinished/unpolished, maybe if you made the stairs on the side and added some pillars supporting the platform above and hid the redstone in said pillars it would look way better imo. However if this is indeed a test world and you were testing a concept - its perfectly fine and I have no objections :D
And about the clock, I dont fully understand the purpose of it, but I like the double tapping pistons :D

-Himo
Urian

Post by Urian »

Himochi wrote:Nice :)
Also is this a testworld, because there seem to be a lot of other projects in the distance.
(Beware:Personal opinion ahead) One problem tho, the whole thing looks a bit unfinished/unpolished, maybe if you made the stairs on the side and added some pillars supporting the platform above and hid the redstone in said pillars it would look way better imo. However if this is indeed a test world and you were testing a concept - its perfectly fine and I have no objections :D
And about the clock, I dont fully understand the purpose of it, but I like the double tapping pistons :D

-Himo
Yup, it's my test world so I don't bother hiding wiring and such unless I'm trying out ways for how to do it :)

The clock (which was merely a quick test that I decided to try as my first mc video, hence e.g. non-efficient timing on the wiring) can be quite easily adjusted by replacing glass blocks with conductive blocks as well as changing how large the clock will be. By changing blocks you can do such things as e.g. send out pulses with regular intervals that lasts for varying lengths (e.g. have 1 block, 2 blocks and then 3 blocks with a set amount of glass in between will make a clock that sends out signals from short to long (until you're back at the 1 block again). If you make it longer, then it can serve as an alternative to a plant clock with the benefit of always having the same intervals between pulses. In short, it's a very versatile clock when you need something beyond the normal ca 5-clocks :p
Himochi

Post by Himochi »

Urian wrote: By changing blocks you can do such things as e.g. send out pulses with regular intervals that lasts for varying lengths
Yup I got that but I believe that you can do the same with a clock of repeaters that keep the current rotating and then branching the redstone to a line of more repeaters, which I think is way more efficient and not as noisy :D
You can change the intervals between the pulses simply by adding or removing repeaters or you can tweak them c:
It's still an interesting idea tho, I wouldn't have thought of using pistons that way. Good job! c:

-Himo
Urian

Post by Urian »

Himochi wrote:
Urian wrote: By changing blocks you can do such things as e.g. send out pulses with regular intervals that lasts for varying lengths
Yup I got that but I believe that you can do the same with a clock of repeaters that keep the current rotating and then branching the redstone to a line of more repeaters, which I think is way more efficient and not as noisy :D
You can change the intervals between the pulses simply by adding or removing repeaters or you can tweak them c:
It's still an interesting idea tho, I wouldn't have thought of using pistons that way. Good job! c:

-Himo
You need to change the repeaters every time you want to change the length their output signal. Granted, there aren't many cases where that's very useful that I can think of right now but it might be handy if it ever comes to that :p Creating a slow clock with repeaters take up way more space, testing slow clocks is a long ongoing project for me ;)
Himochi

Post by Himochi »

I'll shut up now :D
You kind of won that one,Urian! ;)
Looking forward to more vids of your contraptions :)

-Himo
Urian

Post by Urian »

Behold the power of this fully operational automated farm!
Spoiler
Show
64 hemp plants and 32 reeds with piston harvesting timed by two reed clocks in an OR-gate hidden underground.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

looks very nice. I see btw you use the John Smith BTW textures and was wondering if you would be interested in this
Spoiler
Show
I just took John Smiths minigrate and put some light behind it since i myself didn't like the light from the pack + the normal block in off state was not see trough.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Thieme wrote:looks very nice. I see btw you use the John Smith BTW textures and was wondering if you would be interested in this
-images-
I just took John Smiths minigrate and put some light behind it since i myself didn't like the light from the pack + the normal block in off state was not see trough.
I've already done the same :) I've also modified the rest of the texture pack (both for vanilla and BTW) quite a bit in other ways since there were several textures I didn't like.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

ahh the on state still looks very similar on the screenshot ^^. Would you mind showing what you have changed? I myself still use faithfull pack but just took the glass so i have "2 different kinds of glass"
Urian

Post by Urian »

The screenshot uses glowstone blocks, not light blocks. Since the farm is always lit up, there is no need for light blocks. I'll try to get some screenshots with what changes I've made.
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Doh ofcourse ... one would think i am sort of awake after 10 hours of sleep anyways thanks in advance looking forward to them.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I've replaced all the textures that were 16*16, mostly by the Faithful textures or textures so close that I don't spot them right now :)

These are the item graphics I've changed:
Spoiler
Show
These are the changed block textures:
Spoiler
Show
I've also edited all the GUIs.
Cauldron:
Spoiler
Show
Block Dispenser:
Spoiler
Show
Pulley:
Spoiler
Show
Hopper:
Spoiler
Show
Millstone:
Spoiler
Show
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

nicely done looks good
Urian

Post by Urian »

Tutorial for how to build an automated farm for hemp or reed/sugar cane. It's extendable upwards for as many levels as you want:
Spoiler
Show
As you might guess from the soundtrack, I made it with a hangover... That's probably the reason I forgot to add my intro as well and since it took over 7 hours to render and upload, I can't be bothered to change it :)
Battosay

Re: Urian's videos and pictures - 15/7 automated farm tutori

Post by Battosay »

Well done bro :)
Love the soundtrack ^^