BuddyBlock Automatic Pottery

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Chaechew

BuddyBlock Automatic Pottery

Post by Chaechew »

I finally got around to creating a pottery station using a buddy block.

BTW version: 3.30
Fully automated Planters/Urns.
Sure it can be done for others too, just didn't bother doing the calculations.

In collaboration with Phantum / lilaznkilla V2 is demonstarted with better controls.
Follow the discussion below to follow the fun.
Other versions demonstrated below, give a look.

Chaechew
Last edited by Chaechew on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
finite8

Re: BuddyBlock Automatic Pottery

Post by finite8 »

Yeah, the Buddy Block is the best for automated pottery!
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I am very very impressed, good work man.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Thanks.

I made it primarily cause a friend (he bought me minecraft - and i turned him on to BTW - so we are even :) ) was trying to make one using 2 turntables, but was having trouble.

Anything i make using 2 turntables never works. I am just not good with em, so the buddy block is a life saver for me. It i can understand, so i set out to make one using the buddy.

So this is designed for him, but if he needed help maybe others did too.
I try to explain my designs to the fullest understanding possible so that it helps, not just look what i can do.
I remember when i needed help understanding: There was battosay.
I am just paying back to the community.

Thanks for your time.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

very good job my man :D i believe i will be using your design once i finally quit arsing around and actually get myself through the tech tree
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

It is quite odd how you have the kiln and pottery wheel separate .
I my first Fully automatic pottery producing system I had one Turn table Make the Clay blocks into a pottery piece then another turntable right next to that Witch had a Block dispenser on it. the block dispenser would Pick up the pottery on one side then place it on the other side ( inside the kiln ) After it was baked Two pistons lifter the top and Back blocks ( this was when the kiln required 5 blocks ) and water would flush the newly formed pottery out of the kiln. it was an all in one system that was Tuned ( to make different potter ) by the setting of the potters wheel . as for timing i had two more turntables used a binary counters ( counting up to 4 bit ) This gave me 16 different possibility in terms of when to do what in my timing circuit.

The buddy block system looks like it could be compacted a lot more than a system based on my set up. I think it is quite an impressive set up all in all
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but this post is about automatic in in a way, so I just thought I'd say that I'm almost done my auto breeding farm and will be posting a video of it once I finish.

Does anyone know of a good recording program I could use?
And how to craft the breeding harness? :3
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Thanks

I made the kiln first cause i needed it for some planters, figure if i was gonna make a kiln might as well make an automated one while i was at it, plus i wanted to use the buddy block to do it since at the time buddy blocks were not getting featured. necessity is the mother of invention. i make what i need.

That video is abit old... That kiln is actually on a whole different island.

I now made the pottery piece cause a friend was trying to and with difficulty. I have more than i need in supplies. I stocked up on steel long before they even need urns... their mine and i am not giving em up :) but this work validates it cause i have done the work to make more this way. :) or at least will when i need it and finish the rest.

Plus the goal was to use a buddy block in the design.

I haven't gotten around to doing it all together cause i don't really need it, but maybe this will help someone or inspire someone who does, to do it and give back to the community in a way that others can understand be helped.

Seeing each piece separate also make techniques more digestible than just throwing everything at someone all at once and they go very nice, but i don't get it. Notice i could use the same techniques in more than spot, but i don't i include others to demonstrate different ways of doing things or what works for me.

This isn't about making the best, or the best looking for me, it's about sharing my understanding and hopefully helping or inspiring others to take it another step and bring it back to the community in a way that others can understand and be helped and inspired too... hopefully in the end helping me understand more than i knew too.

What if you already had several autokilns but need a fast pottery making machine? I got autokilns and no pottery machine till now, i was having to do my pottery a couple at a time by levers off and on. This fills that need and fast and cheap. A kiln can't cook as fast as this makes, i don't think. I would need more than one kiln to keep up, but that is speculation and not important.

i can't understand the timing and everything involved in putting the two together by watching people's displays and have tried lots of times and failed. Sorry, maybe ill try again later when i need it. I have trouble understanding people's displays, most aren't explained and some are not explained so i can understand - not that they have to be.

Not saying yours is. i haven't seen it, i don't think. I am talking videos in general.
It's nice to see, but i want to understand.

I learn as i go, and create one at a time as i need it, then explain and give back, if i feel it will benefit.
Hopefully they are explained enough to understand.

This isn't aimed at advanced users necessarily- you probably already have something that works, but more for those trying to figure something, anything out like me.

If someone wants to teach the community something better, please do. please explain it well. I want to learn too.
Don't forget your buddy block:) he gets lonely.

Pay it Foreword.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Instead of adding additional rows, what you might want to try to automate it further is to add additional block detectors. You can stage a liner counter in such fashion, basically all you need to do is combine AND gates, and an extra block dispenser per turn of the table, It is INCREDIBLY compact in comparison, and if you want to go a stage further you can use RS NOR latches w/ buttons so that people can only select One option in terms of what they want, or for a more complex design, set up the number of each they want (Factory style) if you do multiple copies of each, the circuitry expands exponentially. :P
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
PsyJester

Post by PsyJester »

thanks chew ;p
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Chaechew wrote: -Snip-
i can't understand the timing and everything involved in putting the two together by watching people's displays and have tried lots of times and failed. Sorry, maybe ill try again later when i need it. I have trouble understanding people's displays, most aren't explained and some are not explained so i can understand - not that they have to be.
-Snip-
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0cc754 ... _Wolfs.zip
Here is a link to the 1.7.3. world that I have my first auto kiln in . When you arrive you will be staring at a switch this is the on ? off for the hole machine . there is a spiral of dirt to your left that takes you up to where you will see the side of a Block dispenser. place clay in hear . pull leaver. then wait a while for your pottery to starts coming out the shoot into the hopper.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Thanks for the feedback and help.
lilaznkilla

Post by lilaznkilla »

Nice video you made, it showed me how to get the set up a automated pottery and I've managed to connect it to an automated kiln.
I've posted a video if you want to take a look at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaErpsPcQ7o
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Very Nice: Thanks for the video and the credit.
I am so glad that it helped you have no idea.

Gave me some direction on the auto Kiln. I appreciate the re-contribution. Thank you.

I was just messing with that when i read this and literally just popped a kiln right in front.
The pottery is pushed directly into the kiln and cooked, next item pushes it off and then into a powered hopper that puts it in a dispenser to get ready for the last stage of soul urn making.

Haven't worked out the last piece yet and i loose one item cause of the push out required, so yours is better. +10 for style points.

Edit: My Method for attaching a kiln to it does not work. Urn size to small to push finished items of previous urns out.
lilaznkilla

Post by lilaznkilla »

Didn't realize this until after I was done with the project. But you can use a 2nd BD to control the stage of the pottery while the first BD counts the rotations. Also thanks to phantom, I made a control to configure which type of pottery is made though using a different method of pistons and levers instead of RS NOR latches and buttons. Ths pistons change the course of the redstone to Different BDs with counters set up for each pottery type.
Only problem is that changing the output type while in progress wrecks the timing of both the old and new setting which requires a run through to correct itself.

Initial Design
Spoiler
Show
Finished Product
Spoiler
Show
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qgczYa_wM
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

lilaznkilla wrote:Didn't realize this until after I was done with the project. But you can use a 2nd BD to control the stage of the pottery while the first BD counts the rotations. Also thanks to phantom, I made a control to configure which type of pottery is made though using a different method of pistons and levers instead of RS NOR latches and buttons. Ths pistons change the course of the redstone to Different BDs with counters set up for each pottery type.
Only problem is that changing the output type while in progress wrecks the timing of both the old and new setting which requires a run through to correct itself.

Initial Design
Spoiler
Show
Finished Product
Spoiler
Show
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qgczYa_wM
'Looks good :)

If you wire in a couple circuits you can actually code it so that the current pottery piece will finish and then it will reset everything. I can't remember what it's called, but it basically runs a full complete circuit even if you cut the redstone power off half way through.
:)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Great Job!!!!
More and more i am glad i posted.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Phantum wrote: If you wire in a couple circuits you can actually code it so that the current pottery piece will finish and then it will reset everything. I can't remember what it's called, but it basically runs a full complete circuit even if you cut the redstone power off half way through.
XOR?
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Chaechew wrote:
Phantum wrote: If you wire in a couple circuits you can actually code it so that the current pottery piece will finish and then it will reset everything. I can't remember what it's called, but it basically runs a full complete circuit even if you cut the redstone power off half way through.
XOR?
don't think so, I basically build it with pistons, where once the first piston goes off, it provides power to the next, etc. till it goes through the entire process and then goes back to the first. As long as the first connection has power it will keep going, but when you cut the power it will stop when it gets back to the first.

I haven't used XOR gates, nor am I sure what exactly they do, but if that's what I just described then I guess I do :P
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Phantum wrote:
Chaechew wrote:
XOR?
don't think so, I basically build it with pistons, where once the first piston goes off, it provides power to the next, etc. till it goes through the entire process and then goes back to the first. As long as the first connection has power it will keep going, but when you cut the power it will stop when it gets back to the first.

I haven't used XOR gates, nor am I sure what exactly they do, but if that's what I just described then I guess I do :P
Nah, that's not an XOR gate. An XOR gate puts out a redstone signal if its two inputs aren't equal to one another. Makes it useful for having two switches control the same thing, since the output will change states when either input is changed.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Katalliaan wrote:
Phantum wrote:
Chaechew wrote:
XOR?

Nah, that's not an XOR gate. An XOR gate puts out a redstone signal if its two inputs aren't equal to one another. Makes it useful for having two switches control the same thing, since the output will change states when either input is changed.
ok I just learned how to make my design even more compact! <3
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

From the ideas before me given by phantum and illustrated by lilaznklla I have added the ability to control which type of pottery is being done. They have been given collaboration credits on my V2 on both the top of this page as well as on the video. Thanks for creating with me. I am having fun and learning a great deal, and i am sure it is helping others as well as ourselves.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Chaechew on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Chaechew wrote:From the ideas before me given by phantum and illustrated by lilaznklla I have added the ability to control which type of pottery is being done. They have been given collaboration credits on my V2 on both the top of this page as well as on the video. Thanks for creating with me. I am having fun and learning a great deal, and i am sure it is helping others as well as ourselves.

Hope it helps.

You're welcome :)

Now you should try stacking your redstone circuits to compress them :)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
lilaznkilla

Post by lilaznkilla »

Very nice work there man. Might try to incorporate that design into a whole automated process with a kiln and clay reloading mechanisms