Ideas for underwater content?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
CaL

Ideas for underwater content?

Post by CaL »

Currently there are no reasons for underwater exploring, or for building undersea constructions (other than for aesthetics).

I lack a great deal of imagination and such, but I'm sure that some unique or interesting content that would require us to go venturing deep underwater could open up some avenues for fun and interesting gameplay and possibly new game mechanics.

Anyone got any ideas for possible resources or reasons that would want you to venture deep underwater? (stuff that keeps in theme with BTW ofc)

Also, does the concept of having to explore and build underwater appeal to you, and could you see any possible problems with doing so?
Itamarcu

Re: Ideas for underwater content?

Post by Itamarcu »

I think there shouldn't be anything specifically for underwater bases, since there is nothing for mountains, ravines or floating islands. The only thing I can think of is some kind of a factory that can only be created underwater/using a large body of water.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
CaL

Post by CaL »

itamarcu wrote:I think there shouldn't be anything specifically for underwater bases, since there is nothing for mountains, ravines or floating islands. The only thing I can think of is some kind of a factory that can only be created underwater/using a large body of water.
Building on a mountain or in a ravine is no different than building on a flat plain or in some random cave. Building underwater has the problem/feature of having to build underwater, which is a tad different.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

It isn't really that different. It just requires you to fill up a large area with blocks (or glass) and then dig out the inside.

When building a floating island, for example, you have to be careful, have a way of transporting things and yourself, have a lot of resources because you can't go down...
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
CaL

Post by CaL »

itamarcu wrote:It isn't really that different. It just requires you to fill up a large area with blocks (or glass) and then dig out the inside.

When building a floating island, for example, you have to be careful, have a way of transporting things and yourself, have a lot of resources because you can't go down...
True. but I've always found building underwater to be tedious and challenging, whilst also more apealling than on a floating island. The fact that Minecraft water physics aren't all that great does make things easier though.

Either way, other than for aesthetic reasons, theres no real need to build on floating islands or deep underwater, which is why I'd like some suggestions for reasons to do so.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

CaL wrote:
itamarcu wrote:...theres no real need to build on floating islands or deep underwater...
If you need a reason to do cool shit, minecraft is NOT the game for you ;)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I think you messed up the quotes a bit :P
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Woops. Just a bit. :p You get the point, though xD
CaL

Post by CaL »

BinoAl wrote:
CaL wrote:
itamarcu wrote:...theres no real need to build on floating islands or deep underwater...
If you need a reason to do cool shit, minecraft is NOT the game for you ;)
Building a base in the Nether is cool (in my eyes at least), but I'm sure theres a large amount of people who wouldn't bother or even step foot into the Nether if not for the need of Netherack and other resources there. Likewise, theres probably an even bigger amount of players who can't be bothered to build underwater and thats because theres nothing there.

A while back when FC asked for ideas for blue dye sources and someone mentioned Clams I thought it was a great idea since it means delving into an area of Minecraft we don't bother with much (to an extent). We have practical reasons for building on the surface (easy access to farm mobs), underground (resources) and the Nether (again, resources) but not underwater, which could add interesting gameplay elements.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CaL wrote: Building a base in the Nether is cool (in my eyes at least), but I'm sure theres a large amount of people who wouldn't bother or even step foot into the Nether if not for the need of Netherack and other resources there. Likewise, theres probably an even bigger amount of players who can't be bothered to build underwater and thats because theres nothing there.

A while back when FC asked for ideas for blue dye sources and someone mentioned Clams I thought it was a great idea since it means delving into an area of Minecraft we don't bother with much (to an extent). We have practical reasons for building on the surface (easy access to farm mobs), underground (resources) and the Nether (again, resources) but not underwater, which could add interesting gameplay elements.
Yup, I do certainly like to motivate people to build in different ways, and I think underwater is a good area to look at. Creativity is one thing, but motivated creativity that has been seeded by a perceived need is much more interesting IMO, and many of the mod features are based around that concept.

Right now I'm focused on the Nether as I don't think it's yet up to the point where people are really motivated to setup shop there. Once I am done with that (and a few other things on my list), I certainly wouldn't be opposed to looking at something like this. It's actually come up in the past already, and things like diving bells were discussed.
CaL

Post by CaL »

Sounds very interesting and worth the wait! Shall look forward to it!
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Here is my 10 cents.

make some kind of rare plant that only grows in water At a cretin depth . like 10 blocks down.
Possibly to make it more difficult to cultivate a plant that only grown is the dark. Possibly Name kelp or blue corral
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Plants that grow in very low light conditions like that tend to be purple or dark red. Blue dye isn't really a concern anymore since blue sheep breed true now but the sea has a vast and terrible bounty to offer those who would brave its unforgiving depths. Dye is the very least of these. I do want to see more nether content since I already build my initial operations in the dragon's bung, as it were. Actual undersea content on the other hand will simply give me a weeks-long joygasm.
Better is the enemy of Good
Trequiche

Post by Trequiche »

There already is a reason to go underwater but not necessarily live there. Clay. Clay is found in swamp biomes or if you don't have any swamps near you, then your only option is the bottom of the ocean. This could make it beneficial to make a base underwater so you wouldn't have to go all the way up for air. You wouldn't even need a large base, just a tiny outpost.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Or you could just carry a couple reeds with you and plant them on the ocean floor for an instant air pocket. Clay is so plentiful now that it's not really a reason anymore. Justification for a base would have to include something renewable.
Better is the enemy of Good
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Something like cultivating seaweed or some other underwater vegetation could prove a nice challenge.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

there should be some sort of hard material at bottom of the ocean also some plats for easy getting of lime and orange collor dyes. Also bottom of ocean should have a function because its very cold down there so it should have some functions about this. Also there should be like amber at bottom or even better looking idea that amber would generate on new laying tree blocks like per 4-5 minecraft days. By the way for amber i guess there would be loads of ideas. Or that FC wont need to change world generation code you would place 5 logs at the bottom of sea and it would generate ember slowly and it wont generate on other wood blocks at a distance of like 30 blocks at all directions making it 60x60 so you wont be able to make this easy. Omg i guess my ideas are crazy as hell and wont be confirmed by others ;D