Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Zhil

Re: Welcome to Edolas (Server information)

Post by Zhil »

Sounds great man!

Time to brainstorm a plan? It seems like housing isn't really what we need, since everyone moves out eventually. What about other stuff? Station, plaza, trading market, etc.

Last spawn, the shops we had were only a chest. I propose everyone gets to make a shop or something they could later use to sell stuff :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I village or something is indeed not really needed.. but it is fun. :P It's nice to spawn on a server and be able to walk around and see things, and not having to walk around for hours to find other people's build sites. :)

However, building the things you mentioned is a good start for that. :)

- Train station
- Plaza
- Market place
- Lookout tower (get up, signs at the top showing where people are building is really handy!)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

A new era has started, Edolas 2.0 has been released! :)

I have done a full backup of Edolas as it was, en also downloaded it locally to ensure it's survival regardless of the hosting service. After that I set up a new profile/world. Edolas 2.0 is running on the "default" minecraft server shizzle, without any addons. Whitelisting is still in effect though (copied over the previously used whitelist).

I will see about running a map of sorts at some point. Currently the spawn is flatlands, with a little wooden shack (bed, furnace, crafting table, chest). Feel free to use this to stay safe during your starting days. :) When facing the door of this shack, you will find a big ocean to your left, a forrest to your right, some mountains to the front and swamps behind your butt. If you are looking for a desert, I saw one on the other side of the ocean somewhere.. i think. :P
M!C

Post by M!C »

So, any plans for a collaborative effort to get Spawn done nicely? I don't want to randomly start building somewhere again ...
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Well, actual plans.. not really.

But here is what the current thought on that is:
Flatlands at the spawn is actually quite nice to build on. Nice and flat! :D. This will also open up for nice viewing oppertunities, with the forrest and ocean next to it.

What would you like to see as a starting point? A big castle, a village? Any suggestions would be nice! :)

Personally, I really like the way PotatoOrgy (Team Mongoose) does it on their server. THey have this relatively big starting town at their spawn, build by the community themselves. Everybody has their own house there, but keeps it to the towns aesthetics. Check it out on his most recent server saterday (youtube).
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Almost forgot!!!

My apologies for banning quezanfseiu32dasd? Something like that. :) You logged in, and I assumed the whitelisting failed as I did not remember your name (it is rather random... :P). After checking the whitelist I saw you in there, and realized the whitelisting was working, and quickly unbanned you. My apologies for the sudden ban :(.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

FaceFoiled wrote:Personally, I really like the way PotatoOrgy (Team Mongoose) does it on their server. THey have this relatively big starting town at their spawn, build by the community themselves. Everybody has their own house there, but keeps it to the towns aesthetics. Check it out on his most recent server saterday (youtube).
I like that idea. What kind of aesthetics were you thinking of for the town?
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Aesthetics are really not my strong suit. :P
Last time we had the wood/wool buildings, but I'd like something more sturdy this time (and a bit easier to obtain, lots of cows around, not a whole lot of sheep). I guess it all depends on the buildings though. The buildings don't have to be identical or anything, but it would be nice if they look alright together.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Just let me know what you guys decide, and when we're building. I'll be there :)
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

morvelaira wrote:Just let me know what you guys decide, and when we're building. I'll be there :)
Reading that prompted the baywatch theme in my head. "I'll be ready.." or well, its more of an "Iiiiiiiiiiiii'l be ready" :P
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Well, I do probably look good in a red bathing suit, but I'm not blonde.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

FaceFoiled wrote:Almost forgot!!!

My apologies for banning quezanfseiu32dasd? Something like that. :) You logged in, and I assumed the whitelisting failed as I did not remember your name (it is rather random... :P). After checking the whitelist I saw you in there, and realized the whitelisting was working, and quickly unbanned you. My apologies for the sudden ban :(.
Yup, that was me :)

I thought it would be something like that, and it wouldn't be the first time with that username. If I ever get another MC account, I will use a somewhat more memorable name :P
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm not sure how often I'll be on but can you whitelist me? Username is Urian (no big surprise there)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Urian wrote:I'm not sure how often I'll be on but can you whitelist me? Username is Urian (no big surprise there)
Done. :)
M!C

Post by M!C »

This is the first time I saw 8 people on the server. Looks like the clean restart was a good idea.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I just remembered that I was whited listed here, I think I only logged in once, I guess I with the restart no better time like the present.

EDIT: Yeah, getting busy within hours of posting this...just my luck (even it this is edited days latter)
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I got disconnected and the minecraft login servers are down again. Guess I'll call it a night.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

I like the idea of everyone having their own store to sell things, my thoughts were, that maybe the theme should be a basic cobble and wood mash. Maybe have the spawn inside the town hall and as they walk out the front doors it will be going down a few steps into a large market kinda area, double slab streets with a half slab highe devider in he middle flanked by stores on either side, Lamp posts on the center deviders of the street with either a block of glowstone atop of each or maybe a wood block with torches. We could even have a line of glass in the middle of each side of the street with the mine cart rail going underneath. Maybe we could even add in some city walls, ya?! Maybe we could all even build a bank to be part of the market, main storage is under ground though of course. Also to keep the looks of the nearby forest it would be nice if people replant what they take ;-) . I have many idea's lol.
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Can anyone say if there lagging when they log on as the are alot of animals near spawn?
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

If you've got room for one more, could I get an invite? User=kylearn.
foreman

Post by foreman »

I'd love to join up sometime if there is room, sounds like the kind of server community I can get behind.

my IGN: foreman
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

A city with walls would be nice.

Big walls.
IGN: Camerinthus
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

So it's been a little while since we started. I hope we can soon get to do something for the town. At least we have the Co-Op farm. It's on the forest-edge of the plains area. That's a good start to build from, or at least orient the town to.

I don't know how you all feel but I'd like Governor FaceFoiled to establish a town center- maybe a bricked fountain square or something that we can build from. To start it off, if he thinks thats a good idea?

I thought about placing it myself- I'd have spoke to you Face on steam if I had seen you since I got the idea. Though if you did let me do it, I'd insist on being called Mayor Herpingderp.

I also have plans for an open air market and even (yes) a post office in town. These will require lockette and dropchest to be working, though, respectively. I've been doing a lot of mining but may not really be ready to those two things- but I could start.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Sajuuk wrote:So it's been a little while since we started. I hope we can soon get to do something for the town. At least we have the Co-Op farm. It's on the forest-edge of the plains area. That's a good start to build from, or at least orient the town to.

I don't know how you all feel but I'd like Governor FaceFoiled to establish a town center- maybe a bricked fountain square or something that we can build from. To start it off, if he thinks thats a good idea?

I thought about placing it myself- I'd have spoke to you Face on steam if I had seen you since I got the idea. Though if you did let me do it, I'd insist on being called Mayor Herpingderp.

I also have plans for an open air market and even (yes) a post office in town. These will require lockette and dropchest to be working, though, respectively. I've been doing a lot of mining but may not really be ready to those two things- but I could start.
Heyz! I was out for the weekend, so you would indeed not have seen me on Steam. :D But I'm back now baby! \o/ I did start to get supplies ready before I left, and started smelting some cobble as well. I will continue doing so right now again, to get some smooth brick and start off. :)

Sadly I can't get lockette and dropchest working yet, as there is no RC build for bukkit for MC 1.0 yet.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Rekablade wrote: [edit] Just make sure I stay on the Whitelist xD
[edit2] Just a quick question, didn't want to make a new post seeing how I still have the last one, I was wondering if or when there is a restart for 1.0.0 is it still going to be the same type of server like we had before or are you thinking of changing it around a little this time? Just wanted to know because I was going to go look at plugins to see what sounds good/useful.
Sorry man, missed your edits completely. :) I don't have any plans to remove people from the whitelist, unless they deserve a boot. :P So don't worry about that. :)
-
I am planning to keep it exactly the same, so anything and nothing goes. You can do what you want. With the collective plans to make a city/spawn and such, I do hope that trading might be more effective. As such, I do plan on adding iConomy again for shops. In addition, Worldguard to fix problems where required and permissionsEx for the permissions.
whynocheese wrote:Just wondering if it was possible if I could join your server.
PM'd for IGN request (ingame minecraft name, to whitelist)
jehanum wrote:If you've got room for one more, could I get an invite? User=kylearn.
Whitelisted! =)
foreman wrote:I'd love to join up sometime if there is room, sounds like the kind of server community I can get behind. my IGN: foreman
Whitelisted! =)