Open Design Discussion: Turntable

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Riveter

Re: Open Design Discussion: Turntable

Post by Riveter »

I've been making different clocks/switches in my underground hideaway. The constant noise these things make can get to you after awhile. I'm hoping that the turntable will be silent or at least have a very small area of sound around it. Imagine hearing block placement sounds every time it/they rotate!
This will be one of those things that changes the playing field in a big way. Water wheels are cool and all, but a reliable timing method will enable the creation of amazing things in Minecraft.
elustran

Post by elustran »

If you're considering editing timing of the turntable via a tile entity, I'd suggest allowing for a fairly wide range of values, unlike just four like the redstone repeater has.

Also, the first feature that popped into mind was to use the turntable to drive a clockface, but I don't see it happening at the moment the way it sounds like the design is going. I know it wasn't in your original design idea, but would it be possible to use platforms directly attached to the turntable to allow for multiple block rotation? This would allow for larger turntables that actually visually rotate without having to deal with too many extra blocks.

Then, just place a sideways turntable with a 3-platform extension on it, configure the timing setting on the tile entity, set up a small cascade of redstone torch turntables behind it to adjust or extend the timing as necessary (giving the appearance of clockwork), and you can probably have a pretty decent clock-face.

Of course, being able to rotate platforms could open up other possibilities too, such as a rotating slot floodgate or a rotating door.
Haniale

Post by Haniale »

elustran wrote:If you're considering editing timing of the turntable via a tile entity, I'd suggest allowing for a fairly wide range of values, unlike just four like the redstone repeater has.
Not really, as the blocks have a very small data limit - 4 bits I think I heard. Rotation has to be stored, so loose two bits there. Assuming no powered state needs to be stored, you would have at most 4 selections, just like the repeater(00, 01, 10, 11, or 0-3).
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

First off this will be a very use full device for 4 bit counters . cos every time it rotates it can send a pulse to the next turntable to rotate 90 Deg then make four turns then Make the second one rotate one . This will make a very simple Counter system .
Stormweaver wrote:I don't know whether I've worked this out right or not, but wouldn't this also get around the one other problem we've had with timers? Up till now (without insane amouts of complicated piston design) it's been almost impossible to create a timer which actually waits a conciderable amount of time due to any delays from repeaters just being added together. Wheras using these with torches to power/unpower the gearboxes on adjacent turntabled torches would multiply the delay (by 4) each time.

Now all I have to do is wait. yay.
I have had no problem with Long Pulse clocks. it is simple you have two different Train tracks or different length . they both are connected to one side of a AND gate when the two minecarts align they send a pulse from the and gate. the time till the next alignment is Huge .

Think of planets rotating around the sun then a solar eclipse. it is possible to make these go days before and alignment.
Very simple Ha.
elustran

Post by elustran »

Haniale wrote:
elustran wrote:If you're considering editing timing of the turntable via a tile entity, I'd suggest allowing for a fairly wide range of values, unlike just four like the redstone repeater has.
Not really, as the blocks have a very small data limit - 4 bits I think I heard. Rotation has to be stored, so loose two bits there. Assuming no powered state needs to be stored, you would have at most 4 selections, just like the repeater(00, 01, 10, 11, or 0-3).
Tile entities are what store data attached to blocks, such as items in chests, so there should be ample room, afaik.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Locking down this thread as nothing good can come from this kind of rampant speculation and feature creep.

I had a very specific issue to discuss guys. I wasn't asking for feature ideas that would occupy me for the next month.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Oh crap, the first open design suggestion topic happens just when I'm not here ...
*sadface*