Bellows stoked hibachi crashing game every time!

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
FlyingGarlic

Bellows stoked hibachi crashing game every time!

Post by FlyingGarlic »

Hi folks,
I THINK this is the correct place to post this.
I am seeing some bizzare behavior when i try to create a bellows stoked hibachi that I would love to get some help with. Its so bizzare I'm a bit concerned that no one else has seen it and people might not believe me!

Summary: Whenever I activate a bellows stoked hibachi, within about 2 to 20 seconds the game spontaneously exits to a "saving chunks" message and then proceeds to quit out. However the game never properly exits, a black window remains which I need to close manually. I am allays able to boot the game back up and proceed right from where I left off. As long as I either turn off the turntable that activates the bellows, OR I turn off the hibachi, the game will continue indefinitely. As soon as I enable both the bellows and the hibachi, bang, the game quits!

Other odd behavior associated with the stoked fire. If I move the hibachi away from the bellows, it is still getting stoked by the bellows into a two block high flame as long as it is within a few block range! I was under the impression that the bellows had to be right next to the hibachi in order to stoke its fire. I get the crash whenever the hibachi produces the higher flame.

More details:
I am using these mods:

fully clean 1.8.1
modloader 181
MINECRAFT FORGE 1.1.2 Client
OptiFine_1.8.1_HD_AA_D2
btw 3.20
InvTweaks-1.32-1.8.1
Shelf v2 B1.5_01.zip

[1.8.1] Somnia v15 MCF (forge zip to mods folder)
ModOptionsAPI-v0.7.1
NatureOverhaul.v1.3
advanced_compass_1.8.1.zip
mod_PumpkinRebreather_1.8.1
WorldSaveTime_v1.8.1
ModLoaderMp 1.8.1 (Flan's ModLoaderMp Unofficial) (required by
RedPowerCore-2.0pr3b (mods folder no jar files)
RedPowerWiring-2.0pr3b (mods folder no jar files)

I have tried my save with a paired down collection of mods and I am seeing the same behavior.
(I need to look into this further but I wanted to get peoples feedback first.)
I did try it without redpower installed and I got the same behavior.

I am using a method to have multiple versions of minecraft available to me by having seperate folders and launching via a launch document that contains:

set APPDATA=%cd%
javaw -Xmx1600M -Xmx800M -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

See any problems with this?
Whats the "-cp" do?
I also bumped up the ram to see if that would help but it did not.
(I was previously at 100% allocated memory so I thought this might help.)

My system has 2 megs of ram running XPsp2.
PLEASE ask any clarifying questions that might help track this down.
Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before?

THANKS!
Last edited by FlyingGarlic on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Re: Bellows stoked hibachi crashing game every time!

Post by Stormweaver »

There's a problem with Nature overhaul overwriting the fire class; and I'm pretty sure there are other issues with it as well, but I can't remember them.

best bet would be to specifically add the BTW fire class over the top. Now...I just have to remember which one that is.

EDIT: nah, I can't. If you're up for doing a fresh install, do that, and make sure you install NO before BTW, and it should be fine.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

GREAT !!
Thanks so much Stormweaver for the VERY QUICK and specific guidance!

I will give that a try and post the result.
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

I am looking at the BTW / other mod Compatibility List at

http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... ility_List

and noticing that neither Nature Overhaul NOR RedPower are mentioned at all.
I would think that both of these are pretty common mods?

A) do people think these are both generally safe with BTW ?
B) how to get them added to the comparability page?
C) I will be doing a re install and make sure that BTW is installed over nature overhaul, does anyone see any other problems with my order of mods installed? is it generally best to install BTW LAST ?
Sky_Som

Post by Sky_Som »

FlyingGarlic wrote:I am looking at the BTW / other mod Compatibility List at

http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... ility_List

and noticing that neither Nature Overhaul NOR RedPower are mentioned at all.
I would think that both of these are pretty common mods?

A) do people think these are both generally safe with BTW ?
B) how to get them added to the comparability page?
C) I will be doing a re install and make sure that BTW is installed over nature overhaul, does anyone see any other problems with my order of mods installed? is it generally best to install BTW LAST ?
A) If done in the Right order
B) Thats kinda outdated if I remember Right
C) Not that I can See... Just back it up after each mod and test it out.

Also with Redpower, it will not matter if it was add to the compatability page, because it won't be once FC drops Forge with the next version.
Minecraft Name:Sky_Som
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

>Also with Redpower, it will not matter if it was add to the compatability page, because it won't be once FC drops Forge with the next version.

EEK! Oh right, I did glance at some discussion that this was coming.
I know next to nothing about issues Flowerchild has had the the MC Forge.
I'm REALLY hoping Mojang starts focusing on the mess that is mod support, and I hope their
solution does a good job at fixing the mess we are in now with various API's and mod incompatibilities.

But NO RedPower !?

I have barely scratched the surface of playing with redstone dust at all let alone all that RedPower provides.
But its clear to me that besides all the other stuff it allows, the RedPower mod does make wiring A LOT easier to deal with.
I would be really sorry if I had to give that up in order to stay current with MC and BTW.

I REALLY hope that flowerchild does something to help with redstone wiring should we have to give up RedPower.
(IE at least being able to place wire on all sides of blocks, but the insulated wires are also VERY helpful.)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Actually, BTW is meant to be played with the vanilla redstone. FC loves it when you have to make huge contraptions, which is core to the BTW gameplay.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlyingGarlic

Post by FlyingGarlic »

Gilberreke wrote:Actually, BTW is meant to be played with the vanilla redstone. FC loves it when you have to make huge contraptions, which is core to the BTW gameplay.

That's great that FC likes to build huge contraptions.
I am sure many MC and BTW players do as well.
However the ability to put redstone on any surface of a block and to have it more clearly connecting to a block you want to power definitely does make it easier to use, especially for those that are just starting to dabble in the use of redstone, such as myself. I believe this single addtion of redstone power makes redstone a lot more intuitive.

Anyway, while I really like the Nature Overhaul mod, I do think it adds a lot, I am giving up on using it for now.

thanks for all the suggestions!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlyingGarlic wrote:However the ability to put redstone on any surface of a block and to have it more clearly connecting to a block you want to power definitely does make it easier to use, especially for those that are just starting to dabble in the use of redstone, such as myself. I believe this single addtion of redstone power makes redstone a lot more intuitive.
Sure, but it will never be something that will ever appear in this mod, since the author simply doesn't like it that way
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlyingGarlic wrote:...especially for those that are just starting to dabble in the use of redstone, such as myself.
You say that as if some people were using vMC redstone since birth :|

It feels kinda wrong imo for someone to be saying that it better for beginners, as it never gives you a reason to use the original type of redstone afterwards; which out of habit forces a player to use redpower redstone for anything they want to build from then on. Better to start by learning how the normal stuff works, then make a judgement. It's not a short process to learn it, but it's kinda rewarding imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Stormweaver wrote:You say that as if some people were using vMC redstone since birth :|
Well, to be fair, as a programmer first discovering the existence of redstone, I just went "oh right, signals and not gates, this is turing complete, I can make binary adders and all sorts of gates and circuits in this". I never have to look up stuff, I just draw it out like any other circuit I'd do in the past. I think I learned binary circuits in school when I was 12, so that's 13 years of experience. So yeah, some people do have a bit of a head-start at this stuff ;)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:You say that as if some people were using vMC redstone since birth :|
Well, to be fair, as a programmer first discovering the existence of redstone, I just went "oh right, signals and not gates, this is turing complete, I can make binary adders and all sorts of gates and circuits in this". I never have to look up stuff, I just draw it out like any other circuit I'd do in the past. I think I learned binary circuits in school when I was 12, so that's 13 years of experience. So yeah, some people do have a bit of a head-start at this stuff ;)
Yeah likewise, the wiring and logic was intuitive to me (CS and electronics major), but the real kicker is the indirect powering (such as pistons powering the piston below them, or repeaters jumping signals through blocks).

Circuits are easy when all on one level, but when you try to squeeze it into a small space, you can end up creating inadvertent feedback loops and burning out torches.

That is the real strength of redpower wires in that it removes the majority of indirect powering problems as the wire has to go directly to the block it powers and won't show as connected if it isn't powering it, but the logic gates are OP and the mod discourages learning how to make redstone circuits properly.