More realistic pumpkins/hardcore pumpkins

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
ThatOneDude

More realistic pumpkins/hardcore pumpkins

Post by ThatOneDude »

I've always found it annoying that whenever you find pumpkins naturally, or even grow them from seeds, however you get them, they always come carved. Which makes no sense.
So, I though of a quick something that would be easy to implement-
When you find pumpkins, (or you grow them) They come uncarved. These are just called "pumpkins" and you can't turn them into jack'o'lanterns. But, you can craft a knife with, say, made with a stick and a piece or iron, then you can put the knife in the crafting bench with a pumpkin to get the current vMC pumpkin, or, in this case, "carved pumpkin" which you can then turn into a jack'o'lantern. (You get the knife back similar to the way you get buckets back while making cake.) The knife also does a little bit of damage when used on mobs.

What do you think?
Quality comes before quantity.
Stormweaver

Re: More realistic pumpkins/hardcore pumpkins

Post by Stormweaver »

'sup. There's already a large thread for 'hardcore' discussions.

And this would probably be ignored there too. I can't see the point; jack o' lanterns are a novelty item now anyways. It would make sense - but that doesn't mean it belongs here.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

How is this more "hardcore", this just seems like another 1/2 a step to get a jack'o'lattern, which IMO is just an over glorified torch anyways.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

What? Are you saying that somewhere, there are pumpkins which grow uncarved? My eyes have been opened...

Seriously, though, there really isn't any need for this. This is minecraft, not real life, after all...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

This has been suggested a few times to Notch and Jeb, and they have non-committedly said that it wouldn't be in 1.0, but I haven't seen much beyond that. I'd say there is likely a mod for it already though.

I'm not sure I see a need for it beyond aesthetic reasons, and you have orange wool if you wanted that, or just change your texture pack to have orange melons.

I see your logic, it's odd that some pumpkin vandal carves your pumpkins before you see them, but I'm not sure an uncarved pumpkin would be that useful, beyond jack'o'lanterns and pumpkin helmets for endermen, pumpkins only are useful for snowmen (although their usefulness is debatable), and all of these require a carved pumpkin.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Just...change your texture pack to make regular pumpkins look uncarved and then make an intelligent assumption that, in the process of crafting it into a jack o' lantern, you carve it. The same way you deal with turning trunks into wood planks on a crafting table even through you don't need a handsaw item to use in the recipe, or sticks and rocks into useful tools without needing a bag of magic fairy dust for the recipe.

O_O

edit: I'm starting to see where FC is coming from with suggestions like these
Last edited by Magmarashi on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCIENCE!
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

All my pumkins are uncarved because I changed the texture pack. Much easier that way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote: edit: I'm starting to see where FC is coming from with suggestions like these
Hehehe. Now, extrapolate that sensation to six months from now, with it being a project you're personally involved with ;)