Cats or dogs?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

Cats or dogs?

Cats
56%
Dogs
44%

Total votes: 41
The great randomo

Cats or dogs?

Post by The great randomo »

They say that the world is divided into dog people and cat people, so which are you?
I personally am a dog person.
If you have any videos or pictures backing up your view, please post them.
Last edited by The great randomo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
DaveYanakov

Re: Cats or dogs?

Post by DaveYanakov »

The world is divided into two kinds of people. Those who believe there are only two kinds of people and those who do not.

I like dogs quite a lot but I prefer cats for my own home. Larger breeds of dog can get destructive even when decently trained and cost a fortune to maintain. Smaller breeds almost universally suffer from small dog syndrome which I can't put up with on a 24/7 basis.
Better is the enemy of Good
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Cats. Definitely cats. My attitude to dogs is similar to FC's official attitude to wolves. *Strokes cat*
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

as someones signature says here:
The world has 10 types of people
Those that understand binary, and those the don't
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

1.This is not a dichotomy, but a trichotomy.
2.I like both cats and dogs equally, despite my mother forbidding cats in our home.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
The great randomo

For me, the amount of loving you get out of a dog is a million times that of a cat. I walk my dog at every possible occasion, and he loves it. In my opinion, cats are for people without that much time, and dogs are for those who really care.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I have a dog and a cat, and here's my opinion:

Cats are way cuter, but dogs are way more lovable.

Cats have this glare that brings to mind a spoiled member of royalty being held hostage and demanding better service from the kidnappers.

Dogs, on the other hand, are always happy to see you, love to play, and let you know when somebody's at the door. Not that it's particularly helpful, but it's a definite contrast with a cat's general apathy.

I also once heard somebody say that if kittens grew up into dogs, they'd be the best pets ever. I thought that was pretty amusing.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
M!C

Post by M!C »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Dogs, on the other hand, are always happy to see you, love to play, and let you know when somebody's at the door.
My problem with dogs is that the above only applies if it's your dog or the dog at least knows you quite well.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I don't like dogs at all and my girlfriend hates em. I do like one breed: Jack Russells are a wonderful breed of dogs. I thoroughly hate Labradors, probably my least favorite dog.

Cats are tons of fun, but the constant whining and disregard for property means I'll probably never keep one.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

M!C wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:Dogs, on the other hand, are always happy to see you, love to play, and let you know when somebody's at the door.
My problem with dogs is that the above only applies if it's your dog or the dog at least knows you quite well.
So true. I don't know how many times as a 5-7 year old I'd be minding my own business when a dog up to twice my size jumped out and starting barking in my face. The owner's all too common 'oh, he's just being friendly' did not improve matters.
Gilberreke wrote:Cats are tons of fun, but the constant whining and disregard for property means I'll probably never keep one.
Well, ok, the 'whining' (if by that you mean constantly miaowing for attention) depends on the cat, though in my experience most cats aren't too bad. I'm not sure what you mean by 'disregard for property'. Yes, they sleep on furniture. And? So do dogs. In my experience, actually, dogs are far more disrespectful of property than cats. Another point: how many times do you hear someone shouting 'Tiddles! Give it back! Give, give, I said give...'
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I am known in may circles as the Morv-kitty. Take from that what you will. *licks hand, washes face*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

pi4t wrote:Well, ok, the 'whining' (if by that you mean constantly miaowing for attention) depends on the cat, though in my experience most cats aren't too bad. I'm not sure what you mean by 'disregard for property'. Yes, they sleep on furniture. And? So do dogs. In my experience, actually, dogs are far more disrespectful of property than cats. Another point: how many times do you hear someone shouting 'Tiddles! Give it back! Give, give, I said give...'
A cat ruins a nice couch just as quick as a dog, but you can't train it not to do that. If your cat decides the rug is for peeing, any amount of litter boxes and cleaning and sprays is not going to fix that. Some cats are really messy eaters. Cats bring home tons of dead mice, rats, moles, birds, etc, during the summer. If they get access to a garbage bin, they WILL tear it open and cover your floor with garbage.

So yeah, cats are better than dogs, but don't tell me cats can't be a handful. My previous cat was really nice, but the new one does ALL of the above.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

My cats jump up into my lap whenever they're able and cuddle. Last night one of them made a nest out of my coat because it smelled like me. I don't see where this 'cats don't love you' stuff comes from
Better is the enemy of Good
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

DaveYanakov wrote:My cats jump up into my lap whenever they're able and cuddle. Last night one of them made a nest out of my coat because it smelled like me. I don't see where this 'cats don't love you' stuff comes from
Yeah, true, cats are just as affectionate as dogs, I don't get that point either.
Mintdragon

Post by Mintdragon »

Cats. I love cats.

'Nuff said.<3
Peace, love, and music.
Mints = happiness.
Minion of Herobrine.
I am a Sapling!^_^
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Well, if we're posting videos....

She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

joetalbot1 wrote:1.This is not a dichotomy, but a trichotomy.
2.I like both cats and dogs equally, despite my mother forbidding cats in our home.
That's my same situation. I love cats but have never been able to have one of my own. Thus, I voted dog since it's all I've had. (Although, honestly, my favorite pet has always been my cow I had as a kid.)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Dogs can feed themselves, cats can't
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:Dogs can feed themselves, cats can't
I don't even know what this means. Is this a reference to dogs eating their own feces?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Cats don't need to feed themselves; they're smart enough to know that being cute tends to get them something, regardless of where they are. Hence the trail of presents I get to wake up to most mornings (and the time I woke up to find a large slab or half-eaten pork left next to my cat, curled up on my chest).

And when they can't, there's always mice, birds, a small rabbit (though how it got it through the cat flap is a mystery to this day)...you get the idea.

It's safe to say I'm a cat person. They require a lot less maintenance, take up less room, and can survive a few days on their own if needbe.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Considering the number of feathers I found around my old house, I'm pretty sure they can easily feed themselves. :P

I voted for cats, although I like dogs too.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
The great randomo

Would I be right in thinking that the type of people who post here are looking for something less maintenance rather than full on?
Demonwolf002

Post by Demonwolf002 »

I'm honestly surprised that there are more cat people than dog people. I personally am a dog lover mostly because I can just get them to open up to me better. But I have seen some very nice cats that I have liked as well. I will end with this something I have heard before from a few people who have owned animals for a very long time. Cats are our prisoners but dogs own us.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
I don't even know what this means. Is this a reference to dogs eating their own feces?
It was a reference to something I told a 5 year old girl. That if she didn't feed her dog the dog would eat her cat.
pi4t

Post by pi4t »

Demonwolf002 wrote:I'm honestly surprised that there are more cat people than dog people. I personally am a dog lover mostly because I can just get them to open up to me better. But I have seen some very nice cats that I have liked as well. I will end with this something I have heard before from a few people who have owned animals for a very long time. Cats are our prisoners but dogs own us.
Huh? Are you sure you got that one the right way round? A fairly good part of why I prefer cats is that they could leave if they wanted to. They could survive as strays, or find another family, and if they wanted to, they would leave. Dogs...well, we've sort of bred them to a point where they instinctively can't go back into the wild willingly. In other words, a dog stays with you because it has to, while a cat stays with you because it likes you and wants to. I know which I prefer.