Cable or hanging rail car

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DasKinder

Cable or hanging rail car

Post by DasKinder »

Just found an epic site in a map, but was thinking, "It would be nice if there were cable cars or something similar to span the gaps that were there". Now you may say, "whats wrong with the mine cars and rails", but it doesnt seem to fit here. I love the elevator and it would make this place awesome if there was something similar but that went horizontally.

Anywho, thats my idea for the time being...

P.S. oh, maybe add cables to the iron/steel age bit
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: Cable or hanging rail car

Post by sargunv »

How is this different from minecarts?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

How is this different to the elevator-based suggestions/modifications that we're not allowed to post?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

@sargunster - Mainly, it would be something you stand in, not have to get in necessarily, and that it would be on a rope/cable (e.i. something that you cant or is very hard to walk on).

If you could walk on the cable/rope for this idea steve could pick up tight rope walking XD

@stormweaver - if such post exists its labeled wrong and there for I didnt find it in my searches, therefore if this idea is off limits, I didnt know
Urian

Post by Urian »

I believe he's referring to this post from the suggestion forum rules:
FlowerChild wrote:Some ideas that are so common, they are bound to earn you scorn (and a locked thread) if you repost them:

-Diamond bladed saws.

-Ropes/Pulleys pulling Platforms sideways.

-Steam power.

Also, in general, you should search the idea subforum to see if your idea has already been proposed before posting it. Generally, repeat suggestion threads are shut-down.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

The only way to get this suggestion working without spending way too much resources on it would be to only allow travelling parallel to the world's axis (is there a plural?). That can be done via minecarts already, so we would be talking about a purely aesthetic addition here -> not going to happen.
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

Been a while since I've been on here, so I guess i should of checked to see if there were changes in the rules....

Anyways, M!C put it in a clear fashion, so I thank him on being clear on the reasons why/why not.

But I still think it would be something desired, but I guess not

Edit: well now theres a post that covers more key words so people dont perpetuate... right?
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

but how the fuck would the rope push the 10000 pound elevator?
If u don't like my post, I'm sorry...
I'm trying to e optimist.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

GabLann4 wrote:but how the fuck would the rope push the 10000 pound elevator?
Oi, language.

The question you should be asking is 'how does solid rock float in the air'. Idiot.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

M!C wrote:world's axis (is there a plural?)
Sure is, you're after "axes" (pronounced ax-SEES, unlike more than one axe, which is ax-ES).
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Take it down a notch guys. There's really no need for all this aggression.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Doesn't sound to bad to me . It would require mechanical power and span mountains. there are some legalistically problems thought.

1) how would would you connect the wire from tower to tower.
2) How would you handle angles. ( like going up or Down ).
3) Would the user control direction and speed. Or is it like a ski lift and you just jump on

other than those I would like to see this . It would be relay cool to travle over ocean and up mountains. Very cool.
Spoiler
Show
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

BigShinyToys wrote:Doesn't sound to bad to me . It would require mechanical power and span mountains. there are some legalistically problems thought.

1) how would would you connect the wire from tower to tower.
2) How would you handle angles. ( like going up or Down ).
3) Would the user control direction and speed. Or is it like a ski lift and you just jump on

other than those I would like to see this . It would be relay cool to travle over ocean and up mountains. Very cool.
Spoiler
Show
1) I was thinking about that too
2) for simplicity's sake it would be horizontal (super taught)
3) user controlled, how not sure but only because if you are on the far side how do you tell it to go back, unless its ski lift style. stable speed
Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Gluttony cant consume enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Don't really see the point in it being user controlled, it can only do forward and reverse. Much easier to just hit a button at the terminal and zoom off instead of holding down W.
SPACEDUDE360000

Post by SPACEDUDE360000 »

Use minecarts.
Why do something if you can get someone else to do it for you?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

(oh, random halfway decent idea incoming)
...instead of having a bunch of new blocks, why not the ability to place mine-carts without needing another block under them. Maybe a new rail type out of steel. What do you guys think of the idea?
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

walker_boh_65 wrote:(oh, random halfway decent idea incoming)
...instead of having a bunch of new blocks, why not the ability to place mine-carts without needing another block under them. Maybe a new rail type out of steel. What do you guys think of the idea?
I like it. As there is no block underneath the track nothing could walk across making them great for moat setups.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

The rail way would still need a new block type, or editing of the old one, and, with BTW now linked with forge, there really isnt an ID limit any more. I was just thinking something fancier looking than the mine car, not to mention mobs on track are irritating.

Anywho, not to steal from another developer but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w53FcDY-u7Y

So it kinda has been made, but I would prefer it use the hemp rope since i am already putting resource towards that
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DasKinder wrote:The rail way would still need a new block type, or editing of the old one, and, with BTW now linked with forge, there really isnt an ID limit any more.
FALSE
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DasKinder wrote:The rail way would still need a new block type, or editing of the old one, and, with BTW now linked with forge, there really isnt an ID limit any more.
That's texture IDs, not block IDs
DasKinder

Post by DasKinder »

FlowerChild wrote:
FALSE
So it would have the limit per mod still? Because how magusunion make it sound in his video, you can go above and beyond the block ID limit by quite a bit, he had 3-4 mods that had similar if not more block IDs than BTW running at the same time
Greed cant get enough
Lust cant seek enough
Pride cant need enough
Envy cant be enough
Wrath cant hate enough
Gluttony cant consume enough
Sloth cant care enough

... are you enough?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Some mods, like RP(2), use various methods of putting several blocks on the same ID. The problem with that is it will turn into a computer resource hog very quickly and lag your world like *beeep* so it's not likely to be implemented in BTW.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

the_fodder wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:(oh, random halfway decent idea incoming)
I like it. As there is no block underneath the track nothing could walk across making them great for moat setups.
And it would look really cool to have floating tracks
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DasKinder wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
FALSE
So it would have the limit per mod still? Because how magusunion make it sound in his video, you can go above and beyond the block ID limit by quite a bit, he had 3-4 mods that had similar if not more block IDs than BTW running at the same time
and he probably had <10 IDs left. Minecraft has a total of 256 of the things, vMC uses ~125 leaving a good ~130 left over. Which is just about enough room for BTW 4 times over.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

If FC is being so conservative with block IDs then he must have BIG plans for future development of this mod....
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?