Better than Powered Carts!

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.

What do you think railways need most?

A.) I think that an improved powered minecart would be good enough.
4%
B.) I think the ability to connect minecarts together would fix the system.
22%
C.) I think we need a new engine and a way to connect the carts.
39%
D.) I think that minecarts need a total overhaul, with new tracks and carts.
22%
E.)I don't think that minecarts need to be fixed at all.
12%

Total votes: 49
djhag93

Re: Better than Powered Carts!

Post by djhag93 »

Wouldn't this be a good place to start for what you have all been suggesting?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/270 ... _hl__train
FlowerChild wrote: Now, the question is: do you or do you not slip some baby laxative in Grandma's cake?
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

That mod was already suggested and shot down due to the fact it doesn't really fit the feel of BTW, and we don't want 50 extra trains with zeppelins thrown in, we just want 1 or an overhauled powered cart or connected carts D:

Although if you are talking about coding, then ya that would be a good place to start :3
djhag93

Post by djhag93 »

Oh yeah of course I didn't mean the mod itself. Like you said it is way outside the realm of BTW. I just meant that the guy making this mod had mentioned something about working on connecting the carts. Figured it was pretty much what everyone here was suggesting :)
FlowerChild wrote: Now, the question is: do you or do you not slip some baby laxative in Grandma's cake?
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Seems there's a bit of turtle interest in this thread. So may I suggest putting it in the golden feature suggestions thread? :3
Coz FC says he really can't be bothered reading this sub forum anymore >.<
Ichi16

Post by Ichi16 »

i really like the idea of a better system but the question is would it fit in to our current age?
i think there might be a new age that this feels better in but i think that powered boats might come before this but then a powered boat would be a lot less useful.
back to lurking
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Ichi16 wrote:i really like the idea of a better system but the question is would it fit in to our current age?
i think there might be a new age that this feels better in but i think that powered boats might come before this but then a powered boat would be a lot less useful.
Yes We have metal we have tools we should be capable of making carts connect with chain quiet easy. As for an engine we have Strong metals (That can take high pressure steam) and a hammer to make flat steal for a boiler . we Don't have welding But we could make rivets to hold the steel together .

To sum up I think we are high enough in level to make a Better powered cart. By adding a boiler some pipes and a steam powered piston.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Woot just found this:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/960 ... te-912011/

Has a few extra minecart related blocks, but most importantly it fixes the glitchy physics *and* powers up powered minecarts.

Note even though the first bit of the OP is very outdated, scroll down a bit and you see new stuff + the 1.7.3 download for the mod.

Only problem is, while this mod is designed to work with the forge, it overwrites a forge file (pc.class), and a BTW file (yl.class) :\
He must have designed it for an older version of forge, those conflicts shouldn't exist. Hopefully it might get updated soon though :D
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

MINECARTS Mk. II *Latest Update: 9/1/2011* wrote:Q: Why haven't you added Linking Minecarts to your proposal?

A: I didn't add them for the same reason why I didn't include "x" feature in the last question. Linking Minecarts would be cool, but it's an extra feature. For more info on Linking Minecarts specifically, click here and here.
This is lacking in one major area.(for me at least this might be fine for others.)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Well if minecart physics get fixed then linked carts arn't necessary coz carts won't be phasing through each other or bouncing off each other. And if minecarts get linked fixed physics arn't necessary for the same reason. Don't really need both.

Also if carts don't bounce off each other you can create the illusion of a linked train provided everything is going the same speed (ie, by not using booster rails). Although getting them to start moving all at the same time might be difficult.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

The problem isn't if it fits our Age, but the time needed to work on something like that.
To make it simple, the minecart code is a fuckin' mess, and to do anything new and correctly made would need to rewrite most, if not all, of it.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< you seemed to have missed the last few posts.

If that mod can be made compatible there's no need for FC to do it. And since it's using forge there's a pretty good chance of that happening.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

No, I saw them. But this is the suggestion section of the BTW forum, so it's quite obvious that the original poster wanted FC to do something like that.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

grimper12341 wrote:Well if minecart physics get fixed then linked carts arn't necessary coz carts won't be phasing through each other or bouncing off each other. And if minecarts get linked fixed physics arn't necessary for the same reason. Don't really need both.
It is still hard to work with powered carts (if the physics are fixed) and linking them would fix that .
E.g. stand looking at cart A click it with a chain the click cart B with the other end of the chain Carts would then be linked and you can push or have then pulled with powered carts.

And In the vote Most people want to link them and a decent engine to pull / push them in trains around the rail network they built with out those kinda messed up booster rail pieces.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

But the OP was 3 pages ago we have moved on o.o
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, but my point is still the same. Minecart code is a mess, and FC won't touch it.
And "if minecart physics get fixed" is quite unlikely to happen.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< it's already happened. Only problem is that mod hasn't been updated to work with the latest version of forge, since it seems to overwrite a new forge file. And there's also a file conflict with BTW.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

From a modder, yeah.
From Notch, I doubt it.
The last "fix" regarding the minecart system was just to remove the old glitches and collision, and add the booster rail.
Once again, FC stated several times (can't remember if it was on the forum or during our private talks) that he would never put a finger near the minecart code, so I just wanted to let you guys know that, so you know that even if you come up with a good idea, it's not gonna interest FC.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Yes it's from a modder...so what >.>

If it gets updated it solves the problem the OP and many others were having, and FC will never even need to consider implementing it (not that he would have in the first place, like you said).
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Looks like we can't understand each other. So I'll step out of this topic, before I got pissed off.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Sorry about the argument, Batto.

To clarify, this thread is more about organizing everyone's thoughts on what minecarts need to be better, not to argue whether FlowerChild should implement it or not. If he does, he does. If he doesn't, it's to make time for something even better.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Necro, but meh.

For anyone who was interested in this, or the MkII minecart mod I linked here, I found another mod that does the same thing but is updated.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/701 ... forge-smp/

It has the same physics tweaks which makes powered carts much more useful, and there are plans to make carts link up in the near future. And it's made on forge so it's compatible :D
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I have an idea that actually should be very easy to implement.
What if you could insert another item into the powered minecart, in addition to coal?
A material that is harder to get, such as netherrack or glowstone dust.
When you insert it, the minecart would be a lot faster!
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well speed on normal minecarts is an issue mainly in SMP due to straining the server (and causing rapid loading and unloading is not too performance friendly even on good pcs even in SSP)

But if the powered cart cannot push player occupied carts that problem seems to be gone, so this is technically possible.

There are 2 main issues though.

Why exactly do we need powered minecarts? Especially with BtW tweaks to empty minecart momentum via booster rails. I just can't see a use for them that doesn't feel artificial (i.e. just to make them useful)

And the second issue still remains the ugly minecart code. Even if FC suddenly didn't mind poking around, there is the opportunity cost to consider.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, here's a possible use:

Sending storage carts further than the loaded chunks radius. If you try this with booster rails iirc they stop when entering the unloaded area, and if you go near causing it to load the chunk, it is stopped (or was that changed and momentum is maintained?)
If this is still the case this is the single use I can think of for powered carts, since they wouldn't stop, being self propelled and all.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< you guys really should read at least a few of the more recent posts before opening your mouth. It's already been made clear FC won't be implementing any of this, not when there's several mods that already do it. If you want this kind of stuff ingame, just download the mod I linked in my last post, that's the reason I posted it. And if you have suggestions, you'd be better off posting them in the Railcraft thread.

And who's more likely to implement this stuff: FC in his better than wolves mod, or a guy who's specializing in rail and cart modification?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I don't think very much of your poll, sorry to say, it's highly skewed in a direction I don't like and there isn't an option for me at all.

I really don't understand why people seem to think that minecarts should become trains. To me they should be what they are, an aid to mining, not primarily a transportation system and certainly not a locomotive! For this reason, I think the powered minecart should be abolished. We have powered rails now which can replicate the same function. I would like to see the two other carts merged into one, a minecart with a chest inventory which you can also ride in.

When I mine, I lay rails leading back to my warehouse. When my inventory is full, I place a minecart with a chest, fill it up, send it and continue mining. Now admittedly I run a mod which groups ores into seams, so they are really tough to find but when you do find them, you have to build a proper mine to get them rather than just endlessly strip mining until you have what you want.

I'm sorry to say, I think mods which add modern real world functionality to minecraft are only interesting as a novelty and generally are very overpowered or completely remove an aspect of the gameplay.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't appreciate just how necro'd this post was - I'll let a mod decide if this post should be deleted
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.