Sleeping bag

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
sirmackemis

Sleeping bag

Post by sirmackemis »

I have what I think is a funny idea for an item in BTW: a wolf-sleeping bag. It would be placed and slept in similar to a bed, but would fill the character's armor layer with a wolf-pelt texture and the character model would be in the sleeping stance on the ground. It would feel more appropriate going on extended journeys with a sleeping bag than a full bed in one's inventory.
Katalliaan

Re: Sleeping bag

Post by Katalliaan »

I don't see the point. We've already got the bed, and your suggestion is purely cosmetic - something the player would only see when they use the bed, and then only for a few seconds until the next morning.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
sirmackemis

Post by sirmackemis »

You're right, and I feel the same way. It doesn't effect function at all as you said, but I was interested to see if people thought having this over a bed for traveling sleep was worth the other item. It could also function as decoration, like a pelt for your floor or as something you could wear while awake.

Honestly though, I'm willing to admit that's kinda grasping for straws and that this really isn't that great of an idea XD
"My sanity is a rather tenuous thing at best, so I tend to cling to its tattered remnants rather dearly." FlowerChild
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I've briefly considered a bed-roll or something similar in the past, but given beds are fully portable, there really doesn't seem to be much point to something like that.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

The problem with beds is by simply placing it in the open and sleeping you will defenitlely get attacked. A sleeping roll I think would maybe have a reduced chance of being attacked at night and maybe would be an item that would not be placed, just right click with it, so you wouldn't need a new block. I just can't imagine it would feel very balanced.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

That is a good point. At current, there is no way to safely sleep in the open. Granted, in the Minecraft world, that would be a ludicrous idea anyways, but sometimes it's nice not to have to build a small bunker when the night hits on those long journeys away from home.

Though, it's entirely understandable if that seems too overpowered.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Speltz

Post by Speltz »

KWilt wrote:At current, there is no way to safely sleep in the open. Granted, in the Minecraft world, that would be a ludicrous idea anyways, but sometimes it's nice not to have to build a small bunker when the night hits on those long journeys away from home.
If I remember right, I think you can sleep out in the open on an inverted L shape of blocks at least 2 high, and without a step for the creatures to get to you. If the bed covers the entire top, I think you're good. It's been awhile since I tried, so I'll double-check it now.

Edit: Yup, worked like a charm, although I made mine 3 blocks high. I'll post a pic..
Spoiler
Show
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Ah. I entirely forgot about the good ol' 'hover bed'. I learned that from Vech's tutorial map, and haven't used it since.

I'll have to remember that, now instead of playing hell with my dirt bunkers like usual.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I've briefly considered a bed-roll or something similar in the past, but given beds are fully portable, there really doesn't seem to be much point to something like that.

Beds are fully portable yes, but what if you do not want to reset your spawn?

Also if you break the bed and die, back to the original spawn point with you!

So there just might be a place for a bedroll if it doesn't reset your spawn..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I've briefly considered a bed-roll or something similar in the past, but given beds are fully portable, there really doesn't seem to be much point to something like that.

Beds are fully portable yes, but what if you do not want to reset your spawn?

I hadn't thought of that. That's a great point. Although Somnia is forge compatible now. ;D

I was thinking something that would balance this could maybe be that the bedroll wouldn't let you sleep the whole night.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/162 ... e-support/
this mod has all of your problems fixed (i have it running on my minecraft) and it is fully compatible with BTW, so why go to the trouble of adding the features to another mod?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Beds are fully portable yes, but what if you do not want to reset your spawn?

I was about to suggest the same thing acutally. I think it's a good idea.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

somnia has an option as to whether you want to reset your spawn or not!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, but I don't think you can use somnia just for that. It will also make you wait until the world updates through the night. I think.... can you?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

jorgebonafe wrote:Yeah, but I don't think you can use somnia just for that. It will also make you wait until the world updates through the night. I think.... can you?
Yeah, you will have to let Somnia simulate the night, but the extra time isn't too noticeable if you've got a decent computer, and it'll also let your automated machinery work while you sleep instead of simply setting the time to early day.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Katalliaan wrote:Yeah, you will have to let Somnia simulate the night, but the extra time isn't too noticeable if you've got a decent computer, and it'll also let your automated machinery work while you sleep instead of simply setting the time to early day.
Well, I have to disagree, it is pretty noticeable. I have a decent computer, and it took several minutes to sleep through the night. Eventually I just ended up removing somnia, waiting that time every time I sleept just didn't seem worth it...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I've never really understood why people sleep at night in minecraft. Isn't nightime supposed to be the fun part?

I use somnia - my PC isn't brilliant (I only get 8x simulation speed on a good day) but it gives me a bit of time to drink some tea, get a cigarette, and plan what to do next. And in the meantime, i know my crops and farms are all working overtime for me. At worst, I can tab out to check the forums and stuff while it works.

Hopefully MJ'll fix up the coding so that it doesn't have to simulate graphical stuff as well. That should speed somnia up for everyone.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Sure, Somnia fixes SOME of the problems for us, but I only use BTW and don't really want to mess around with other mods. Sure I can use a bed as I have done up to this point but a bed that doesn't change your spawn, and is more portable (maybe it could go in one of the armor slots or something) would be awesome. I get the feeling I "need" one every time I go out looking for wolves.
If it's properly integrated into the tech tree and doesn't change your spawn location I doubt it'd replace the beds functionality all together but instead would work as a good addition to your adventure equipment.

That said, it's not something we need, but I would welcome it as a nice addition to BTW.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

It would be quite cool to have a sort of "bedroll" that could be carried and simply right-clicked to sleep.
That said coolness isn't really the point of BTW. The no spawn reset could be useful though.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Not reseting the spawn is a realy good idea : I APROVE :
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Plus it being an item and not a block is a plus..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
sirmackemis

Post by sirmackemis »

I like what this idea has become. It's much more legitimate with the features you guys are talking about.
"My sanity is a rather tenuous thing at best, so I tend to cling to its tattered remnants rather dearly." FlowerChild
SPACEDUDE360000

Post by SPACEDUDE360000 »

I think there might be sufficient reason to add this if it makes it so you don't get attacked in the dark (or reduced chance plus not setting the spawn point would be useful). Also you would need to kill wolves for their pelts!
Why do something if you can get someone else to do it for you?
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

SPACEDUDE360000 wrote:
I think there might be sufficient reason to add this if it makes it so you don't get attacked in the dark (or reduced chance plus not setting the spawn point would be useful). Also you would need to kill wolves for their pelts!
Actually, that would make sense. Fur would be better suited for this kind of item than most other things. Maybe it could be crafted out of companion cubes or their parts? (Or does that cross some line? ;D)
For a little more justification to this idea, this would be very helpful when looking for strongholds once we get to 1.9. Long trips wouldn't be quite as tedious, though you would probably want to be MUCH more careful about dying, since it wouldn't reset your spawn.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

PuppetRebel wrote: Actually, that would make sense. Fur would be better suited for this kind of item than most other things. Maybe it could be crafted out of companion cubes or their parts? (Or does that cross some line? ;D)
For a little more justification to this idea, this would be very helpful when looking for strongholds once we get to 1.9. Long trips wouldn't be quite as tedious, though you would probably want to be MUCH more careful about dying, since it wouldn't reset your spawn.
But the point is you would be able to choose if you want to use the Bed or the Bed roll so if you want to respawn just use a bed as normal. But when you just want to sleep use a bed roll. Simple .