Reinforced cement

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Thalmane

Reinforced cement

Post by Thalmane »

Now that cement has been pushed further down the tech tree I feel that maybe now is the time that I can propose this idea. IRL to reinforce cement construction workers lay down rebar and a grid like pattern and then pour the concrete on top of it. Now that we have iron bars in the game maybe a system could be implemented where the player builds a mold, fills it with iron bars, the pours cement on it. The purpose for this better cement is blast resistance, but I'm certain it could also be used in some multi block machines or even as part of a recipe for something that would need a stronger material then just stone. The blast resistance part is my main idea for suggesting this. Stone does a half decent job for the most part but after about the tenth massive hole I've had to fill in due to those silly dongs exploding prematurely I feel that the need for some block that falls between stone and obsidian for blast resistance would fill a real need for the game.
GabLann4

Re: Reinforced cement

Post by GabLann4 »

Maybe like cement blocks?
Humm...
We already have obsidian, and if u have gone to the neather to get the soulsand, u have to have obsidian.
I think that it should have another use...
If u don't like my post, I'm sorry...
I'm trying to e optimist.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Ooh, this I like. Have cement flows replace any iron bars they encounter with a reinforced cement block and extend the normal flow past it.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would require a block id. I'm not so sure that obsidian_v2.00 (because thats what this idea boils down to) is worth a block id. Just use obsidian. Lava isn't that hard to get...
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

AmishGoat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would require a block id. I'm not so sure that obsidian_v2.00 (because thats what this idea boils down to) is worth a block id. Just use obsidian. Lava isn't that hard to get...
The problem is, what you said boils down to is "at the most advanced stage of the game, lava isn't that hard to get." What Thalmane is proposing is that there is something you can get even easier than obsidian, for more advanced protection earlier in the game. Cobble has a resistance of 30 and obsidian a resistance of 6000. It would be reasonable to have something in between.

I didn't mean to be rude, but I do feel this suggestion has some possibility. Although as AmishGoat said, it, as everything, must be weighed against whether it is worth a block id.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

Cement is not blast prof, try blowing up a cement wall :D
But maybe crafting recipes, any ideas?
If u don't like my post, I'm sorry...
I'm trying to e optimist.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Hmm if this is idea I'm fixing to explain is possible a new block ID may not be required.

All the colored wool takes only one block id. Damage values of the wool determines the color. Is it possible to add a hook to change smoothstones damage value and increase it's blast resistance?

As far as the "just use obsidian" comments go... Why don't you build a 40x1x4 high obsidian wall then. I'm proposing an idea that would take less time then obsidian, but in turn it is more resource heavy and NOT completely blast resistant. just more resistant than smoothstone.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Sorry, I don't see it. Unless the stone block is easy to modify, I just don't see it. And all the wool blocks have the same damage value, so not sure if this is even possible. And only one smooth stone is destroyed in any direction by a blast from tnt, reinforced concrete would have to be either blast proof or not.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Um TNT destroys a 3x3x3 area of smoothstone actually which leaves lots of room for damage reduction.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

AmishGoat wrote:Sorry, I don't see it. Unless the stone block is easy to modify, I just don't see it. And all the wool blocks have the same damage value, so not sure if this is even possible. And only one smooth stone is destroyed in any direction by a blast from tnt, reinforced concrete would have to be either blast proof or not.
Herping AND derping, simultaneously. Takes skill :) For the record, I do like this idea, and who knows, FC might add something like it after cement gets a solidified (no pun intended) spot in the tech tree :D
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

BinoAl wrote: Herping AND derping, simultaneously. Takes skill :) For the record, I do like this idea, and who knows, FC might add something like it after cement gets a solidified (no pun intended) spot in the tech tree :D
I can be mildly entertaining to argue with a hur dur ;)

The damage resistance bit is just the immediate use idea. The other half is that as steves technology progresses the different block/mulit block setups will be heavier. Since this mod is based on real world physics having a stronger foundation is necessary. This of course would also put cement as a requirement for the tech tree which is good considering that right now it's just a by product that you either use or don't use.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

The more I think about this the more I like it. I like the idea of being able to be certain my house is protected without having to build underground.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Thalmane wrote:
As far as the "just use obsidian" comments go... Why don't you build a 40x1x4 high obsidian wall then.

As someone who has hidden the 4x4 tower of a mob farm in a monolith from 2001 and ending up said 'eff this! 3/4th scale is close enough' after 1296 lava buckets. I FULLY ENDORSE THIS IDEA.

Think it is totally crap that the majority of blocks have the same value for blast resistance wiki.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

BinoAl wrote: Herping AND derping, simultaneously. Takes skill :) For the record, I do like this idea, and who knows, FC might add something like it after cement gets a solidified (no pun intended) spot in the tech tree :D
Yeah, that was bad, I wasn't really thinking. I have much skill in that regard it seems. Also, I didn't mean damage value, I meant blast resistance, so excuse the massive English fail there please. And now after that embarrassing moment I will excuse myself...
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

as an added idea the cement could also be non pickable by endermen since each block would be linked together with the iron bars. I dont know what blocks endermen can't pick up but everything i like to build with they can completely destroy
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

They will be able to only pick up dirt, sand, gravel, flower (R+Y), mushrooms(B+R), TNT, cactus, clay, pumpkin/jack-o-lanterns, melon and mycelium. Currently the list is much larger, because the changes are in the 1.9 pre2+ releases.