Equivalent Exchange

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Equivalent Exchange

Post by BinoAl »

I know I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but I'm enjoying equivalent exchange. Just got a destruction catalyst, and had a ton of glowstone dust at that point. :D I'm starting to think this + BTW could be my new default mod setup, but i still have to see how well they play with each other :D I'm not sure if the transmutations will hurt the value of items, or make the progression a lot easier. Who has tried just these 2 together?
Katalliaan

Re: Equivalent Exchange

Post by Katalliaan »

I haven't tried just the two together, however once you get a hopper with a wicker filter and a philosopher's stone, you can start generating sand by filtering gravel (gives 1 sand, 1 flint) and then transmuting the flint (2 flint = 3 gravel). At least it's a fairly low-level material, so it'd take you a long time to exploit it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

BinoAl wrote:I know I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but I'm enjoying equivalent exchange. Just got a destruction catalyst, and had a ton of glowstone dust at that point. :D I'm starting to think this + BTW could be my new default mod setup, but i still have to see how well they play with each other :D I'm not sure if the transmutations will hurt the value of items, or make the progression a lot easier. Who has tried just these 2 together?
I've been playing with those two IC2, and Buildcraft. I find EE to be far too powerful with respect to BTW (and IC2/Buildcraft to be honest, although less so).

Steel tools are basically useless compared to even cheap mining items, even taking into account their glowstone cost (a couple glowstone aggregators makes that a non-issue really).

Some of the charm of BTW is in the processing it takes to turn raw materials into useful ones, in EE it is often done automatically for you. This isn't a slight against EE itself, there is so much going for it, but it sort of negates much of the reason for doing things with BTW, I think.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Mason11987 wrote:
BinoAl wrote: Some of the charm of BTW is in the processing it takes to turn raw materials into useful ones, in EE it is often done automatically for you. This isn't a slight against EE itself, there is so much going for it, but it sort of negates much of the reason for doing things with BTW, I think.
I get your point, but i feel like btw doesn't ever really touch on ores or mining, so ee wouldn't have any adverse effects in relation to btw. The biggest thing with ee is that you have a lot more uses for high tier ores, and that you can turn ores into stone, and vice versa. The only real issue i can think of offhand is the decrementation of the value of items, which would leave less motivation to automate. However, most of the automations worth creating (Dung, hemp, and concentrated hellfire come to mind) wouldn't even be touched by EE, and are mostly wood-centric, which also isn't really touched by ee. The soulforged items would be next to useless though, assuming you get dark matter tools before soulforged items.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Even to start EE takes allot of effort, endermen aren't the easiest mobs to kill. I went about a minecraft week without seeing one. and when I finally did I had to contend with it's teleporting plus the other mobs in the area.

Getting the philosopher's stone isn't as easy as mining anymore you have to find a uncommon mob as well.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote:Even to start EE takes allot of effort, endermen aren't the easiest mobs to kill. I went about a minecraft week without seeing one. and when I finally did I had to contend with it's teleporting plus the other mobs in the area.

Getting the philosopher's stone isn't as easy as mining anymore you have to find a uncommon mob as well.
wear a pumpkin, stay close enough to them that they don't despawn and spend the night killing any other mob that tries killing you. Come sunrise, half the endermen nearby give you pearls, with very little danger. Or you can use a bucket of water. It feels wrong, but it works.

That a single enderpearl is equivalent to 2 gold bars (of half a diamond) is great though, once you're used to hunting the things. very, very useful for getting started at least.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
Brethern wrote:Even to start EE takes allot of effort, endermen aren't the easiest mobs to kill. I went about a minecraft week without seeing one. and when I finally did I had to contend with it's teleporting plus the other mobs in the area.

wear a pumpkin, stay close enough to them that they don't despawn and spend the night killing any other mob that tries killing you. Come sunrise, half the endermen nearby give you pearls, with very little danger. Or you can use a bucket of water. It feels wrong, but it works.

That a single enderpearl is equivalent to 2 gold bars (of half a diamond) is great though, once you're used to hunting the things. very, very useful for getting started at least.
Pumpkins are still pretty rare. You have to find them in nature or in a treasure chest that's going to take some time.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:

Pumpkins are still pretty rare. You have to find them in nature or in a treasure chest that's going to take some time.
true. On up upside, you could just be shy...most endermen don't look twice at a guy who clearly doesn't want to make eye contact.

They're kinda like women. Except for the pumpkin bit.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I don't have the link on me at work, but the EE developer has stated that after their modding hiatus, they intend to do a lot of rebalancing to the EE recipes, including making the Philosophers stone harder to make.

Also Endermen are apparently even harder to kill in 1.9+ since they dodge arrows and teleport out of water, have more health and do more damage.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
Brethern wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:

true. On up upside, you could just be shy...most endermen don't look twice at a guy who clearly doesn't want to make eye contact.

They're kinda like women. Except for the pumpkin bit.
So now we have two mobs that are like women,

this is just great. Now not only do I have to worry about one blowing up at me because I didn't see it I now have to concern myself with ones that attack me when I look at them the wrong way.

Minecraft is starting to become real life. If real life had green sploady things.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Brethern wrote:So now we have two mobs that are like women,

this is just great. Now not only do I have to worry about one blowing up at me because I didn't see it I now have to concern myself with ones that attack me when I look at them the wrong way.

Minecraft is starting to become real life. If real life had green sploady things.
Green phallic sploady things. I think that's an important part of the bizarre recipe.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It has been my experience that men are far more likely to blow up with little provocation than women.
Better is the enemy of Good
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DaveYanakov wrote:It has been my experience that men are far more likely to blow up with little provocation than women.
In bed. :D

OT: I just realized i can transmute 8 lapis lazuli or obsidian into a lapis lazuli block, and 4 lapis lazuli blocks into 1 diamond. Just spent a good half hour mining obsidian, transmuting it to lapis lazuli blocks, and getting diamonds :D
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:It has been my experience that men are far more likely to blow up with little provocation than women.

OT: I just realized i can transmute 8 lapis lazuli or obsidian into a lapis lazuli block, and 4 lapis lazuli blocks into 1 diamond. Just spent a good half hour mining obsidian, transmuting it to lapis lazuli blocks, and getting diamonds :D
32 obsidian -> diamond? at 15 seconds per obsidian, it'd take you half an hour to get two[/i] diamonds :|

Please say you automated it somehow. Otherwise my palm might strike my face at a level which no palm has ever struck before.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:

32 obsidian -> diamond? at 15 seconds per obsidian, it'd take you half an hour to get two[/i] diamonds :|

Please say you automated it somehow. Otherwise my palm might strike my face at a level which no palm has ever struck before.

I'm almost certain there are EE items which mine obsidian MUCH faster then that.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:

Dark matter pick :p I'd never even bother mining obsidian with anything else :p I can mine 3 obsidian at once, and takes maybe 2-3 seconds to mine
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:

Dark matter pick :p I'd never even bother mining obsidian with anything else :p I can mine 3 obsidian at once, and takes maybe 2-3 seconds to mine

You already have a DM pick? Fair enough >.< Didn't realise it was that fast though. Hmm.

My first DM is normally spent on a watch of flowing time so I can abuse the hell out of aggregators :p once you have ~16 glowstone aggs, having them all run at 10x speed is just stupid amounts of diamond. Then you make more, then get more, then make more...Not that mining for diamond is bad or anything.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:

You already have a DM pick? Fair enough >.< Didn't realise it was that fast though. Hmm.

My first DM is normally spent on a watch of flowing time so I can abuse the hell out of aggregators :p once you have ~16 glowstone aggs, having them all run at 10x speed is just stupid amounts of diamond. Then you make more, then get more, then make more...Not that mining for diamond is bad or anything.

Ooh, thats not a bad idea. Looks like i know what im doing with my dm :D
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
BinoAl wrote:

Ooh, thats not a bad idea. Looks like i know what im doing with my dm :D

nested quotes ftw