Foothold Trap

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
KriiEiter

Foothold Trap

Post by KriiEiter »

Also known to many as a "Bear Trap." This device uses pressure to activate two "jaws" that clamp down on anything unlucky enough to wander too close to it.
Spoiler
Show
Here's a basic one for you to get an idea of a possible look for it, if you've never seen one.

Now, why would we want such a device? First and foremost, it would be a way to protect your home from invading nasties (perhaps it even prevents Endermen from teleporting to you if they're clamped down?).

Another use may be to hold passive mobs in place. This would be useful for keeping adult mobs next to each other for breeding, yet still allowing the baby to wander off/be separated from the adults easier.

A third possible use would be to clamp your pesky wolves down (maybe also prevents wolves from teleporting to you?). We don't want our little puppies getting too comfortable in their lush stimulation and light free enclosure, now do we?

Feel free to discuss possible ways to fit this in to the tech tree, why it's a horrible/good idea, or anything else that relates to this.
Triskelli

Re: Foothold Trap

Post by Triskelli »

While I do like the idea of a specific trap, there's a way to catch the human-sized mobs already:

GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

I can think of lots of traps u can make with this... :D

And this is just perfect to the tech tree because its made of steel!

Maybe made on the anvil and activating redstone when it catches something!

Brilliant!
If u don't like my post, I'm sorry...
I'm trying to e optimist.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

GabLann4 wrote:I can think of lots of traps u can make with this... :D

Brilliant!
Oooh I hadn't thought of incorporating redstone with this. If it were to send out a signal when it closed, then you could have it set off something to also potentially kill what it caught (like pistons to suffocate it).

Or it could grab a baby, then send out a signal which sets off a timer that measures how long it takes a baby to mature and be ready for slaughter. Diabolical.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

KriiEiter wrote:
GabLann4 wrote:I can think of lots of traps u can make with this... :D

Brilliant!
Oooh I hadn't thought of incorporating redstone with this. If it were to send out a signal when it closed, then you could have it set off something to also potentially kill what it caught (like pistons to suffocate it).

Or it could grab a baby, then send out a signal which sets off a timer that measures how long it takes a baby to mature and be ready for slaughter. Diabolical.
love ur idea man! u can try it on all the mods because they will like it!
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Actually, I'm not convinced about how useful this would be. Let's run through your suggestions...

1.) Protect your home.
---See my linked video about the door-pressure plate trap. I'm sure I could whip up a smaller trap using trapdoors if you want to catch pigs, wolves, or spiders.

2.) Hold mobs in place.
---This would only work like how you're talking if the trap has a chain as well. In which case, why don't we implement a chain/leash instead?

3.) Keeping your wolves put.
---Make sure to right click your wolves to make them stay in place. This idea IS suitably malicious, but I can't help but feel it's a little redundant. Those door traps can send a redstone signal too! =]
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

Triskelli wrote:Actually, I'm not convinced about how useful this would be. Let's run through your suggestions...

1.) Protect your home.
---See my linked video about the door-pressure plate trap. I'm sure I could whip up a smaller trap using trapdoors if you want to catch pigs, wolves, or spiders.

2.) Hold mobs in place.
---This would only work like how you're talking if the trap has a chain as well. In which case, why don't we implement a chain/leash instead?

---Make sure to right click your wolves to make them stay in place. This idea IS suitably malicious, but I can't help but feel it's a little redundant. Those door traps can send a redstone signal too! =]
the thing is that it would stick things to the ground and not obstruct them!

After making that creeper trap, how would that help u to kill it without u having to face the mob or just destroying the whole thing?

I need this to my traps.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Triskelli wrote:Actually, I'm not convinced about how useful this would be. Let's run through your suggestions...

1.) Protect your home.

2.) Hold mobs in place.
How about Nether mobs? Perhaps a new EnderDragon lands on one? Endermen are too tall to be caught with that door trap as well.

Spiders apparently produce baby spiders (potential string factory?).

Seems like it's a lot of work to lure mobs to that door trap as well.

Don't think I'm trying to be harsh on you, you have some valid points, and I want this to be discussed. Discussion is the fuel of innovation.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

We need more people online to discuss about this
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Actually on looking again I think the baby spiders are unconfirmed. So feel free to disregard that for now.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

GabLann4 wrote:We need more people online to discuss about this
BTW forum, not BTW chatbox. If you want to chat, go to the #btw channel on irc.esper.net or on this webpage:

http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=btw
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

Gilberreke wrote:
GabLann4 wrote:We need more people online to discuss about this
BTW forum, not BTW chatbox. If you want to chat, go to the #btw channel on irc.esper.net or on this webpage:

http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=btw
I meant that almost all the guys who work here are sleeping because they have to work or go to school, so maybe tomorrow we can discuss it better...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

This would actually be more fun to have on SMP, provided it had low profile as not to be seen easily, hehe.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

GabLann4 wrote:I meant that almost all the guys who work here are sleeping because they have to work or go to school, so maybe tomorrow we can discuss it better...
What the hell is this sleep you speak of?

on a more topical note, I kinda like the idea. Simple, yet effective.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

We have to hold on to this until tomorrow, so that FlowerChild can see this and discuss...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

GabLann4 wrote:We have to hold on to this until tomorrow, so that FlowerChild can see this and discuss...
Or we could continue to evaluate and expand on the idea ourselves. Kinda why the forum exists tbh.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

GabLann4 wrote:We have to hold on to this until tomorrow, so that FlowerChild can see this and discuss...
Flower doesn't need to see any ideas. If an idea is good enough, the community will generally be aware of it, and a turtle will pass it on. Simple, and FC doesn't need to be bothered with it.

Honestly, there's no need to discuss about the need to discuss. Either post some discussion about a suggestion, or don't post at all.

Now, back to this suggestion.

I almost wish there was a reason to capture hostile mobs too. Seeing as how they're more dangerous, perhaps there should be a reward for capturing one alive as opposed to just killing it? Then again, I feel like it might be a nightmare to code anything like that. And I'm pretty sure FC doesn't want to have to modify any existing mobs.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

KriiEiter wrote:
Flower doesn't need to see any ideas. If an idea is good enough, the community will generally be aware of it, and a turtle will pass it on. Simple, and FC doesn't need to be bothered with it.

Honestly, there's no need to discuss about the need to discuss. Either post some discussion about a suggestion, or don't post at all.

Now, back to this suggestion.

I almost wish there was a reason to capture hostile mobs too. Seeing as how they're more dangerous, perhaps there should be a reward for capturing one alive as opposed to just killing it? Then again, I feel like it might be a nightmare to code anything like that. And I'm pretty sure FC doesn't want to have to modify any existing mobs.
Yeah, but there are few people wh work on the forum to discuss it...

Alternative recipe!

S= Steel
B= Brodhead arrow
P= Pressure Plate
R= Redstone

Anvil:
B B
SPS
SRS

The pressure plate would activate it and make it close, and the redstone would make wires be attached to it, make it mechanical, and the brodhead would grab the mob! A new use to the brodhead! That also doesnt change the age of wood!
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

uh oh, you just broke one of the rules, no recepies!

other than that this is an interesting idea
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

Rugaard wrote:uh oh, you just broke one of the rules, no recepies!

other than that this is an interesting idea
Im not making the topic, im just discussing about it...

And thanks! :D
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

1.) Protect your home.

2.) Hold mobs in place.

1. Door traps are ugly and take up 5 blocks of space.

2. It could easily enough be bolted/glued/whatever to the floor...don't see why a chain is necessary.

3. Wolves teleport to you if you get attacked near them, even when they are sitting down and encased in solid rock. They can teleport up quite a few layers actually, I've had issues with my wolves teleporting up to me from underground. I could prevent that by putting torches absolutely everywhere in the wilderness around my house, but again, ugly.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I think that's a great idea, that fits well into BTW.
Also, I think that traps could use 3 changes:
-When a creature steps on the bear trap, it suffers damage (3 points?).
-Creatures on bear traps do not despawn, and cannot move/teleport. Skeletons still can shoot you!
-It wouldn't be made from broadhead arrows, just normal broadhead. Although the recipe really isn't important.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
mybumhurts

Post by mybumhurts »

yeah i think this is a really good idea. i like setting loads of those door traps around my world and then going to see what I've caught a couple of days later(usually nothing) but thats not the point i like the idea of it and having a a trap like the one your describing would be really good.
i regret my user name.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Don't wait on me to discuss ideas. As a rule, I ignore them and only chime in when I feel like it.

Often times, even when I do post about them, it's without stating an opinion...like now.
GabLann4

Post by GabLann4 »

itamarcu wrote:I think that's a great idea, that fits well into BTW.
Also, I think that traps could use 3 changes:
-When a creature steps on the bear trap, it suffers damage (3 points?).
-Creatures on bear traps do not despawn, and cannot move/teleport. Skeletons still can shoot you!
-It wouldn't be made from broadhead arrows, just normal broadhead. Although the recipe really isn't important.
I never said broadhead arrows, just brodheads...