Drugs in minecraft.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Brethern

Drugs in minecraft.

Post by Brethern »

I'm sure everyone here already knows that drug mods like more tool/armor and ores are a dime a dozen. 90% of these mods are made by kids trying to act cool and do something that involves drugs.

Most of the drugs that people are familiar with cocaine, heroin, marijuana do have medicinal benefits when used properly. So I can see that if implemented properly they could add a new level to minecraft instead of having to carry food around with you to heal you could just carry a shot of heroin with you to temporary heal a serious wound. The effects would last for only a few minutes which in game time is hours. Until you can heal yourself properly. Using to much causes you to be addicted so you lose health at a rate unless you get your fix.

I'm just wondering if the above makes any sense?
HavokSCOUT

Re: Drugs in minecraft.

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Sounds like Fallout
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Sounds like Fallout
Pretty much yeah. I really like how fallout does it, you can create whole characters that exist just to get their next fix.
screally

Post by screally »

Brethern wrote:cocaine, heroin... do have medicinal benefits
I lold
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

screally wrote:
I lold
Heroin was made from morphine in order to get a better pain killer. It just happened to be really addictive, in steve's era they wouldn't really understand addiction so they would use it.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Brethern wrote:Heroin was made from morphine in order to get a better pain killer. It just happened to be really addictive, in steve's era they wouldn't really understand addiction so they would use it.
Made by the Bayer corporation in fact. The guys who made Aspirin.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

screally wrote:
I lold
Oh, ignorance...

Anyways, I dunno. I've never really thought about drugs in Minecraft. Just seems silly. Though, in the aspect of the Fallout-esque addition (in that they do more than just get you drugged up), I suppose maybe it'd have a use. Though, still not seeing any reason something just as silly, but not as controversial, could be implemented.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Eh, to be honest I like that MC is family friendly (despite having zombies skeletons and whatnot), and thus I think drugs would not be very suitable in it..
I find MC brilliant because of its simplicity and minimalistic approach,so an alternative means of heal well, does it add that much? Because it's not long before the whole thing becomes cluttered and bloated if you keep adding stuff like this.

And yeah fallout (in it's early incarnations mainly) is one of my top favourite games. As if it wasn't apparent ;)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Eh, to be honest I like that MC is family friendly (despite having zombies skeletons and whatnot), and thus I think drugs would not be very suitable in it..
I find MC brilliant because of its simplicity and minimalistic approach,so an alternative means of heal well, does it add that much? Because it's not long before the whole thing becomes cluttered and bloated if you keep adding stuff like this.

And yeah fallout (in it's early incarnations mainly) is one of my top favourite games. As if it wasn't apparent ;)
I think it's pretty obvious that I have a different vision for minecraft survival than most. I don't want magical potions and enchantments. I want down to earth believable ways to do things.

Example TNT. You combine sand and gunpowder. First off TNT does not use gunpowder and sand has nothing to do with it. I'd also not have it that I have to kill green dongs to get gunpowder.

What I'd do is add in the ability to grind charcoal into powder then combine that with crushed iron (a nitrate.) to create powder, that would be formed with paper and string to create powder sticks that are combined with wooden planks. to make a powderkeg.

That example is using what's in vanilla minecraft already with the need to add in any new ores or minerals. I also provided a IC2 feature iron dust that has another use before a macerator.

Then on to the narcotic Grow marijuana plants and cocoa plants for weed and cocaine. Add in poppies or just change red flowers to be poppies to get opium that you refine to create herion, that provides healing items that have adverse effects if depended on.

The only reason why drugs are considered a no no is because the world has what they once were corrupted beyond measure.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Brethern wrote: I think it's pretty obvious that I have a different vision for minecraft survival than most. I don't want magical potions and enchantments. I want down to earth believable ways to do things.

Example TNT. You combine sand and gunpowder. First off TNT does not use gunpowder and sand has nothing to do with it. I'd also not have it that I have to kill green dongs to get gunpowder.

What I'd do is add in the ability to grind charcoal into powder then combine that with crushed iron (a nitrate.) to create powder, that would be formed with paper and string to create powder sticks that are combined with wooden planks. to make a powderkeg.

That example is using what's in vanilla minecraft already with the need to add in any new ores or minerals. I also provided a IC2 feature iron dust that has another use before a macerator.

Then on to the narcotic Grow marijuana plants and cocoa plants for weed and cocaine. Add in poppies or just change red flowers to be poppies to get opium that you refine to create herion, that provides healing items that have adverse effects if depended on.

The only reason why drugs are considered a no no is because the world has what they once were corrupted beyond measure.
Don't get me wrong, I love gritty and realisting settings, it is just that minecraft was never one, so why try turn it into one?

Also there is a fine line between realism and functionality. Striving to be realistic is a double edged knife because where do you put the stops? MC wouldn't be fun if you had to eat 2 times/day, drink water 5-6,take a leak every once in a while etc, then needing to retrace all 5000 years of human knowledge evolution single-handedly,from sticks and stones to the information age.

And while you feel that line can reasonably be drawn at a point, that point may be too much or too little for someone else. So unless you want to make something for your own use, it can be pretty hard to go down that path.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Brethern wrote: I think it's pretty obvious that I have a different vision for minecraft survival than most. I don't want magical potions and enchantments. I want down to earth believable ways to do things.

Don't get me wrong, I love gritty and realisting settings, it is just that minecraft was never one, so why try turn it into one?

Also there is a fine line between realism and functionality. Striving to be realistic is a double edged knife because where do you put the stops? MC wouldn't be fun if you had to eat 2 times/day, drink water 5-6,take a leak every once in a while etc, then needing to retrace all 5000 years of human knowledge evolution single-handedly,from sticks and stones to the information age.

And while you feel that line can reasonably be drawn at a point, that point may be too much or too little for someone else. So unless you want to make something for your own use, it can be pretty hard to go down that path.
My idea of realism is that it stops when it approaches the hardcore fallout NV level. You have to eat when hungry, drink when thirsty and sleep when tired. All the other realistic functions are pointless.

In terms of retracing 5000 years of tech, that would not be the case, remember humans had to invent everything. Steve on the other hand has that knowledge he knows exactly what he needs to do to make what.
screally

Post by screally »

KWilt wrote:
screally wrote:
I lold
Oh, ignorance...

Anyways, I dunno. I've never really thought about drugs in Minecraft. Just seems silly. Though, in the aspect of the Fallout-esque addition (in that they do more than just get you drugged up), I suppose maybe it'd have a use. Though, still not seeing any reason something just as silly, but not as controversial, could be implemented.
Med student here (so I particularly loved your assumption).

Sure heroin is an effective opiod. And if you had said diamorphine I'd have said, sure. But heroin is when it is used for recreational use, and there are pretty much no reasons I'd say that it's a useful thing in that sense. To this end, if the OP had said diamorphine for it's medical benefits, then I'd agree it could be useful, but there are plenty of other medications which are much more benefitial, and also the example list provided doesn't really go in that direction.

Cocaine on the other hand can produce effects that would be considered useful in a game-situation, but again, just because it can do something doesn't mean it should be used, for example, punching someone can be very effective at knocking them out, but it's rarely used for anaesthetic purposes. There are much better, safer alternatives which can provide the same, or better relevent effects.

EDIT: On re-reading of the post, I acknowledge OP wanted realistic medicines, and most illicit drugs are simply variations of some of history's longest used ones (no surprise they are the most primitive so most side effects).

Marijuana, sure (although it's medicinal properties have only really recently been useful, mostly in anti-sickness), cocaine, maybe, but it wasn't extracted to be used as a local anaesthetic (again, relative use?) till the late 1800s (around the time the car started appearing) and heroin is a derivative of morphine, and that was from opium, so why not just stick with that?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

screally wrote:
KWilt wrote:
screally wrote:
I lold
Oh, ignorance...

Med student here.

Sure heroin is an effective opiod. And if you had said diamorphine I'd have said, sure. But heroin is when it is used for recreational use, and there are pretty much no reasons I'd say that it's a useful thing in that sense. To this end, if the OP had said diamorphine for it's medical benefits, then I'd agree it could be useful, but there are plenty of other medications which are much more benefitial, and also the example list provided doesn't really go in that direction.

Cocaine on the other hand can produce effects that would be considered useful in a game-situation, but again, just because it can do something doesn't mean it should be used, for example, punching someone can be very effective at knocking them out, but it's rarely used for anaesthetic purposes. There are much better, safer alternatives which can provide the same, or better relevent effects.
Brethern wrote:90% of these mods are made by kidstrying to act cool and do something that involves drugs.
I hope I'm not the only one aware of the irony here
The name isn't really an issue I'd have no problem using diamorphine in place of heroin. I am also aware that there's other more beneficial things to use, my reasoning for choosing these is this. What would be the easiest to produce in steve's situation? Sure I could create a mod that shows everyone how to refine smack from opium but that's not really the point. It's the idea that steve could make it from what he has that's important. It's also realistic enough that it could be done in a dire situation.

Or 200 after a nuclear war.
Brethern wrote:90% of these mods are made by kidstrying to act cool and do something that involves drugs.
I hope I'm not the only one aware of the irony here[/quote]Heh I said that intentionally. It's a consensus that there's waaay to many of those kind of mods floating around.
screally

Post by screally »

Heh I edited out the last part after I re-read your posts about realism.

Again, heroin isn't the easiest form of analgesic available from the poppy line, opium is, followed by morphine, so you'd logically want to use those (if you wanted realism)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

screally wrote:Heh I edited out the last part after I re-read your posts about realism.

Again, heroin isn't the easiest form of analgesic available from the poppy line, opium is, followed by morphine, so you'd logically want to use those (if you wanted realism)
Now that I think about it. That's probably a good idea opium could be the base that can be used but steve could refine it to morphine at a later date.

Granted given minecraft's timescale it's going to be interesting to fit in.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

screally wrote:Med student here (so I particularly loved your assumption).

Well, I was only taking what you gave as a response, to be honest. You 'lol'd at the notion of opium and cocaine having medical benefits. Which, of course they do. Never made any proposition of more effective or advisable alternatives, so I just had to assume you were some kid who was raised straightedge and taught that all drugs turn you into Hannibal Lector.

I do apologize, though. The internet just makes me hate those people.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
David367th

Post by David367th »

I thought something like First Aid tools, like bandeges,
X= nothing
P=Paper
XXX
PPP
XXX
Equals bandeges..
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

HavokSCOUT wrote:Sounds like Fallout

Hey, if I can make amphetamine out of cow farts like in Fallout, I'm in.
Steve will have to suffer for it.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

Isn't Minecraft already a drug, of sorts? So when you talk about drugs in minecraft, I think of recursion.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

joetalbot1 wrote:Isn't Minecraft already a drug, of sorts? So when you talk about drugs in minecraft, I think of recursion.
I went nearly three months before I was arsed to start playing again. Mainly because the mods I use together makes playing a challenge.