Chicken farm 1.8

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
the_fodder

Chicken farm 1.8

Post by the_fodder »

Since 1.8 makes chickens the go to passive mod (meat, feathers, eggs) I decided to play around with different ways to keep them and kill them.

Still working on a lava blade so I can skip the caldron, but a dispenser on a two repeater pulser will restock your live chickens with out a problem IF you can keep it stocked

I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud of my latest find. Maybe it will work with wolves.
Spoiler
Show
despite all my rage I am still just a chicken in a cage
What you see is two stairs facing each other separated by running water. Second level is 3 rows of steel bars making a grid. One the chickens get their head between the bars and stairs they stop moving put keep producing eggs.
They do stack but you only need to really make one cage.
Spoiler
Show
but the water is the only thing keeping them in their cages so don't remove it or you will have to hunt them down. The fence helps when loading as they don't always fall right into a cage. Image
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
duartemad

Re: Chicken farm 1.8

Post by duartemad »

I like this!
I really want to see what people will do when 1.9 comes with animal reproduction, for now the chicken farm is one example...
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Wow, I didn't actually think you could get it to look like a hen battery farm, neat setup, scary how similar it is to a real world one.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Worked on it a little more, now it looks like a proper hen house.

hen house
Spoiler
Show
BUILD
Spoiler
Show
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Nice. I'm working on automating a system for when BTW comes out to have one cage of live chickens just for egg production, with the eggs being split two ways-- half to storage for baking and half to a [dispenser -> fire -> saw -> wash] grinder for feathers/cooked chicken. It'll be nice to have hens that don't despawn, forever supplying me with their brood~

That is a damn nice henhouse though.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
echo off

Post by echo off »

damn that's some nice work! i like the kfc logo you put in there too lol
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

found a guy on Minecraftboards that figured out how to cook chicken (lava blades don't work) took his outline and cleaned it up.

Pictures are cut away showing only needed parts.

Can't wait to see what people come up with using BTW automation.

Spoiler
Show

Dispenser for refilling the waterway Suspended by signs so eggs can fall into second waterway.
Diamond block on extended sticky piston connected to a button button on face of machine to dispense a few birds at a time.
lit netherrack,Cobwebs to hold the chicken while they burn. (removed glass blocks for better view)
Orange wool is BTW hopper.

wiring for dispenser and piston.
button is to reset the pulser if it burns out.
switch retracts block to complete circuit.
repeater set to 3 (slow) or 4 (fast) to slow the pulse so the dispenser can read signal.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

As this was brought up in another thread I thought I would update what I have found out about livestock In 1.8. As chickens. they despawn when they are trapped in one position too long so the hen battery design is right out. I have modified the hen coop to use wood blocks instead of stairs and replaced glass panels on the side with block as eggs were getting stuck on the ledge. Also moved the dispenser above the glass because if you hit your chicken with enough eggs they tend to die.

EDIT:cleaned up, original post was on phone.
Last edited by the_fodder on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagusUnion

Post by MagusUnion »

the_fodder wrote:As this was brought up in another thread I thought I would update what I have found out about livestock In 1.8. As chickens. Despawn when they are trapped in one position to long the hen battery design is right out. I have modified the hen coop to use wood blocks instead of stairs and replaced glass panels on the side with block as eggs were getting stuck. Also moved the dispenser above the glass as if you hit your chicken with enough eggs they tend to die.
Fie... always with the technical difficulties......

I also realized that Notch never implemented 'cooked eggs' in the game, either... strange, because you'd figure that'd make it into the game at some point, lol...
I'm not trying to come off as strong as I do. It's hard for me to personally see how I'm affecting others (even in real like).. and it makes me seem more of an ass than I want to be, so I apologize if you find what I say 'a bit rough'...
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

I almost wish Notch went with the animal eggs so we could automate farms for every animal this way.

Anyone make any changes to their chicken farms after the 1.9 pre-release?
Magmarashi

Screw Automation, do it by hand!

Post by Magmarashi »

Here we have a nice little Chicken Breeding Area. Isn't it Lovely.
Spoiler
Show
Step One in our Chicken Goodness Extraction Process is to turn on the flushing system and open the Flush Gate.
Spoiler
Show
Step Two occurs down here in Chicken Processing Area 1. Where the little Darlings are dumped into a processing Chute and Locked Down
Spoiler
Show
Step Three is to Engage the Chicken Chunking and Molding System! In just a few short seconds, your Chickens are Reduced to only the Tastiest Bits and most Useful Parts!
Spoiler
Show
SCIENCE!
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lovely :)
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

You can easily convert this to only flush babies, wait for them to grow up, then Process them.
SCIENCE!