better than wolves in vanilla?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The great randomo

better than wolves in vanilla?

Post by The great randomo »

does anybody know if FC has intentions to get this mod in to the vanilla game? it certainly fits in with the rest.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
jorgebonafe

Re: better than wolves in vanilla?

Post by jorgebonafe »

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but just a guess, unless FC and Notch are one and the same O.O....... This is impossible....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

That's kinda self-contradictory - if BTW was in vannilla, it wouldn't be vannilla anymore. Kinda like adding cocoa powder and extra sugar to vannilla ice-cream; however you do it, it's not going to be vannilla at the end of it all.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I think what he meant is if Notch would incorporate BTW mod on vanilla MC. Which, technically, would make BTW vanilla, but that is not gonna happen....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

jorgebonafe wrote:I think what he meant is if Notch would incorporate BTW mod on vanilla MC. Which, technically, would make BTW vanilla, but that is not gonna happen....
I know that, but simply saying 'no' probably would have lead me to sound a lot meaner than I should in the situation.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
M!C

Post by M!C »

jorgebonafe wrote:I think what he meant is if Notch would incorporate BTW mod on vanilla MC. Which, technically, would make BTW vanilla, but that is not gonna happen....
I think the question asked is if FC would be in favour of his mod being added to vanilla.

My guess is 'probably no, seeing what mojang has made out of other mods integrated in vanilla' (e.g. pistons).
Urian

Post by Urian »

I seem to recall Flower saying at some point "Yes, if they paid me and gave me credit". Mind you, that was a long time ago (I'd say a few updates before the water wheel) so I might remember wrong and he might very well have changed his mind.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

We all know Mojang might give credit for integrating a mod (they were very vocal about where pistons came from). Not that the community at large will remember it. Not that they'll pay a cent.

I doubt Notch integrating BTW will ever happen.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

I think a better question is: Do we even want BTW to be in vanilla MC? FlowerChild would lose a lot of freedom of where he can go with the mod. The Companion Cube will have to be scrapped, for one, and possibly the whole wolf dung thing.
In fact, if I recall correctly, FC mentioned this in that one interview he did a while ago.
So yeah, I'm not really sure if I would even like BTW to be implemented in vanilla MC, even if it were possible.

Just my €0.02, though.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I want to say I remember the same thing as Urian but don't remember if he was serious in the context it was given or more around the time people were asking if he would join mojang. Unless notch uses FC direct code or adds all content as one lump sum Fc would have as much say in the matter as when CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet was bought out. I am not saying that would happen or should.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

M!C wrote:
I think the question asked is if FC would be in favour of his mod being added to vanilla.

My guess is 'probably no, seeing what mojang has made out of other mods integrated in vanilla' (e.g. pistons).
What do you mean with e.g. pistons. The piston mod was not better then the pistons in vMC.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

RHCPepperfan wrote: What do you mean with e.g. pistons. The piston mod was not better then the pistons in vMC.
Nah, they were better in the mod imo. They could launch entities, which was my single favorite thing about them
M!C

Post by M!C »

BinoAl wrote:
RHCPepperfan wrote: What do you mean with e.g. pistons. The piston mod was not better then the pistons in vMC.
Nah, they were better in the mod imo. They could launch entities, which was my single favorite thing about them
This and Millionaire is being put in as we speak. I hope they get closer to the original in that case...
Urian

Post by Urian »

It's hardly fair to say that Millenaire is being put in, Notch has talked about adding villages since... infdev I think. At least way before Millenaire was ever released. Granted, if the villages would work in a fashion similar to Millenaire then that would be great.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:It's hardly fair to say that Millenaire is being put in, Notch has talked about adding villages since... infdev I think. At least way before Millenaire was ever released.
I didn't know that, you're obviously right then.
Urian wrote:Granted, if the villages would work in a fashion similar to Millenaire then that would be great.
That's where I'm coming from.
The great randomo

So the chances are that the mod won't be in the game without the entire wolf hate thing being removed, which FC definitely won't want.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

For god's fuckin' sake, there's no wolf hate, I'm sick of hearing that.

FC questioned the design decision of making wolves, which were supposed to be a cool thing. It could be, if they were anywhere near smart. Because you would expect them to be clever. But for them to be smart, Notch/Jeb would have to spend hundred of hours to make a good AI, pathfinding, etc. When there's only two people working on a game, is it worth it to stop developing everything else, to make wolves ? Obviously not, since they didn't. They just used the same basic and dumb AI that mobs have. And we ended up with wolves as dumb as ... dung?

When FC opened a discussion about that, 95% of the people (mostly stupid kids) came to say stuff like stfu wolves are so great etc. So when he started this mod, he included the companion cube, as a joke. And it became the mascote of the mod.
And now people who don't take time to think about that think it's wolf hate.

It's not.

And no, I don't think that he would fuck the opportunity to be included in Minecraft (if his other conditions are respected) just to keep the "wolf torture".
The great randomo

Battosay wrote:For god's fuckin' sake, there's no wolf hate, I'm sick of hearing that.

When FC opened a discussion about that, 95% of the people (mostly stupid kids) came to say stuff like stfu wolves are so great etc. So when he started this mod, he included the companion cube, as a joke. And it became the mascote of the mod.
And now people who don't take time to think about that think it's wolf hate.

It's not.

And no, I don't think that he would fuck the opportunity to be included in Minecraft (if his other conditions are respected) just to keep the "wolf torture".
Ok, sorry for Any offence I am have caused. I have only had minecraft since 1.7.3 and I hadn't been following this mod for long before so I didn't know the roots of it, so I assumed it was wolf hate, but clearly, it's not.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, sorry about the previous post, I'm not in a good mood today.
Nothing against you though ;)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Battosay wrote:Yeah, sorry about the previous post, I'm not in a good mood today.
Nothing against you though ;)
Poor Battosay... *offers cake*

In a round about way, though, that's a good display of why it would never work. There's certainly no wolf hate in the mod - it's really a (mildly sarcastic) tribute to what wolves could have been. But the average person cannot see that. I wonder if Notch sees it, but that's besides the point. Notch went through all the effort to put wolves in originally because he was star struck and Peter Molyneux asked him for it. Bad reason to add a feature to your game. Half-assing it, is even worse. FC's just helped to round out another incomplete feature, among other things, and it's just too damned original to be included in Notch's Minecraft.

Of course, that originality is why FC's copyright claim is relatively enforceable, but that's another discussion entirely....

(This half-asleep ramble brought to you by having to be at work at 6.30 am. On a Sunday. )
The great randomo

But does FC Want it to be in vanilla? I mean some mod developers go so far to put up petitions to get them in vanilla (not that many are successful). Does he want that?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

The great randomo wrote:But does FC Want it to be in vanilla? I mean some mod developers go so far to put up petitions to get them in vanilla (not that many are successful). Does he want that?
At the risk of putting words in FC's mouth, I'd say he does not have an interest in it.