Godhood SMP Server - In Planning

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves

How should god cycling work?

Gods are changed every week or 2, nothing else changes
14%
Gods are changed every week or 2, and citizens move to a new location
14%
Gods are changed every week or 2, and the map is reset
No votes
Gods are persistent until the story plays itself to an end, then the world and gods are changed
71%

Total votes: 21
BinoAl

Re: Godhood SMP Server - In Planning

Post by BinoAl »

Triskelli wrote:Heh, just being able to place signs, spawn creepers, and rummage through people's stuff should be enough to spawn the same level of discord. Also interesting would be the ability to log in as different people, but that's WAY too griefable if the same powers were given to someone else who didn't have my particular brand of humor.
http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/fun-ad ... 1060.6295/
Hm, i hadn't thought about it this way. Instead of social engineering, you would be more of a god of chaos. Maybe like Loki? Invisibility could be interesting, especially for a god who likes causing trouble :) I'll definitely look into it :)
joetalbot1 wrote:I think that you should use the clay soldiers mod to simulate citizens, cause it makes you feel more like a god.
But clay soldiers don't understand the concept of worshiping a god to empower him, they can't build monuments, and they can't build on to the story. Also, there's enough people interested that we can have actual players instead of clay soldiers
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

I'd love to play a citizen, if there's still room for more.
screally

Post by screally »

I'll throw my hat in to this.

(Any chance of a release date :D)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I PM'd about a server mod that might be useful for the gods.
Last edited by Katalliaan on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Katalliaan wrote:I PM'd about a server mod that might be useful for the gods.
It's almost a guarantee that's making it in >:) It's just too perfect. Triskelli sent me a pm about it, too.
screally wrote: (Any chance of a release date :D)
Once bukkit and the neccesary plugins update, I'll start getting it set up. Once it is, ill create a new thread to handle the storyline (since gods will post what they did in the style of the godhood forum game) and to whitelist people who are interested. It will start as a test, and the number of people online at once will probably be limited to 10 (15 if i don't ever go in game, just use the server console). If it keeps popularity for a week or so without dying down too much, I'll start renting a server so it can be up 24/7, rather than the limited time i can run it on my computer.
Xetian

Post by Xetian »

I'd love to throw my hat into the ring for any of the roles. How exactly are the gods going to be credited with our monuments though? Do you need to credit them each time or is there some plugin that can reward them base on stuff we do?
FlowerChild wrote: Lol! Dude, I don't think any of our lives would look too good if a random 9-second clip were grabbed as an illustration ;)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Xetian wrote:I'd love to throw my hat into the ring for any of the roles. How exactly are the gods going to be credited with our monuments though? Do you need to credit them each time or is there some plugin that can reward them base on stuff we do?
That will all be handled by the gm. There isn't any plugin that directly knows who to reward based on the monument. Based on the monuments, recent events, and amount of people worshiping that god, they will get differing numbers of acts per turn
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Well I'm in I would love to play as a citizen or a god. And you know you could use towny and make each god hold a nation, and the monuments could be towns in that nation. Allowing it so you can track how many monuments each god has. just a thought
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gdnite wrote:Well I'm in I would love to play as a citizen or a god. And you know you could use towny and make each god hold a nation, and the monuments could be towns in that nation. Allowing it so you can track how many monuments each god has. just a thought
I don't want to force players into separate towns, though. I want it all to be based on the favor of the gods, rather than arbitrary borders
MarshalKylen

Post by MarshalKylen »

I'm up for being a citizen if there is space left.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

MarshalKylen wrote:I'm up for being a citizen if there is space left.
I haven't actually been keeping track yet. The number of people online at once will be limited to 15 when my pc is running the server, but ill adjust it accordingly if i go to a hosting service
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

I know this isnt my place to say it but see if diego minds hosting it?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Deepsniper wrote:I know this isnt my place to say it but see if diego minds hosting it?
does diego use a hosting service?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I seem to recall him saying he hosts it off his own computer, although I could be wrong.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
joetalbot1

Post by joetalbot1 »

I suggested that you use clay soldiers because they are meant for wars, they can be very numerous, and are just plain awesome. I do believe that wars between the gods would be more interesting than a peace between gods, as well. What are now "citizens" could be called "false gods", or something.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

joetalbot1 wrote:I suggested that you use clay soldiers because they are meant for wars, they can be very numerous, and are just plain awesome. I do believe that wars between the gods would be more interesting than a peace between gods, as well. What are now "citizens" could be called "false gods", or something.
That's a single player mod, not a bukkit plugin.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

since a lot of people said they kept their 1.7.3 jars, why dont we see if we can start the first on that? If everyone is okay with that
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I originally said I wanted to join as a citizen, but I probably won't have time. So if you have a list of citizens, you can remove me. :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

As most of you know, bukkit is updated for 1.8. However, I'm stuck working and going to school for the majority of my day, so i can't host the server. If i set up the server and set up a dropbox account for it, could someone else host? I can set it up and everything, ive got a decent amount of experience with bukkit, I just can't leave my computer unattended while im at work or school :(
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

perhaps diegokilla would be kind enough to host it for us,
Rataku

Post by Rataku »

This sounds more like an SMP server id love to play on. I've tried a few RP servers but usually they are so strict on the rules that new people ( like me) tend to never seem to get a foot in the door and stay segregated by the community. at least with this sort of deal a citizen could work hard to win a gods favor of sorts :D. and normal servers are just as closed off to new people most times and their is rarely a goal to achieve, other than building the best looking or biggest new thing on the server.

So If their is a bit of space for someone who thought the best thing about history is Mythology, I'd love to come in as a citizen and perhaps down the road try some godhood. but i wouldnt consider godhood till having a feel for the server and its people :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

*shameless bump to find out how things are going*
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

walker_boh_65 wrote:*shameless bump to find out how things are going*
I'm considering paying for a hosting service, but ive gotta get my paypal set up, and to do that i need to set up a checking account. Should be doing both on friday. I'll start setting up the server after that ^.^ Don't worry, this project isn't dead. Just taking a nap ;)
Quesoman

Post by Quesoman »

Hmm... I am interested, let's see how this turns out. I can't promise to be too active, but I'll try to be on occasionally. I am willing to be a citizen or a God, whatever there is need of ;)
Cultures are born and die, but the cheese is immortal.

-A very wise man
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

You can count me in as a citizen, this sounds quite fun.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.