Redstone help

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Xecaquan

Redstone help

Post by Xecaquan »

Hey, all you redstone wizards. I am looking for suggestions on how to power 4 blocks in a square shape that only have one space between them; In the most compact horizontal way possible.

I am posting here on the BTW as I respect the community more than other MC forums.

So to be clear what I am trying to do is power 4 BC pumps that are 1 block apart in a square pattern, with a light block next to one side of the square (actual location on that side doesn’t matter I would rather middle) . Trying to keep it as compact as possible but depth is less of a concern than width, the reason for this is I am going to have 6 of these powered squares connected to a “control” room (so lever activated). I am trying to keep it in the 3 x 3 space for aesthetics, so the wiring will need to be hidden below as well. I’ll refer to the pumps as blocks as they react to restone exactly like block dispensers do.

Model (top down view, height is a single block):

Block – Space – Block
Space – Space – Space – Light Block (or any location on the sides, is an indicator)
Block – Space – Block

The “blocks” and the light block all turn on/off at the same time. I have tried a lot of different ways to do this, even using block dispensers in every way I could and just can’t keep it compact. No issue if swing my wiring way to the sides but again since I will be putting 6 of these groups of blocks in close proximity, I need to conserve horizontal space.

As a side note, I don’t use redstone power, this world only has BTW, BC, and IC2, so normal redtsone wiring is all I can use. At work so can’t post a picture of what I have right now, but it has been bugging me all day.

Cheers for any suggestions.
Glox

Re: Redstone help

Post by Glox »

redstone - repeater - Block w torch – repeater – Block w torch
redstone - redstone – repeater – redstone – repeater - Block w torch
redstone - repeater - Block w torch – repeater – block w torch

If you don't mind a 1 tick delay between the pumps, i think this should work. Placed 2 blocks below the blocks you want to power, and Block w torch is any solid block with a redstone torch placed on it. (you might have to invert the signal somewhere)
Spoiler
Show
Cobwebs = your pumps
Glass = your lightblock
bmanfoley

Post by bmanfoley »

Hopefully I'm understanding what you intended in your explanation. If vertical space isn't an issue, this will work. All blocks (in the pictures I use pistons as the desired block to be powered and yellow wool as the light block indicator) are powered on the same tick.

Powered off

Powered on

Some angles of the wiring
http://i.imgur.com/aoj5X.png
http://i.imgur.com/CaYS4.png
http://i.imgur.com/THp7h.png
http://i.imgur.com/6DlYo.png

Let me know if that helps!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I think I have an idea but it's tricky to display, I'm assuming that like many blocks they will only receive power if the redstone line hits them directly, this should power them at the same time and light the light block, but does require some depth, but most wires will be hidden, you can probably hide them completely if you make it a bit trickier. You can also move the light block left one block if you want to compact it more.

P=pump
-,|= redstone wires
= = empty space
L = light block
t = redston torch
b = any block

P-P
|=-L
P-P

=t=
tbt
=t=

===
=t=
===

===
=b-------to switch
===

Darn, ninja'd, with a neater solution and pictures.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Glox you sure this is toggling on and off? I am pretty sure I tried it, other wise I'll beat myself on the head. I know the picture is telling me it works.

bmanfoley, I had something like it going with the block dispensers placing the torches. But if i remember correctly the BC pumps act like the block dispensers and don't power that way. I'll try it again when I get home, ran through a bunch of configs this morning before work. Very compact indeed.

Yea gftweekm this is why I love the guys here, quick and on the ball! :)

Thanks guys.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Yeah i tested my setup and it works. Tho bmans setup is more compact horizontally and activates all pumps at the same tick so his is probably better.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I thought pumps were working like pistons, and were activated by adjacent powered blocks ?
If so, and if don't care about hiding it/need the space in between, the easiest would be :
Spoiler
Show
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Thanks for the help guys, the redstone is nice and compact, exactly what I wanted.

The finished product of my oil pumping station.

The wiring below, 6 sets of four pumps, each group connected to one switch.
Spoiler
Show
The Control room
Spoiler
Show
The main storage room
Spoiler
Show
What it used to look like, ugly!
Spoiler
Show
Outside
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Wait, you were talking about redstone engines? Then that's not compact at all. Why not just this?

Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

Yea, when I was at work I was calling them pumps, they are pumping oil! :) But you're right that would have worked as well, even activating the indicator light block.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Xecaquan wrote:Yea, when I was at work I was calling them pumps, they are pumping oil! :) But you're right that would have worked as well, even activating the indicator light block.
I was trying to make it work with pumps and was really confused by the replies here with redstone under a pump :)

I love the idea of an oil storage room btw, need to make that too :)
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

yea, Gilberreke this gives me space to store 3840 buckets of oil without looking like an eye sore next to my other buildings. Plus I like the control of pumping the oil without having to resetup engines every time I bring in more oil or need it for some other system.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Xecaquan wrote:Hey, all you redstone wizards. I am looking for suggestions on how to power 4 blocks in a square shape that only have one space between them; In the most compact horizontal way possible.

I am posting here on the BTW as I respect the community more than other MC forums.

So to be clear what I am trying to do is power 4 BC pumps that are 1 block apart in a square pattern, with a light block next to one side of the square (actual location on that side doesn’t matter I would rather middle) . Trying to keep it as compact as possible but depth is less of a concern than width, the reason for this is I am going to have 6 of these powered squares connected to a “control” room (so lever activated). I am trying to keep it in the 3 x 3 space for aesthetics, so the wiring will need to be hidden below as well. I’ll refer to the pumps as blocks as they react to restone exactly like block dispensers do.

Model (top down view, height is a single block):

Block – Space – Block
Space – Space – Space – Light Block (or any location on the sides, is an indicator)
Block – Space – Block

The “blocks” and the light block all turn on/off at the same time. I have tried a lot of different ways to do this, even using block dispensers in every way I could and just can’t keep it compact. No issue if swing my wiring way to the sides but again since I will be putting 6 of these groups of blocks in close proximity, I need to conserve horizontal space.

As a side note, I don’t use redstone power, this world only has BTW, BC, and IC2, so normal redtsone wiring is all I can use. At work so can’t post a picture of what I have right now, but it has been bugging me all day.

Cheers for any suggestions.
I'd get integrated redstone, as it works with BTW, BC, and Forge.

it allows you to put wiring on the under side of things etc, really handy mod. Otherwise use torches underneath each of them with repeaters going to the blocks that the torches are on using a staircase type approach:
side view
_________________________|Pump|
__________________|block| |Torch|
|Reapeater ||Block||Torch|

Repeat/flip etc.

With integrated redstone you could make it incredibly compact. :)
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Fallen Sun Gaming Administrator
-It's not about what you've got, it's what you make of what you've got.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

phantum wrote:

it allows you to put wiring on the under side of things etc, really handy mod. Otherwise use torches underneath each of them with repeaters going to the blocks that the torches are on using a staircase type approach:
side view

Repeat/flip etc.

Kinda takes the fun out of it though. No sense of achievement comes from mastering vMC's only challenging aspect if you take all the challenge out of it :|
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Stormweaver wrote:
phantum wrote:

side view

Repeat/flip etc.

Kinda takes the fun out of it though. No sense of achievement comes from mastering vMC's only challenging aspect if you take all the challenge out of it :|
Eh, well I've been doing things with redstone since alpha, so there really isn't much of a challenge for me anymore, thus I like how compact I can go with IR :P

But yeah, that does make a good point :P

On the same note though, you can do stuff like this with IR:
Spoiler
Show
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I think that is just from the core, or possibly the wires, not from IR, but im never thought of using it for anything but covers, time to make my homes look nicer now!
I also have never used IR because i still like having to make the logic gates by have and that sort of stuff, but im not here to judge how you do your redstone work

Side note: 500th Post, i need something else to do with my free time
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That is from the wiring, yes. It's also the thing that sold me on RP, rather than the actual wiring.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

phantum wrote:With integrated redstone you could make it incredibly compact. :)
Have you read the rest of the thread? Integrated redstone can't make this more compact than the solution put forth by me or Battosay.
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Gilberreke wrote:
phantum wrote:With integrated redstone you could make it incredibly compact. :)
Have you read the rest of the thread? Integrated redstone can't make this more compact than the solution put forth by me or Battosay.
basically what it would be, is using Battosay's Idea but on the bottom of the blocks.

Cause you can put the wiring underneath. :)

The method you offered wouldn't allow for a light block to be used in conjunction with it.

and in regards to being more compact I was referring to an alternative between the staggered torches.

[EDIT: I did it to prove my point]
powered
Show
Underneath
Show
Additional edit:

if you put the redstone wire (made from red alloy) on the side of the block underneath the lever, you don't have the wire coming above ground.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

phantum wrote:The method you offered wouldn't allow for a light block to be used in conjunction with it.
Sure it would, just place one against the torch or even in the block between two pumps
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Gilberreke wrote:
phantum wrote:The method you offered wouldn't allow for a light block to be used in conjunction with it.
Sure it would, just place one against the torch or even in the block between two pumps
Except he said he wanted it discreet, which means you can't do it with your method.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

phantum wrote:Except he said he wanted it discreet, which means you can't do it with your method.
What part of my method isn't discreet?
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Gilberreke wrote:
phantum wrote:Except he said he wanted it discreet, which means you can't do it with your method.
What part of my method isn't discreet?
The part where it's above ground :P
so the wiring will need to be hidden below as well.
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

phantum wrote:The part where it's above ground :P
Errr, my wires are below ground? The engines are below ground
Phantum

Post by Phantum »

Gilberreke wrote:
phantum wrote:The part where it's above ground :P
Errr, my wires are below ground? The engines are below ground
lol you don't get it
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Phantum