Better Transport

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DragonFire2876

Better Transport

Post by DragonFire2876 »

Ok sorry if this seems stupid but its been itching my for ages to chuck it out there so at least by this thread its out there people can like it or dislike it and i can say I've at least put it out there for so i know the idea isn't wasted(/rant)

I was thinking of a base to base "fast" transport system for people (and maybe items) and for that i just don't think the current minecart systems are fast enough especially for long distances and with the new biome's out and having a base in each biome would just be slow! unless you have TRAINS!

They would be able to move at twice the speed of your normal minecart (16 b/s instead of 8 b/s or 11.3 b/s if u use the diagonal or up and down hill exploit) and because of this there going to need stronger tracks (hi steel!) and of course flatter rail it takes 2 blocks of uphill track to go up 1 block

Trains should be as big as 2 mincarts pushed together (i kinda like the look of a minecart with furnace and minecart pushed together if only they where joined as 1 cart and ride-able) as well as possibly made with steel (i want this to be end game base to base not something you make for quick way to your mines) and powered by coal/charcoal or only nethercoal to make it that more difficult

As for the going up hill part kinda of like this
<R>
<B> <R> <R>
<B> <B> <B> <R> <R>
<B> <B> <B> <B> <B>

<B> = block
<R. = rail

Why cant we use iron rail instead of making new steel rail?
well iron rail isn't strong enough for the speeds and its to make it more end game as i said erlyer i want this to be a base to base line not something that you use to from your mine and back (unless your mines far away of course)

Why make it have to take 2 block just to go up 1 block?
look at your local rail when it comes to hills they flatten it as much as possible or just go strait through the hill to keep the most possible speed for the rails and so the train doesn't almost just hit a wall! the way minecart can go up 45 is close to silliness if they raised the angle any higher it would just be stupid though for the speed your hitting the angle it all seems ok. hitting that angle at double the speed wouldn't only look stupid but would be stupid.

I will now leave this in the hands of the BTW community judge it as you will and i hope this wasn't a waste of time writing!
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
M!C

Re: Better Transport

Post by M!C »

Mhm, I see some problems with your idea ...

Firstly minecart alternatives have been suggested and discussed more than a few times already (use the search function!!!) and also FC possibly has something planned already.

Secondly the current movement speed is already a strain on servers, I'm no expert but I doubt the map can load fast enough for 16m/s.
I know the mod is not SMP yet but that might change eventually.

Thirdly implementing another type of rails would make the vanilla ones redundant ... which is something FC usually dislikes.

So in summary: No.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

This isn't an alternative for minecarts, but it fixes things about minecarts that will make them better to use (it fixes the physics and makes the powered minecart better)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/960 ... te-912011/

It's currently out of date though and even the 1.7.3 version is incompatible with forge 1.0.6
Still it might be worth keeping an eye on the thread and bumping it.
DragonFire2876

Post by DragonFire2876 »

M!C wrote:Mhm, I see some problems with your idea ...

Firstly minecart alternatives have been suggested and discussed more than a few times already (use the search function!!!) and also FC possibly has something planned already.

Secondly the current movement speed is already a strain on servers, I'm no expert but I doubt the map can load fast enough for 16m/s.
I know the mod is not SMP yet but that might change eventually.

Thirdly implementing another type of rails would make the vanilla ones redundant ... which is something FC usually dislikes.

So in summary: No.
first things first i want it to be steel as an more expensive option so it doesn't make the iron rails redundant at all! and if FC does have something planed this at least MIGHT bring different insight that may change his views on what he is doing

secondly flower child has said
Note that Better Than Wolves is NOT currently multilayer compatible. It is a SINGLE PLAYER ONLY mod. It will be SMP compatible eventually, but frankly, bugging me about it just makes me want to do it less.
and i really don't think he will make it multilayer untill minecraft goes on a MASSIVE stand still and with the amount of items he has added i don't think it will ever be multilayer and as long as its single player i know that it will be able to take 16 b/s but i don't think it should go any faster ( I've flown with zeppelin mod at 20 b/s and it handles it just only whats close to you as if your in small view)

thirdly yes there are things that talk about changing minecart but like u said THEY CHANGE MINECARTS this is different because its a different system of rail it has trains not powered rail u need to power the whole thing with coal! and even still i would love the recipe to only give 6 rail so its even more expensive as I've made clear if you read it all i only want it to be used for base to base transport.
all procrastinators unite...............................tomorrow
M!C

Post by M!C »

DragonFire2876 wrote:-snip-
*Sigh* ... if you think so, go ahead ...

I still recommend reading those threads because when doing so you'll see my point more clearly ... oh and FC did say that SMP might come ... he just didn't make any promises / gave us a date
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

1) Whereas it is made of steel or iron doesn't change the fact that adding new rails is obviously redundant.
2) SMP is more than a possibility. It will happen.
3) cf 1) = New rail system = a waste of block ID, and a redundant possibility
4) Thread closed.